"Thanks for Lights"

Old November 4th 19, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default "Thanks for Lights"

One of my friends posted this today:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YixXj54zGDGfcfYT8

"In the morning twilight, a bus driver thanked me for having bright
lights on my bicycle. I felt like I was in civilization again."

Contrary to what some people believe, drivers really do appreciate
cyclists that take steps to make themselves conspicuous.

Old November 4th 19, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 1:52:52 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
One of my friends posted this today:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YixXj54zGDGfcfYT8

"In the morning twilight, a bus driver thanked me for having bright
lights on my bicycle. I felt like I was in civilization again."

Contrary to what some people believe, drivers really do appreciate
cyclists that take steps to make themselves conspicuous.

For awhile I had my license removed because of seizures. During the winter of that year I had to go to all of my early appointments on a bike. I put on really bright lights and the large trucks in this heavy transportation area would all go clear over to the opposite side of the road not knowing what in the hell could make all of that light.
Old November 4th 19, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, 4 November 2019 16:52:52 UTC-5, sms wrote:
One of my friends posted this today:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YixXj54zGDGfcfYT8

"In the morning twilight, a bus driver thanked me for having bright
lights on my bicycle. I felt like I was in civilization again."

Contrary to what some people believe, drivers really do appreciate
cyclists that take steps to make themselves conspicuous.

It's one thing to have a bright light at twilight or in inclement weather conditions but it's quite another thing to posit that a bicyclist must have a bright DRL all day long even in bright light.

Cheers
Old November 5th 19, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 1:52:52 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
One of my friends posted this today:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YixXj54zGDGfcfYT8

"In the morning twilight, a bus driver thanked me for having bright
lights on my bicycle. I felt like I was in civilization again."

Contrary to what some people believe, drivers really do appreciate
cyclists that take steps to make themselves conspicuous.

How does that even happen? The bus driver stops in traffic, pulls to the other side of the road, addresses the approaching cyclist "hey, thanks for the light"? And what does it mean to be back in civilization, which is kind of where you find buses.

I'm happy if they stay on their side of the road and don't run me down from behind or pull out and take me into traffic. One must learn bus herding skills around here.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 5th 19, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 12:31:40 AM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 1:52:52 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
One of my friends posted this today:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YixXj54zGDGfcfYT8

"In the morning twilight, a bus driver thanked me for having bright
lights on my bicycle. I felt like I was in civilization again."

Contrary to what some people believe, drivers really do appreciate
cyclists that take steps to make themselves conspicuous.

How does that even happen? The bus driver stops in traffic, pulls to the other side of the road, addresses the approaching cyclist "hey, thanks for the light"? And what does it mean to be back in civilization, which is kind of where you find buses.

I'm happy if they stay on their side of the road and don't run me down from behind or pull out and take me into traffic. One must learn bus herding skills around here.

-- Jay Beattie.

I've had several long conversations with bus drivers about bicycles, bicycle lanes, lamps on bicycles, etc. Bus drivers are keenly interested in matters cycling, for their own protection among other reasons. For instance, at the bike rental station next to the bus station in the centre of the city, several bus drivers talked to me as I inspected the bikes. I've more than once been approached by bus drivers at the supermarket; one wanted me to tell a guy who commutes to the city that in the winter he should wear light clothes and for God sake not come down the narrow back road with its tight turns but stick to the highway which a wide hard shoulder.

Andre Jute
One of the nastiest habits so ingrained on RBT that I'm apparently the only one who notices it as poor manners is the automatic assumption of prosecutorial aggression towards any statement and a demand for proof. It's bull****, and it's nasty, and it makes me want to smack posters who may not even know that they're offensive in the mouth. You're starting to sound like Franki-boy, Jay.
Old November 5th 19, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/4/2019 4:31 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 1:52:52 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
One of my friends posted this today:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YixXj54zGDGfcfYT8

"In the morning twilight, a bus driver thanked me for having bright
lights on my bicycle. I felt like I was in civilization again."

Contrary to what some people believe, drivers really do appreciate
cyclists that take steps to make themselves conspicuous.

How does that even happen?

I can ask the guy that posted that, but I would guess that he rode past
a bus stopped at the bus stop and as he rode by the driver thanked him
because the lights helped prevent the bus driver from cutting him off as
the bus left the stop.
Old November 5th 19, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/4/2019 4:52 PM, sms wrote:
One of my friends posted this today:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YixXj54zGDGfcfYT8

"In the morning twilight, a bus driver thanked me for having bright
lights on my bicycle. I felt like I was in civilization again."

Contrary to what some people believe, drivers really do appreciate
cyclists that take steps to make themselves conspicuous.

In twilight, of course lights make sense. In dense fog, they also make
sense.

I've been complimented on my lights and reflectors many times. I've had
drivers stop next to me at traffic lights and say they could see me
"from way back there." I had a friend pass me, then stop to ask about
the "super bright taillight." (It was a reflector.) I've had pedestrians
call out "Nice lights!"

All these incidents and more were with quite ordinary dynamo powered
lights and ordinary reflectors. And none of those were in daylight,
because a cyclist who is not a gutter bunny doesn't need daytime lights,
even though commercial interests are now adding DRLs to the list of
purported "must haves."

They, like Mayor Scharf, are also adding to the public's fear of riding
on ordinary roads with ordinary equipment.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 5th 19, 07:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, 4 November 2019 22:46:54 UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/4/2019 4:52 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

this call for Daylight Running Lights from all bicyclists reminds me of the early marketing blitz promoting helmets for ALL bicyclists. Yes, some can make good use of them but many really don't need them.

Once DRLs are popularized and in use I'll expect the marketing gurus to move onto another piece of so-called "safety" equipment. When will we see roll bars mandated for bicycles? LOL VBEG ;)

Cheers
Old November 5th 19, 10:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 11/4/2019 4:52 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

I always imagine the situation 'what if everone is doing/using that?' and than I think 'no that is not the solution and/or what we want'. Just like 'what if every car is electric'.

Lou
Old November 5th 19, 10:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 11/4/2019 4:52 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

Right. I can just imagine the electric power demands when most cars are electric. That's not to mention the demand for the substances from which the batteries are made.

Cheers