Car behaviour on Bourke Rd, Mascot

Old March 20th 10, 03:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
20cents[_2_]

Default Car behaviour on Bourke Rd, Mascot

The new cycleway on Bourke Rd, Mascot (?) is up and running apart from a
few incidents with glass on the cycleway. I hope that glass two days in
a row was just coincidence and not vandalism.

The car lane outside Bunnings has those half-width humps designed to
slow cars down but it did not take long before drivers realised that
they can avoid the hump by veering into the cycleway because there is no
physical barrier to prevent it.

A friend sent me some photos he took at the exact spot which capture
cars in the act. He has pointed out the problem to the authorities and
asked for them to remedy the omission of a barrier separating the
cycleway and car lane. We will see what happens.

In the meantime, if you use that cycleway, just be aware of the evasion
tactic because the drivers do not care if they endanger a cyclist's life
as long as they are not slowed down.

regards,
20 cents
Old March 20th 10, 06:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 20 Mar 2010 03:58:23 GMT
20cents wrote:
The car lane outside Bunnings has those half-width humps designed to
slow cars down but it did not take long before drivers realised that
they can avoid the hump by veering into the cycleway because there is no
physical barrier to prevent it.

And crucially... "You never see bikes there".

Damn chicken and egg thing. If there are lots of people using bike
lanes then gradually drivers get used to it and take that into
account. But if they seldom see a bike they never learn to look.
Meanwhile "don't need bike lanes, no one rides bikes here"

I find this all the time when using the suicide lanes through Rhodes.
I ride on the white line as far as I can get from the door zone and
regularly dodge people who think the lane's there so they can step out
past the cars without looking and get into their own car.

(Not to mention the truly stupid extension of the lane down the
hill where it stops just before the underpass where you have a few
metres to get across traffic that's concentrating on going around
the tight blind corner so you can turn right to get to the cycleway.
I don't bother with that lane either I take the middle of the road.)

Zebee
Old March 20th 10, 10:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Gettamulla Tupya[_2_]

[...]

Enjoy it while it lasts. There will soon be court action to have the cycleway removed.