Coker handle solution

Old March 23rd 04, 01:51 AM
john_childs

Default Coker handle solution

Krashin'Kenny wrote:
*Thanks guys!!!!
There's quite a variety of handles on your Cokers, but none of those
would work for me. That's what forced me to come up with this design.
There wasn't enough seatpost visible to use for a "standard" mounting
application *

Is the handle doing double duty as the seatpost clamp?

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old March 23rd 04, 01:08 PM
Krashin'Kenny

john_childs wrote:
*
Is the handle doing double duty as the seatpost clamp? *

Yes John,
Thank you, that's the point that I was trying to get across to
everybody!!!!! I had no other place to mount to handle due to
having to lower the seat all the way because of the air saddle.
That's the beauty of it. If a problem arises, I just buy another cheap
seatpost clamp and build another one. I'll try to post a better picture
of it (off the uni) this evening

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old March 23rd 04, 06:21 PM
john_childs

Krashin'Kenny wrote:
*Yes John,
Thank you, that's the point that I was trying to get across to
everybody!!!!! I had no other place to mount to handle due to
having to lower the seat all the way because of the air saddle.
That's the beauty of it. If a problem arises, I just buy another
cheap seatpost clamp and build another one. I'll try to post a better
picture of it (off the uni) this evening *

Now it's making sense. I was wondering why you had a quick release on
it. That's a clever idea.

Old March 23rd 04, 07:23 PM
unisk8r

Here's mine. I prefer the hand support way out front.

| Attachment filename: coker.handle2.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/199392|

unisk8r - All this for just cross-training?
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

Old March 23rd 04, 10:19 PM
Matt.P.Herbert

I have just finished converting my viscount saddle on my Pashley MUni
into an air seat and added a handle made out of a mountain bike
handlebar stem with a handlebar grip over it, although its at an angle
it seems OK to use with either hand. The airseat is fantastic, I should
have done it ages ago and would certainly recomend it to anyone who
hasn't.

| Attachment filename: viscount handle.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/199417|

Matt.P.Herbert - Muni Hungry Newbie
Matt.P.Herbert's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5486

Old March 23rd 04, 11:42 PM
Krashin'Kenny

john_childs wrote:
*
Now it's making sense. I was wondering why you had a quick release on
it. That's a clever idea. *

Here's the handle, detached from the Coker. Upon reinstalling it, I
realized the real beauty of it's simplicity. It can be adjusted to the
left or right (off-center) independently of the seat position.

| Attachment filename: handle.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/199428|

Old March 24th 04, 08:58 PM
vivalargo

I'm curious if the Coker handle is mainly used for tourning, which I
suspect. Most of my time is spent on a Muni, but I try and put in 2
days a week on my Coker. My main focus had been on speed, and I've
recently worked up to racing in local 10Ks. For pure velocity, I'm
finding that the form is the same I used to use when racing on
rollerblades, arms behind my back, bent slightly forward, and peddling
like crazy. Since I am basically practicing in a bottle (alone), are
you folks finding that a handle IN FRONT actually helps in increasing
top speed?

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

Old March 26th 04, 04:25 AM
unisk8r

Check out the thread "Road race times for Coker". John Foss' (front)
handle is set even lower than mine. Without being able to tell you the
specific dynamics of that position, I'd have to strongly consider it as
functional.