helmet

Old November 7th 12, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

Default helmet

On 10/27/2012 11:41 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Oct 26, 11:35�pm, SMS wrote:

As I pointed out, the fraudulent cyclehelmets.org site simply omitted
the fact that adult cycling rates increased by 44% following the MHL in
Victoria, and only talked about a decrease in youth cycling rates. Of
course neither of those changes could be attributed to the MHL. Adults
didn't start riding more because they thought that now that they were
forced to wear a helmet that they were magnitudes safer, and minors
didn't start cycling less because they were so upset over the law.

So where can we find your evidence that the above nonsense is true?
(44% _increase_ in cycling after telling people it's so dangerous that
it's now illegal to ride without a foam hat???) And why do you
suppose that astonishing fact has somehow slipped by so many cycling
advocacy organizations?

It could be that you're inventing the +44% entirely on your own. More
likely, you've found one bit of data that's actually inapplicable
(such as, a 20 year increase that's smaller than the population
increase and doesn't factor in the original sharp drop in cycling),
i.e. one bit of data that contradicts the dozens of data sources that
everyone else has deemed much more reliable.

But given your habit of citing nothing, just slinging anonymous
numbers, you should understand why people here discount your claims.

More concisely (for the TLDR crowd): Put up or shut up, Stephen.

- Frank Krygowski

5 out of 3 (sic) doctors paid for their opinion recommend wearing foam
bicycle hats.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!
Old November 7th 12, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 11-06-2012 20:26, Tom $herman (-_-) wrote:
On 10/26/2012 3:57 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
Scharf comes from a strange planet, where truth and fiction are
reversed.

I believe Scharf is delusional.

Is there an echo in here?

--
Wes Groleau

“Would the prodigal have gone home if
the elder brother was running the farm?”
— James Jordan

Old November 7th 12, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 10/26/2012 10:26 PM, Dan O wrote:
On Oct 25, 8:12 pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:37:46 PM UTC-4, SMS wrote:
On 10/25/2012 4:04 PM, AMuzi wrote:

If anyone here has an argument which we didn't thoroughly beat to death

in 1998, please start a new helmet thread and enlighten me.

Actually a lot has changed since 1998.

Snipped

Yes, a lot has changed. One thing is that it is nowextremely difficult to find a hard-shell bicycling helmet in the average bicycle shop.

I'm still using my '86 Vetta until I can afford a new POC.

snip

The MIPS system in mine [1] feels like it might actually work.

[1] http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/1391/trabec-race-mips

Old November 7th 12, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 7/11/2012 12:26 PM, Tom $herman (-_-) wrote:
On 10/26/2012 3:57 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
Sir Ridesalot considered Thu, 25 Oct 2012
20:04:43 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:

On Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:37:46 PM UTC-4, SMS wrote:
On 10/25/2012 4:04 PM, AMuzi wrote:

If anyone here has an argument which we didn't thoroughly beat to
death

in 1998, please start a new helmet thread and enlighten me.

Actually a lot has changed since 1998.

Snipped
14 years ago, some people still believed that cycling rates fell if

helmets were either promoted or mandated, now we have solid evidence

that this is not the case.
Snipped

Pray tell us; where in the world has bicycle usage remained the same
or risen AFTER MANDATORY HELMET LAWS were introduced? Not Australia
or New Zealand.

Studies showed that mandatory helmet laws DO cause cycling rates to
DROP. Frank has posted data and links to those studies many times.

;) Are you visiting from another galaxy? ;)

Scharf comes from a strange planet, where truth and fiction are
reversed.

I believe Scharf is delusional.

I think you'll find there are more people riding bike here in Australia
now than before the MHL was introduced.

--
JS
Old November 7th 12, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 10/25/2012 11:17 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Grrrr... only avaiable in 53 to 57cm. My inflated ego requires a 59cm
hat size.

Ha ha. I have a 60-cm head.

Old November 7th 12, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 10/26/2012 12:06 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
And in fact, there has been more knowledge gained since 1998. For
example, the much greater dangers of rotational, rather than
translational, accelerations of the brain and skull were not commonly
recognized back then. (Helmets do nothing against rotational
acceleration, and may even exacerbate it.)

Hmmm...

http://www.pocsports.com/en/content/view/new-technologies#MIPS

Old November 7th 12, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 10/27/2012 2:39 PM, Dan O wrote:
[...]
Hey, you want to help make things better? I hear Ohio is *the*
pivotal battleground for election of the next POTUS. I know we can
count on you to help make it happen. (Pull it off and you truly
*will* be our hero.)

"The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the
votes decide everything." - Ioseb Besarionis dze Dzhugashvili

Old November 7th 12, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 7/11/2012 3:04 PM, Tom $herman (-_-) wrote:
On 10/27/2012 2:39 PM, Dan O wrote:
[...]
Hey, you want to help make things better? I hear Ohio is *the*
pivotal battleground for election of the next POTUS. I know we can
count on you to help make it happen. (Pull it off and you truly
*will* be our hero.)

"The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the
votes decide everything." - Ioseb Besarionis dze Dzhugashvili

What did he say about those who rig the voting machines?

--
JS.
Old November 7th 12, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 10/27/2012 11:24 PM, Dan O wrote:
The helmet may actually be part of a total precautionary stance that
*does* reduce chances of a crash. Sounds contrary to conventional
wisdom, I know; but I've reflected deeply on this, and I honestly
think I have a pretty healthy grip on affairs. The lapses are
probably more likely when I'm carefree, but by the same token I ride
hardest when my blood is really pumping and I'm hauling ass (standard
commuting).

Your standard commute involves pulling a donkey with the bike?

Old November 7th 12, 07:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 10/27/2012 1:20 AM, Phil W Lee wrote:
SMS considered Fri, 26 Oct 2012 21:07:31
-0700 the perfect time to write:

On 10/26/2012 8:17 PM, Dan O wrote:

I'm not even trying to change anybody's opinion - just looking for a
tangible shred of respect buried underneath one of them.

It is not necessary to respect those that lie to advance their own agenda.

**** off then.

offensive lying libelous crap snipped

Or insane delusional rantings (of Scharf, that is).