Mavic R-SYS carbon ultimate

Old June 15th 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
hizark21

Default Mavic R-SYS carbon ultimate

(http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/art...ultimate-road-
wheelset-21511?img=1&pn=mavic-r-sys-ultimate-road-wheelset&mlc=news
%2Farticle )

With all the problems with the Mavic r-sys pro wheel it certainly
raises some questions about Mavic's r-sys carbon ultimate wheels.
Awhile back saw these on display at the Amgen Tour of California. I
asked the Mavic employee how much out of true would be before Mavic
would warranty the wheel. His repsonse was that carbon fiber does not
bend. Recently I talked to a friend and tells me that carbon fiber
does bend. Now I realize that this is still a unreleased test product.
But it does raise certain questions especially for a wheelset that
will have a estimated $3000 MSRP. So given this in my mind a wheelset
that cannot be trued is not worth the money. One of the big problems
is that there is so many pot holes especially in San Diego. When I
first started racing there was very few pot holes and you knew where
the pot holes were. These days if you take you eyes off the road for a
minute you will inevitably hit a pot hole.

Old June 16th 09, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
P. Chisholm

On Jun 15, 1:10*pm, hizark21 wrote:
[...]

Anybody that buys carbon anything from mavic is nutz...IMHO.

Old June 16th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Robert Chung" wrote in message
hizark21 wrote:
One of the big problems
is that there is so many pot holes especially in San Diego. When I
first started racing there was very few pot holes and you knew where
the pot holes were. These days if you take you eyes off the road for a
minute you will inevitably hit a pot hole.

Prop 13.

It's always interesting to see what sort of creature dislikes Prop 13. Gee,
somehow it is always someone that isn't effected by it or someone who would
profit without it.

Old June 16th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"P. Chisholm" wrote in message

Anybody that buys carbon anything from mavic is nutz...IMHO.

As most people should know, Mavic is a French company and hence don't feel
the need to be responsible to any other country.

Old June 16th 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_2_]

Default paging Jacobouwsky ... paging Jacobouwsky ...

Tom Kunich wrote:
"Robert Chung" wrote

Prop 13.

It's always interesting to see what sort of creature dislikes Prop
13. Gee, somehow it is always someone that isn't effected by it or
someone who would profit without it.

Mike:

You know you want to.

Old June 16th 09, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

P. Chisholm wrote:
Anybody that buys carbon anything from mavic is nutz...IMHO.

The Mavic Cosmics with the Open Pro rim bonded to carbon aero fairing
is pretty bomb proof.

Old June 16th 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

When I look at wheels, there are a number of factors I consider.
Weight, aerodynamics, cost, strength (resistance to sharp impacts,
resistance to catastrophic failure, etc.), durability/reliability
(resistance to the elements, resistance to cyclic loads), and
serviceability (ease and cost of maintenance).

For me, the R-sys series of wheels don't compare well with other
wheels when I look at all of these factors. While being lightweight,
they aren't lighter than other comparably priced wheels (or
considerably cheaper ones, for that matter). The fat carbon spokes
have poor aerodynamics. They're relatively expensive. While according
Mavic's data, they have a high degree of lateral stiffness, they seem
to fail catastrophically when overstressed, and in some cases
overstressing seems to occur within normal riding limits. Their
technology is very new (Tracomp), so there is limited data on
durability/reliability. Like many high end wheels (e.g. Topolino),
serviceability is poor, repairs must be performed at the manufacturer
or their representative, at unknown costs.

There are a lot of alternative choices out there. I'm currently riding
on a set of Easton EA90 SLX's (I don't race any more so I can ride
nice wheels all the time), they were cheap, decently aero, light,
stiff enough for me, and have more traditional strength and durability
behaviors.

What are some other good choices that people like?

Old June 16th 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Norman

On Jun 16, 11:43*am, Donald Munro wrote:
P. Chisholm wrote:
Anybody that buys carbon anything from mavic is nutz...IMHO.

The Mavic Cosmics with the Open Pro rim bonded to carbon aero fairing
is pretty bomb proof.

Mail 'em here, I'll whip up a few myriagrams of ammonium
perchlorate and we can see if your hypothesis "holds water".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJVOUgCm5Jk