I never thought I'd wear a necktie with a bike jersey.

Old July 8th 20, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default I never thought I'd wear a necktie with a bike jersey.

It's a puffy white cravat that I can pull up over my mouth and nose
when I get off.

It's a very simple mask that doesn't call for anything that's hard to
find. I may post a tutorial once we dump Comcast and regain access to
our Web site.

I'm off to my first not-getting-back-for-lunch ride since the skin
graft. Wearing band-aids to keep the sun off. Leaving rather late --
gotta remember how it's done.

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii

Old July 8th 20, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Joy Beeson wrote:

It's a puffy white cravat that I can pull up over my mouth and nose
when I get off.

It's a very simple mask that doesn't call for anything that's hard to
find. I may post a tutorial once we dump Comcast and regain access to
our Web site.

I'm off to my first not-getting-back-for-lunch ride since the skin
graft. Wearing band-aids to keep the sun off. Leaving rather late --
gotta remember how it's done.

My wife has found a good pattern for a face mask. It’s curved to fit your
face better and has a pocket for a nose wire to help it conform better to
the upper part of your face. I tease her that it’s just an adaptation of an
underwire bikini pattern, but it works reasonably well.

Old July 8th 20, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 9:56:04 AM UTC-5, Joy Beeson wrote:
It's a puffy white cravat that I can pull up over my mouth and nose
when I get off.

It's a very simple mask that doesn't call for anything that's hard to
find. I may post a tutorial once we dump Comcast and regain access to
our Web site.

I'm off to my first not-getting-back-for-lunch ride since the skin
graft. Wearing band-aids to keep the sun off. Leaving rather late --
gotta remember how it's done.

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii
joy beeson at comcast dot net http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
The above message is a Usenet post.

I'm guessing you are a woman with a name like Joy. Men who have worn a necktie for business or formal social occasions, define a "necktie" as a long strip of cloth that is wider at one end than the other. It is tied around the neck using a full windsor, half windsor, or 4 in 1 knot. What you were wearing is not considered a necktie by anyone on earth.
Old July 8th 20, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/8/2020 11:56 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote:

It's a puffy white cravat that I can pull up over my mouth and nose
when I get off.

It's a very simple mask that doesn't call for anything that's hard to
find. I may post a tutorial once we dump Comcast and regain access to
our Web site.

I'm off to my first not-getting-back-for-lunch ride since the skin
graft. Wearing band-aids to keep the sun off. Leaving rather late --
gotta remember how it's done.

My wife has found a good pattern for a face mask. It’s curved to fit your
face better and has a pocket for a nose wire to help it conform better to
the upper part of your face. I tease her that it’s just an adaptation of an
underwire bikini pattern, but it works reasonably well.

Here's a modification someone should work on: Elastic holders that don't
dislodge hearing aids.

The typical behind-the-ear loops don't work with most hearing aids. The
around-the-back elastic loops are better, but my wife once dislodged a
hearing aid when taking her mask off inside our car. It took me 45
minutes to find the thing. Apparently, it flew out and lodged invisibly
between the seat and center console.

Since then, I've modified each homemade masks' elastic to be two pieces
each that hook behind the head. Turns out that's much better, but not
ideal, feeling blindly to do the hooking. I think the next iteration
will have one end of the elastic snap onto the mask at the right.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 8th 20, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/8/2020 12:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure Joy is on earth.

And checking references, others seem to view the two as subspecies.
"... cravat is a wide fabric band worn as a necktie..."

I'm glad this came up. We haven't had a good flame war for several days!
;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 8th 20, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/8/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

I understood Joy clearly from the header and I've worn a tie
daily for 40+ years.(skinny one inch, full Windsor)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 8th 20, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Joy Beeson wrote:

[...]

Or Velcro. It’s less sensitive to alignment, and should therefore be
easier to connect behind your head.

Old July 8th 20, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 11:18:45 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/8/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

Time to go shopping at the Brooks Brothers closing business sale. https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/b...123854417.html Get a face mask. https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Face-...id=topnav-menu

Or, for only a few hundred mo https://www.fashionbaghouse.cloud/im...01-500x500.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 8th 20, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 12:49:59 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/8/2020 12:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

Permit me to add some fuel to the growing fire. Having grown up in
the garment district of Smog Angeles, such trivia is common knowledge.
Please forgive me for omitting the dates as I'm too lazy/busy to find
them.

The cravat and neck tie have different origins. The cravat was
originally a napkin used as a place mat while eating, a bib, or a
towel to clean up after eating.
https://www.darcyclothing.com/collections/mens-neckwear
At various times, dinner guest customarily also brought their own
knives, drinking cups, and plates because such things were considered
personal equipment and provided some security against assassination by
poisoning. Eventually, the threat of poisoning decreased sufficiently
that the host was expected to provide the eating utensils. They did
so, but dulled the knives to discourage carnage during improvised
duels over political discussions.

The neck tie was a smaller version of the cravat that originated when
full beards came into fashion. The problem was that shirt did not fit
depending on how recently the beard was trimmed. Shirts were designed
with detachable collars to accommodate this variation in size. The
collars were held in place with studs. Most were made from cheap
cardboard and were disposable. This also was cheaper because the
entire shirt didn't need to be washed every time the collar became
dirty.
https://www.darcyclothing.com/collections/mens-collars
The problem was that everything came together at the open end of the
collar, which looked very sloppy. So, the varying collar gap, the
brass stud, and the potentially wrong size collar were hidden from
view by a bow tie, string tie, cravat, or whatever was in fashion.
Whatever the style, it was literally a "neck tie".

Neck fitting became less of a problem after WWI when beards instantly
fell out of fashion because it was not possible to obtain an air tight
seal over a gas mask with a beard. It's likely that today's hipster
style beards might also go out of fashion quite soon because of face
masks.

"The Cummerbund: 5 Facts Every Gent Should Know"
https://www.mytuxedocatalog.com/blog/the-cummerbund-5-facts-every-gent-should-know/
Although wearing a tuxedo while cycling is unlikely to become
fashionable, the history of the cummerbund offers some insight into
the origins of today's formal attire.

Drivel: I have a photo somewhere of my father on a skiing vacation in
Germany in about 1947. Two meter or longer wooden skis, wool suit,
vest, and a silk tie was the standard skiing attire. It was a rare
day that I saw him in public without a tie. Even though he knew the
origins and the danger, he would wear a tie while working with
rotating machinery (sewing machines). Times have changed.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 8th 20, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/8/2020 11:26 AM, wrote:
[...]

I've never worn one and likely never will.