Who owns whom-pro cycling finance

Old July 22nd 04, 03:08 AM
mrbubl

Default Who owns whom-pro cycling finance

It is well known that the USPS no longer remains after the first of the
2005 season. Is the "new" Discovery Networks team automatically brought
into the pro ranks by proxy? Does UCI have to accept the new Discovery team?

Who does the DS work for? Does the sponsor contract with the DS? The
riders then contract with the DS or a company, such in the case of USPS
Thomas Wiesel & Partners? Do pro's get signing bonuses to come on board?

Now back to your regularly scheduled posts.........
Old July 22nd 04, 03:29 AM
RWM

"mrbubl" wrote in message
nk.net...
It is well known that the USPS no longer remains after the first of the
2005 season. Is the "new" Discovery Networks team automatically brought
into the pro ranks by proxy? Does UCI have to accept the new Discovery

team?

Who does the DS work for? Does the sponsor contract with the DS? The
riders then contract with the DS or a company, such in the case of USPS
Thomas Wiesel & Partners? Do pro's get signing bonuses to come on board?

Now back to your regularly scheduled posts.........

The team is the same..just the biggest sponsor changes. I believe that
Tailwind Sports is the name of the team. I think that the DS, and all of
the riders, work for the Tailwind. The DS is just another employee and he
would not have the right to take the riders if he left.

Old July 22nd 04, 05:21 AM
Faster Bordello

RWM wrote:

"mrbubl" wrote in message
nk.net...

It is well known that the USPS no longer remains after the first of the
2005 season. Is the "new" Discovery Networks team automatically brought
into the pro ranks by proxy? Does UCI have to accept the new Discovery

team?

Who does the DS work for? Does the sponsor contract with the DS? The
riders then contract with the DS or a company, such in the case of USPS
Thomas Wiesel & Partners? Do pro's get signing bonuses to come on board?

Now back to your regularly scheduled posts.........

The team is the same..just the biggest sponsor changes. I believe that
Tailwind Sports is the name of the team. I think that the DS, and all of
the riders, work for the Tailwind. The DS is just another employee and he
would not have the right to take the riders if he left.

This is true in some cases and not in others. The one that comes to
mind is Riis Sporting (I know that's not it's name but it close..).
Bjarne ownes the team, holds the contracts and most inportantly the UCI
license. Everyone works for him. Riis then shops his organisation to
sponsers to meet his operating expences. Cyclesport has a box in the
current issue regarding the UCI "Protour" that show who the owners are
and which teams they control.

Old July 22nd 04, 06:41 AM
RWM

"Faster Bordello" wrote in message
RWM wrote:

"mrbubl" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

You are correct of course, but I believe that almost all Division I teams
are structured like Tailwind. BS is one smart guy. It is exciting to see
the amount of success he ahs had with his team in a fairly short time frame.

Old July 22nd 04, 03:11 PM
DirtRoadie

"RWM" wrote in message ...

The team is the same..just the biggest sponsor changes. I believe that
Tailwind Sports is the name of the team. I think that the DS, and all of
the riders, work for the Tailwind. The DS is just another employee and he
would not have the right to take the riders if he left.

So who is "Tailwind Sports? The information I have (anecdotal) is that
the DS and one of the riders (guess who) are actually
owners/principals of the organization.

DR

Old July 22nd 04, 03:27 PM
Stewart Fleming

DirtRoadie wrote:
"RWM" wrote in message ...

The team is the same..just the biggest sponsor changes. I believe that
Tailwind Sports is the name of the team. I think that the DS, and all of
the riders, work for the Tailwind. The DS is just another employee and he
would not have the right to take the riders if he left.

So who is "Tailwind Sports? The information I have (anecdotal) is that
the DS and one of the riders (guess who) are actually
owners/principals of the organization.

Just out of interest, who is the bald-headed soigneur that attends to
Lance Armstrong immediately after the end of each stage. There's a
classic Graham Watson photo of him and Armstrong last year after Luz
Ardiden and he's shown up prominently after this years stages. USPS web
site is good on detail about the riders, not so much on those behind the
scenes.