Best helmet for visibility? (color on underside of rear)

Old November 7th 04, 09:54 PM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 12:44:59 -0800,
, Dan Daniel
wrote:

The solution is to buy non-adhesive reflective and glue it on with
cyanoacrylate.

Guy

Have you done this? Cyanoacrylates/ super glue will eat many foams.

You have to use special ones labelled "foam safe". They work on the
pink or blue foam insulation but I've never used them on a helmet.
--
zk
Old November 7th 04, 10:44 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 12:44:59 -0800, Dan Daniel
wrote in message
:

The solution is to buy non-adhesive reflective and glue it on with
cyanoacrylate.

Have you done this? Cyanoacrylates/ super glue will eat many foams.

I have indeed. I used Loctite gel superglue to glue the velcro
fixings for my visor and the reflectives on the back of my helmet.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old November 8th 04, 01:30 AM
Frank Krygowski

Chip C wrote:

I've been thinking about this, and my own personal opinion, being
someone with no professional expertise in this whatsoever, is that a
solid bright colour, like white or yellow, is your best bet. My
thinking is that you not only need a colour bright enough to draw the
eye, but you need to present a shape that the viewer recognizes as a
person on a bike, and can quickly get an accurate bearing and range
on. That's where the solid colour comes in.

I'm convinced that isolated bright lights, little stripes of reflecto,
complex patterns of loud colour, etc, may nominally be visible from a
great distance, but it can form part of the visual noise of a
streetscape without imprinting "hey, there's a cyclist".

I do agree with the other poster who suggested that your jacket or
jersey will make more difference than your helmet.

Although I also lack professional expertise in the matter, I think most
of the worry about cyclist visibility is excessive. I wouldn't
purposely camoflauge myself, but I've never seen evidence that ordinary
colors are inadequate in daytime. As mentioned in another thread, _all_
my commuting is in ordinary clothing. In cool weather, that includes a
dark green jacket. I can recall only two incidents where people didn't
see me and started to pull out in front of me - but both stopped, and
apologized!

At night, I think the best "signature of a cyclist" devices are rear LED
blinkies, and reflectors on pedals & wheels. The motion is very
characteristic and immediately telegraphs "cyclist." And reflectors
placed low are very bright indeed.

I know there are some prominent cyclists who are anti-reflector, but
I've never bought into that. Just be sure you don't use reflectors in
_place_ of lights.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old November 8th 04, 02:07 AM
Jeff Potter

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message ...
Jeff Potter wrote:

Anyone know of a good helmet at a good price for visibility safety?

[ ]
Your head probably isn't tipped down as much as you think, unless you stare at
your feet while you ride. Put a strip of good, 3M reflective tape around your
helmet, and a few pieces here and there on your bike and clothing.

I just like sensible design.

I've made up for bad design in the past with lots of tape. It's ugly.
I'd like to refresh my 15-yr-old helmet scene with a product that
doesn't need to be uglied up to work. A good solid color should do the
trick.

Regarding the other reply, I ride all kinds of bikes and notice how
different biker items look when I drive. No jacket for me unless it's
cold and the jacket is real breathable. And no pennant making noise. A
forward-facing white strobe plus red rear blinker seems like good
ideas, tho.

--JP
Old November 9th 04, 01:18 AM
Matt O'Toole

Jeff Potter wrote:

I've made up for bad design in the past with lots of tape. It's ugly.
I'd like to refresh my 15-yr-old helmet scene with a product that
doesn't need to be uglied up to work. A good solid color should do the
trick.

Strips of reflective tape don't have to be ugly. Use your artistic sense, and
make a nice pinstripe, or artfully placed dots or something. You only need a
little bit to be effective -- even a 1/8" pinstripe would work.

Regarding the other reply, I ride all kinds of bikes and notice how
different biker items look when I drive. No jacket for me unless it's
cold and the jacket is real breathable.

IMO, all cycling clothing should have reflective material built in. Even little
bits of piping can be very effective. I have a black backpack with a couple of
3" zipper pulls made of reflective cord, and even those show up in headlights
from a hundred feet away. Strangely, this kind of piping appears on lots of
clothing, without being reflective. Stripes are "in," but unfortunately not
reflective ones. It's even more important these days with dark colors being in
fashion. I don't understand why my Sidi shoes, which are purely bike shoes,
don't have a reflective patch on the rear, which just about every running shoe
in existence does.

I was discussing all this yesterday with a friend who did the RAAM this summer.
He was describing the RAAM requirements for reflective material, etc. He has
silver reflective tape on his bike, which blends right in with the bare Ti
finish. Nice, and very effective. You can get good quality reflective tape in
all kinds of colors these days, even black, to match whatever you're putting it
on.

Matt O.

Old November 9th 04, 05:13 PM
Jeff Potter

Thanks! You make VERY good points for reflecto tape. I'll do it! I
like the pinstriping in matching colors idea. But I also have to have
my stuff be visible in all weather, including plain old daytime.
Anyway, I went and ordered an Orange Limar, on sale at Perf. We'll see
how it plays!

There's a racer-type around here who trains at twilight in murky,
no-reflectors, no light, in basically a road-camo outfit/bike:
gray/navy/black---on a dark navy bike, blackwall tires, navy helmet.
They wear winter gear that's all dark, too. I'm very surprised. My
wife and I both note how this rider is VERY hard to see when we
encounter him/her while driving---I usually see them on the other side
of the road and do a doubletake before I pick up that it's a cyclist.

---JP
Old November 9th 04, 05:18 PM
Jeff Potter

The red rear blinky PLUS pedal reflecto does sound like the BEST.
---That pedal motion will indeed be a GREAT cue.

I still think a bright helmet in daytime is also a great CUE.

I haven't had people almost hit me, so you do have a good point,
Frank. However, the roads are getting busier. And on one of our very
busy streets I do have a few cars pass me within inches. I think
bright colors might help. ---Also an orange triangle 'distancer'
(scratcher!) that sticks to the left a foot would probably work but is
too dorky for me at this time.

--JP
Old November 9th 04, 05:41 PM
Frank Krygowski

Jeff Potter wrote:

I haven't had people almost hit me, so you do have a good point,
Frank. However, the roads are getting busier. And on one of our very
busy streets I do have a few cars pass me within inches.

Usually, that means you're riding too far to the right. When you take
more of the lane, they tend to go further around you. And if they
don't, you've got a bit of escape room.

I think
bright colors might help. ---Also an orange triangle 'distancer'
(scratcher!) that sticks to the left a foot would probably work but is
too dorky for me at this time.

If it makes you nervous to take the lane, you might try one of those
lateral flags. If you do, why not report back here? I'd be curious
about the results.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot