Why cycling is not dangerous and riders never go over the handlebars!

Old December 15th 10, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

Default Why cycling is not dangerous and riders never go over the handlebars!

This from a certain Ian Jackson in urcm:

In article 20101213224910.00673daf@gododdin,
Simon Brooke wrote:

I wouldn't know. Except when I went head first into a cliff I've never
been over the handlebars.

Everyone has seen the video of my front camera falling into the
spokes
and locking up my front wheel at 20+mph ?

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ijackson/bikecams/
Top entry "2007-9-15 Crash"

--
Ian Jackson personal email:

These opinions are my own. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ijackson/
PGP2 key 1024R/0x23f5addb, fingerprint 5906F687 BD03ACAD 0D8E602E
FCF37657

Old December 15th 10, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
Old December 15th 10, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Simon Brooke wrote:

I wouldn't know. Except when I went head first into a cliff I've
never been over the handlebars.

Everyone has seen the video of my front camera falling into the
spokes
and locking up my front wheel at 20+mph ?

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ijackson/bikecams/
Top entry "2007-9-15 Crash"

You probably think you have some sort of point, but I have to say
you're not doing a terribly good job of making it.

Old December 15th 10, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Derek C wrote:

This

Presumably you have a link to show where IJ, or indeed anyone who rides
regularly, specifically said "cycling is not dangerous and riders never
go over the handlebars" rather than you simply inferring or spinning
what they actually said.

Otherwise, do you have a point?

--
Paul - xxx
Old December 15th 10, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

Simon Brooke wrote:

I wouldn't know. Except when I went head first into a cliff I've never
been over the handlebars.

Everyone has seen the video of my front camera falling into the
spokes
and locking up my front wheel at 20+mph ?

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ijackson/bikecams/
Top entry "2007-9-15 Crash"

Incredible - what a knob he really is.
Old December 15th 10, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Dec 15, 2:04*pm, "Paul - xxx" wrote:
Derek C wrote:
This

Presumably you have a link to show where IJ, or indeed anyone who rides
regularly, specifically said "cycling is not dangerous and riders never
go over the handlebars" rather than you simply inferring or spinning
what they actually said.

Otherwise, do you have a point?

--
Paul - xxx

Several contributors to this group, including Messrs. Chapman and
Ravin, have suggested that cycling is not at all dangerous and
cyclists never go over the handlebars and fall on their heads. Hence
there is no justification for wearing cycle helmets. The official DfT
road accident ststistics show a somewhat different picture, with 38%
of cyclists involved in accidents suffering some degree of head or
facial injury. I myself have suffered such an injury when falling off
a bike.

Cycling is great fun, a practical way of making short local journeys
and keeps you fit. However it is intrinsically more dangerous than
driving a modern car, so in my opinion it is worth taking sensible
precautions such as wearing a decent cycle helmet. I will now sit back
and wait for all the flack from the psycholists.

Derek C
Old December 15th 10, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

Old December 15th 10, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Derek C wrote:
This

Presumably you have a link to show where IJ, or indeed anyone who
rides regularly, specifically said "cycling is not dangerous and
riders never go over the handlebars" rather than you simply
inferring or spinning what they actually said.

Otherwise, do you have a point?

Several contributors to this group, including Messrs. Chapman and
Ravin, have suggested that cycling is not at all dangerous and
cyclists never go over the handlebars and fall on their heads.

So the answer is no, you don't have a link to show where anyone
actually said "cycling is not dangerous and riders never go over the
handlebars"

So again, do you have a point?

--
Paul - xxx
Old December 15th 10, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

Old December 15th 10, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

Derek C wrote:
This

Presumably you have a link to show where IJ, or indeed anyone who
rides regularly, specifically said "cycling is not dangerous and
riders never go over the handlebars" rather than you simply
inferring or spinning what they actually said.

Otherwise, do you have a point?

Several contributors to this group, including Messrs. Chapman and
Ravin, have suggested that cycling is not at all dangerous and
cyclists never go over the handlebars and fall on their heads.

So the answer is no, you don't have a link to show where anyone
actually said "cycling is not dangerous and riders never go over the
handlebars"

So again, do you have a point?

--
Paul - xxx/

Yes. In my opinion it is sensible to wear a cycle helmet when riding a
bicycle.

Derek C