off to see the bike route

Old August 8th 04, 08:02 PM
Jeremy Parker

Default off to see the bike route

well, not strictly off to see the bike route, since it isn't there
yet, except in the sense that every road and every street is a bike
route. The route does exist in the form of a green line on a map
(which may be in the wrong place) so we're off to do a site survey,
or CRIM as its known here in London.

There's some bureaucrats, some consultants, a couple of other
cyclists, and me.

The original idea was to travel the route by bike, and that's what
the guidelines for CRIMs recommend. That can't be done, apparently,
although they have objection to me appearing on my bike. There are
insurance issues apparently, and problems with obtaining bicycles for
some participants (I suspect the local cycling officer may be one of
those lacking a bike)

Am I right to be worried about our local bike routes being in the
hands of people whose riding style makes them uninsurable?

I suppose I could be being unjustly rude about their bike riding. It
could be just that those organising the trip simply haven't the
faintest idea what is dangerous and what isn't. Given that those
people will likely be influencing the bike route design, that doesn't
make me very happy either.

Jeremy Parker

Old August 9th 04, 03:27 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Jeremy Parker" typed

well, not strictly off to see the bike route, since it isn't there
yet, except in the sense that every road and every street is a bike
route. The route does exist in the form of a green line on a map
(which may be in the wrong place) so we're off to do a site survey,
or CRIM as its known here in London.

and, how the f*** are you, David and the other 'Stakeholders'[1] going
to walk from Watling Avenue to Staples Corner in an hour (and then visit
Kingsbury Road)?

Where will you have your lunch? Chiquito's @ Staples Corner or will you
all divert to Brent Cross Torture Chamber's multiple restaurants,
demonstrating just how horrid it is to walk or cycle between these
locations?

I do hope you all have fun on Thursday...

{1] their words, not mine.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old August 9th 04, 05:54 PM
Jeremy Parker

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Jeremy Parker" typed

well, not strictly off to see the bike route, since it isn't

there
yet, except in the sense that every road and every street is a

bike
route. The route does exist in the form of a green line on a map
(which may be in the wrong place) so we're off to do a site

survey,
or CRIM as its known here in London.

and, how the f*** are you, David and the other 'Stakeholders'[1]

going
to walk from Watling Avenue to Staples Corner in an hour (and then

visit
Kingsbury Road)?

All the way to Burnt Oak by 9 am. Most uncivilised. I did make a
comment about yo-yoing in my thankyou letter. I have no idea how one
parks a car in any of these places (except Staples Corner), but
that's not my problem, since I propose to ride my bike.

Where will you have your lunch? Chiquito's @ Staples Corner or will

you
all divert to Brent Cross Torture Chamber's multiple restaurants,
demonstrating just how horrid it is to walk or cycle between these
locations?

I was wondering whether that accounted for the strange maneuvers.
I've never eaten at Chiquito's but it looks ok from the outside.

I do hope you all have fun on Thursday..

Hmm. I hope the weather improves. Presumably traffic engineers are
equipped to wander round outdoors, at least most of them

{1] their words, not mine.

Stakeholders, yes. I feel in need of a stake, and a mallet, too, in
view of rumours about undead transport politicians here in Barnet. I
remember seeing a giant inflatable pencil which I think could be
converted into quite a good stake, suitable for waving around at
meetings where the subect of whether or not I am a stakeholder might
come up. I can't remember where I saw it though. I thought it was
in a shop in Upper St, Islington, where they sell joke Christmas
presents and such, but when I went and asked, they denied all
knowledge of such things.

cheers

Jeremy