Doing drops with cotterless

Old June 21st 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Doing drops with cotterless

So, tonight I bought a Yuni 24" Muni with a Gazzaloddi tire. The thing
is that it has cotterless hub/cranks. Just wondering what the
limitations are when doing drops. I figure I cant do huge drops. I
bent my LX axle trying an 18" drop with 170mm cranks (I weigh 170lbs).
I am assuming that the Chromoly UDC hub is a little stronger than my
torker.

I figured down the road I can upgrade to the profile or something... I
just wanted that fat tire for now.

Thanks
-Wayde

--
wayde is a pirate
wayde is a pirate's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12064

Old June 21st 06, 09:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I've been riding my muni with UDC cr-mo hub for a couple of years with
no problems. I'm not into big drops, but the trails round here are
very rocky so it gets a fair amount of abuse. The biggest actual
"drops" I ride off are probably no more than 18" or so, but the rocky
trails are like repeated 3 or 4" drops continuously. I ride it to work
quite a bit (10 miles each way cross-country), so it's done a fair few
miles.
I reckon they're plenty strong enough if you make sure the cranks are
nice and tight and don't do any silly massive drops.
I weigh about 12 stone (168lbs).

Rob

--
rob.northcott

'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
weekend in May 2006
Same again next year anyone? It'll be dry, I promise.

Old June 21st 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

hey Jerrick
I've got the same uni as you. I'm running a 1.95 tire with a stock seat
for trials. What is your set up and do you know how big of a tire will
fit in the frame?

--
stuckinwheeliemode
stuckinwheeliemode's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11984

Old June 21st 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I bust my muni cotterless hub after a year of riding and doing nothing
bigger than 2ft, however it probably took hundreds of 1ft drops during
that time, and I weigh 14 stone and probably had bad technique back
then.

--
kington99

Dave

Old June 21st 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

kington99 wrote:
I bust my muni cotterless hub after a year of riding and doing nothing
bigger than 2ft

Was that the new type or the old type? I don't know how you can tell,
but I remember Roger mentioning something about a change to the hubs to
make them stronger, around the time I bought mine.

Rob

Old June 21st 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

It was before the introduction of the UDC wide cromo, which I believe is
significantly stronger, and is the standard for UDC unis now. The newer
hubs are black and have uniycle.com CrMo hub printd on them, the old
hubs were silver.

--
kington99

Dave

Old June 21st 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

kington99 wrote:
It was before the introduction of the UDC wide cromo, which I believe is
significantly stronger, and is the standard for UDC unis now. The newer
hubs are black and have uniycle.com CrMo hub printd on them, the old
hubs were silver.

Right, I didn't know it was that obvious Mine's a black one,
so presumably the newer type. Seems to be pretty strong.

Rob

Old June 21st 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

when i bought my unicycle with cotterless hub the guy i bought it off
said if you land properly you could do up to 1 - 1.5 metres if i landed
it properly. ive done many drops over a metre and i found that nothing
has screwed up so far.

--
tomtrevor

wanna see wacked bikes at their best visit www.mediahug.com/bikes
tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118

Doing drops with cotterless Jerrick Unicycling 0 June 21st 06 07:17 AM
Tire to pedals off drops? president_luke Unicycling 5 April 26th 06 09:49 PM
Help with drops. Hermit Unicycling 9 August 1st 05 02:48 AM
Seat out drops: Why? How? ChangingLINKS.com Unicycling 6 March 5th 05 08:59 AM
landing drops muniracer Unicycling 18 January 16th 04 12:39 AM