KH saddle problems

Old March 25th 04, 02:03 AM
daino149

Default KH saddle problems

I have been riding my Torker/KH for a few months now and I love it. It
is the most comfy saddle I have ever tried. But after only a couple
hundred miles on it, the cover is starting to rip. For those of you who
haven't seen the Torker/KH, the material is kind of rubbery vinyl, not
the normal cloth. It is only ripping near the staples. I will post
some pics when I get home.

Is there any easy fix for this problem? At the moment, I don't think it
affects the saddle at all, but it can only get worse.

Thanks,
Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

there ain't enough body armor in the country for me to try that. -- Ken
on the mtbr forum in reference to MUni

Old March 25th 04, 03:37 AM
Sofa

A temporary solution that I had, which lasted for alright period of
time, was streching a small tube, about a 2" piece out of a bike tube,
and stretched it over the seat. The rubber hid the torn parts, but if
yours is like mine, the material is torn where your thighs rub the seat?
This same thich movement will wear through the rubber tube.

I have since replaced that sub-par material with a Roach cover, which
works great.

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'It really doesn't matter, because in a few years, you will have every
size made' - chirokid's response to 20" or 24"?

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx) *93* reviews on
*63* products

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.02

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old March 25th 04, 07:54 AM
duaner

I've had the fabric come loose on band name KH saddles.

As far as I can tell/guess, the staples are _not_ really there to hold
the fabric in place - they were there to hold the fabric while the glue
sets. The glue is then supposed to hold the fabric down. So, my fix

Put glue on fabric and/or saddle frame where the two should meet. (I
use a good contact cement).

Pull the fabric into place, and use medium size paper clamps to hold it
in place while the glue dries. I use as many clamps as I can fit; the
clamps are a fine size, strong enuf to hold the fabric while the glue
sets.

--
duaner - -

duaner.
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

Old March 25th 04, 09:11 AM
daino149

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into both of them.

Brian,
Does the tube have to be particularly large? I vaguely remember you (or
someone with the same fix) say that a DH tube is needed. I have plenty
of old 20" BMX tubes but no DH on hand.

Thanks,
Daniel

Old March 25th 04, 07:39 PM
phil

The cover on mine is/was ripping along the edges. Duct tape is what you
need. Does the job nicely, doesn't make the cover any thicker, and it
can be replaced if it doesn't last.

John
(edit: err, yes, really me. But on the parents computer, and for some
reason I can't presuade it that phil isn't here anymore. Even got my
name on the screen. Random.)

--
phil - ex-studenty type

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

Old March 25th 04, 07:47 PM
phil

Argh! He's an imposter! Stop 'im!

Phil (the real one)

Old March 25th 04, 08:20 PM
Sofa

No Duct tape!

It all turns to gooey crap once it starts rubbing and stuff, leaving a
whole pile of crap attracting glue all over your seat...and pants....and
(hopefully shaven) bare skin.

I think that both a DH tube, and a 'normal' 24" tube both worked

The DH one would last longer before wearing through, though

Saddle review martin Techniques 6 May 8th 04 02:52 AM
Frame Fit: Sit-Bones, KOPS, Saddle Setback, Stem Length (Pete Cresswell) Mountain Biking 7 April 21st 04 10:41 PM
Possible Saddle Adjustment Needed? Tom Young Techniques 2 April 8th 04 05:41 AM