why do cyclists think that they don't need lights at night?

Old December 8th 10, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterG

Default why do cyclists think that they don't need lights at night?

On Dec 8, 6:57*am, Doug wrote:
On Dec 8, 1:08*am, JNugent wrote: On 07/12/2010 21:57, Mrcheerful wrote:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...lice_launch_cr....

Unconscious humour?

"POLICE have launched a crackdown on cyclists who are putting their lives at
risk by riding without lights during terrible conditions at the darkest time
of the year.

"Officers stopped 33 riders in two hours at Bournemouth s Cemetery Junction...".

Maybe the cyclists think it won't make much difference anyway to half-
blind killer drivers. When I was rammed I was using lights and the
motorist admitted he didn't even see me. Pity the police can't pull
over drivers to test their night vision.

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
*http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Old December 8th 10, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Default why do motorists kill cyclists who are using lights?

On 08/12/2010 06:57, Doug wrote:
On Dec 8, 1:08 am, wrote:
On 07/12/2010 21:57, Mrcheerful wrote:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...lice_launch_cr...

Unconscious humour?

"POLICE have launched a crackdown on cyclists who are putting their lives at
risk by riding without lights during terrible conditions at the darkest time
of the year.

"Officers stopped 33 riders in two hours at Bournemouth s Cemetery Junction...".

Maybe the cyclists think it won't make much difference anyway to half-
blind killer drivers.

So you are saying that these cyclists are stupid because they do not
care about themselves or anybody else.

When I was rammed I was using lights and the
motorist admitted he didn't even see me.

Anecdotal.

Pity the police can't pull
over drivers to test their night vision.

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Have you had your eyes tested for night vision?

--
Tony Dragon
Old December 8th 10, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 08/12/2010 07:22, Doug wrote:
On Dec 8, 7:04 am, wrote:
Doug wrote:
On Dec 8, 1:08 am, wrote:
On 07/12/2010 21:57, Mrcheerful wrote:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...lice_launch_cr...

Unconscious humour?

"POLICE have launched a crackdown on cyclists who are putting their
lives at risk by riding without lights during terrible conditions at
the darkest time
of the year.

"Officers stopped 33 riders in two hours at Bournemouth s Cemetery
Junction...".

Maybe the cyclists think it won't make much difference anyway to half-
blind killer drivers. When I was rammed I was using lights and the
motorist admitted he didn't even see me. Pity the police can't pull
over drivers to test their night vision.

were you killed then or is then

I was injured as luckily it happened at slow speed. I could easily
have been killed.

Anecdotal.

any mention of a lit cyclist being killed?
if not then why change the thread title yet again?

Because it is deliberately biased against cyclists on a cycling
newsgroup and originates from a motorist.

Doug

Are, you mean, because the post mentioned about some cyclists.
Do you approve of cycling without lights, a simple yes or no will do as
an answer.

--
Tony Dragon
Old December 8th 10, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
back to the boats

On Dec 7, 9:57*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...lice_launch_cr...

As a lorry driver it has always horrified me driving past works and
factories as all the titheads on bikes come out without lights in the
dark. They are earning wages so they cannot plead poverty they must
think hospital or the grave is better than being safe being seen
Old December 8th 10, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Dec 8, 9:18*am, Tony Dragon wrote:
On 08/12/2010 07:22, Doug wrote:

On Dec 8, 7:04 am, *wrote:
Doug wrote:
On Dec 8, 1:08 am, *wrote:
[...]

No it won't. Why do you always try to simplify everything to the point
of absurdity? Is it because you have difficulty understanding these
issues?

Again! Cycle lights are no protection against dangerous drivers and
neither are pavements, high-viz vests or helmets. What is needed is
some way of getting rid of dangerous drivers instead of punishing
vulnerable cyclists instead.

Doug.

Old December 8th 10, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
CJ[_2_]

On 7 Dec, 21:57, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...lice_launch_cr...

Just to make it clear, I am responding to "Why do cyclists think they
don't need lights at night?"

One possible reason is the law that forbids the sale of a bicycle
unless it's festoned with reflectors, but does not require any lights.
Since reflectors clearly have no purpose except in the dark, at best
this sends out a badly mixed up message and at worst sows the seeds of
an idea that lights might be optional in some circumstances - maybe on
bikepaths, maybe where there's street lights...

So why don't we also require bikes to be sold complete with lights,
like cars and like in France and Germany? You'll have to ask the Dept
of Transport about that. It's been suggested a number of times and CTC
has always supported the idea - even though most of our members would
rather buy their own, better quality lights.
Old December 8th 10, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Dec 8, 1:17*pm, CJ wrote:
[...]

From what I have seen locally, many bikes have no reflectors (or
lights) whatsoever, so their owners must have removed them to save
weight or something. Or maybe they have just fallen off over time
through lack of maintenance! Reflectors give drivers at least some
chance of seeing and avoiding cyclists at night, but they only work if
a light source is directed at them.

Derek C
Old December 8th 10, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 08/12/2010 13:17, CJ wrote:
On 7 Dec, 21:57, wrote:
[...]

You are surely not suggesting that some cyclists are to thick or tight
to buy lights

--
Tony Dragon
Old December 8th 10, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

use lights and wear bright clothes at night, how dim are these cyclists? Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 24 September 12th 10 06:28 AM
Riding at night with my new lights siafirede Unicycling 13 October 10th 07 03:16 PM
Night lights cathwood Unicycling 16 September 7th 06 04:32 PM
Night lights tomkarches Unicycling 1 September 6th 06 09:41 PM
Night lights Phil Lee, Squid Techniques 4 August 11th 06 03:20 PM