Is Riding Really good for you

Old April 1st 10, 06:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Owen

Default Is Riding Really good for you

I just did a 150 minutes of hard (for me) riding.

Leaping off my bike at the end of this adventure, I grabbed my u beaut
Aldi bike computer to study the statistics.

Burnt 1200 calories and lost 85, yes 85 grams of fat! Cor, I am never
going to lose weight this way.

I suspect I need a computer that gives me better results.

Enjoy the long weekend

Owen
Old April 1st 10, 09:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
hemyd

Owen" wrote in message

I just did a 150 minutes of hard (for me) riding.

Leaping off my bike at the end of this adventure, I grabbed my u beaut
Aldi bike computer to study the statistics.

Burnt 1200 calories and lost 85, yes 85 grams of fat! Cor, I am never
going to lose weight this way.

I suspect I need a computer that gives me better results.

Enjoy the long weekend

Owen

I had an Aldi wireless bike computer which at random reported me doing over
90 kph when standing still! After collecting it from it's parking spot at
the end of the day, I'd find my bike did hundreds of kilometres of cycling
since the morning. When I communicated with the manufacturer's support line,
I was told that the sensor could respond to any transmitter nearby, so that
was that. needless to say, I ditched the wireless meter.

Henry.

Old April 2nd 10, 03:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF wrote:

Same here. I was waiting at traffic lights, sitting over the induction coil they
use to sense cars. My cyclocomputer was showing 181 kph.

Tell us the wheel size set in your computer, and we'll tell you
the frequency of the interference.

John

Old April 2nd 10, 04:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Owen wrote:
I just did a 150 minutes of hard (for me) riding.

Good on yer, Owen. Just take it easy for the first few times and build
up your strenght and speed at your own pace.

Leaping off my bike at the end of this adventure, I grabbed my u beaut
Aldi bike computer to study the statistics.

Burnt 1200 calories and lost 85, yes 85 grams of fat! Cor, I am never
going to lose weight this way.

Hahahahah, 85gms is 85gms, matey You'll lose weight, you will.

A good diet helps as well - my rule of thumb is equal weights of meat,
carbs, veges. Stuff if I know where I got the idea from but I am too
lazy to figure out how much to eat so I figured that if I gave
everything equal weights I can eat as much as I like, which I do

One thing I have noticed from all my cycling is that I am more inclined
to work on my pecs and abs when I am NOT cycling and yes, I do have some
nice ones coming along thank you So there you go, hopefully that
gives you a bit of incentive to climb on that bike more often.

I suspect I need a computer that gives me better results.

I have heard of computers which also measure cadence so that could be
useful for you as well.

Enjoy the long weekend

You too.
Old April 2nd 10, 03:20 PM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 14:05:26 +1100, Geoff Lock wrote:

A good diet helps as well - my rule of thumb is equal weights of meat,
carbs, veges.

What are these "carbs" you eat that are not vegetables?
Nuts? Fruit?
Old April 2nd 10, 03:41 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

terryc wrote:
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 14:05:26 +1100, Geoff Lock wrote:

A good diet helps as well - my rule of thumb is equal weights of meat,
carbs, veges.

What are these "carbs" you eat that are not vegetables?
Nuts? Fruit?

Sorry, I meant carbs are stuff like bread, chippies, rice, etc. I am no
nutritional expert as you can tell, nor am I a weight loss expert

Veges are of cos, those green leafy stuff or sometimes, non-green and
non-leafy stuff
Old April 2nd 10, 04:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 01:41:55 +1100, Geoff Lock wrote:

terryc wrote:
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 14:05:26 +1100, Geoff Lock wrote:

A good diet helps as well - my rule of thumb is equal weights of meat,
carbs, veges.

What are these "carbs" you eat that are not vegetables? Nuts? Fruit?

Sorry, I meant carbs are stuff like bread, chippies, rice, etc. I am no
nutritional expert as you can tell, nor am I a weight loss expert

lol. AFAIK, these are the very things you should try and minimise. Fairly
concentrated energy that if it isn't burnt off quickly, basically ends up
as fat.

Old April 2nd 10, 05:07 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

terryc wrote:
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 14:05:26 +1100, Geoff Lock wrote:

A good diet helps as well - my rule of thumb is equal weights of meat,
carbs, veges.
What are these "carbs" you eat that are not vegetables? Nuts? Fruit?

Sorry, I meant carbs are stuff like bread, chippies, rice, etc. I am no
nutritional expert as you can tell, nor am I a weight loss expert

lol. AFAIK, these are the very things you should try and minimise. Fairly
concentrated energy that if it isn't burnt off quickly, basically ends up
as fat.

Who said anything about minimising anything? I eat as much as I can
in one sitting. I do know that it is difficult to eat a 250gm piece of
steak, plus 250 gm of bread/chippies and 250gm of veges/salad but I
usually do leave my plate empty I am only a nutritional expert in the
sense that I know a lot of nice places to eat at and I eat lots

Incidentally I am NOT trying to lose weight, I carry 72 kgs on a 6'
frame. I have no idea if that is a good proportion as I am more
concerned that I fit reasonably ok on my road bike which came from a
6'4" guy (so I am told) - more fine tuning to go but I'll get there.

In my case, cycling seems to have toned my body rather than lose massive
amounts of weight. It's probably because of all the wrong things I do in
my dietary habits. I weighed 78kgs when I started cycling some 2 and a
half years ago. I really don't know if my weight loss is due to
cycling or not as I started cycling to get around to places.

This sustained period of cycling has made me feel damn good after many
many years of a largely sendentary lifestyle. I know that if I ever get
runned over by a B-double semi trailer late one night on a long dark
lonely road, my leftover bits will be amongst the best looking in the
morgue
Old April 4th 10, 08:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

John Henderson wrote:
Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF wrote:

Same here. I was waiting at traffic lights, sitting over the induction coil they
use to sense cars. My cyclocomputer was showing 181 kph.

Tell us the wheel size set in your computer, and we'll tell you
the frequency of the interference.

That was years ago. I no longer have that bike.

Given a computer set up for a 26" or 700c wheel, 181 km/h will
result from a triggering frequency quite close to 25 Hertz.

John