A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Dropper posts for every bike?

Old December 1st 19, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Dropper posts for every bike?

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 4:17:23 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/30/2019 11:24 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 10:04:33 AM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Should pro road racers use dropper posts?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/worldto...111819293.html

If they do, it won't be long before anyone who uses an ordinary seatpost
will be scorned as a luddite.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I believe a dropper seatpost in professional road bicycle racing might be a safety benefit. Currently, racers descending a mountain will frequently put their groin and belly and chest onto the top of the toptube to become as aerodynamic as possible. This is a somewhat/definitely unsafe position to control a bicycle when descending. But with a dropper seatpost, the racer could get himself into the low aerodynamic position, AND remain seated on the saddle. Overall a much safer position to descend a mountain. So a dropper seatpost would be an easy safety enhancement for professional bicyclists. Who would be against increasing the safety aspect of professional bicycle racing?

IMO, racers can do whatever is within the rules to win a race. But as I
said, it won't be long before anyone who makes a different choice than a
racer will be scorned, at least by some.

Scorned? Really? Maybe by some idiots, but in general?

Over the years, it's happened with lycra clothes, helmets, clipless
pedals, 6 then 7 then 8 then 9 then 10 then 11 cogs, index shifting,
STI, aero wheels, carbon fiber, aero frames...

Not over here. I heard that the US is a ****ed up country but this I can't believe.

Lou

Ads
Old December 1st 19, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 7:17:23 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:

--
- Frank Krygowski

I believe a dropper seatpost in professional road bicycle racing might be a safety benefit. Currently, racers descending a mountain will frequently put their groin and belly and chest onto the top of the toptube to become as aerodynamic as possible. This is a somewhat/definitely unsafe position to control a bicycle when descending. But with a dropper seatpost, the racer could get himself into the low aerodynamic position, AND remain seated on the saddle. Overall a much safer position to descend a mountain. So a dropper seatpost would be an easy safety enhancement for professional bicyclists. Who would be against increasing the safety aspect of professional bicycle racing?

Just the other day, I was shamed by a total stranger for not having 12 speed. I had to go to my safe place.

Scorned by whom? Who cares if you do or don't wear lycra? Who would care if you do or don't have a dropper post? Do people really make you feel bad because you have DT shifting? Man, I'm avoiding Ohio.

I get ribbed by my friends for many things -- like having no instrumentation, but that's to be expected. It's bro behavior -- same goes with racing and not shaving legs. There is a lot of smack-talk in racing, but JRA, are people actually commenting on anything you chose to do or not do?

I ride with lots of strangers commuting to work, and nobody has ever commented on my clothing, except when I was riding in an ortho boot or hand splint -- or some other orthopedic device (my son got the most comments in two ortho boots after his ankle fractures). I commented on a woman's jacket once because it was the most reflective thing I've ever seen in my life -- probably visible from outer space. A few months ago, a guy did compliment the reflective tape on my fender.

Admittedly, I do think some people dress like dorks, but I don't share that.. And with my incipient Tourette Syndrome, I have started informing people that their headlights are blinding. I'm already sick of blinding headlights, and the season has just begun.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 1st 19, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster

On 12/1/2019 9:17 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

A greater issue for racers would be the additional weight, 400-500
grams, of a dropper seat post and the related controls.

Old December 1st 19, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 9:17:23 AM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:

--
- Frank Krygowski

If dropper seatposts become the norm in racing, for the reason I mentioned to become more aero while descending, then anyone who does not have a dropper post and gets into the now common belly on top of the toptube for descending, should be banned from bicycle racing. Because the belly on the toptube is unsafe compared to using a dropper post to get into the same aerodynamic position. Unsafe activities need to be banned from bicycle racing. If you want to be as low and aerodynamic as possible while descending a mountain on a road bicycle, then get a dropper seatpost. Otherwise, if you continue to use a normal rigid seatpost, stay seated on top of the saddle while descending. Basically ban putting your belly on top of the toptube while descending.

Outside of official racing, how people ride is controlled by normal traffic laws. People ride fixed gear TRACK bicycles on the streets, yet fixed gear bikes are only appropriate for velodrome TRACKS. Some people even still ride those 1800s high wheel bikes. I assume they are still legal to ride on the road.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Old December 1st 19, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 12/1/2019 2:34 PM, wrote:
On 11/30/2019 11:24 PM,
wrote:

--
- Frank Krygowski

If dropper seatposts become the norm in racing, for the reason I mentioned to become more aero while descending, then anyone who does not have a dropper post and gets into the now common belly on top of the toptube for descending, should be banned from bicycle racing. Because the belly on the toptube is unsafe compared to using a dropper post to get into the same aerodynamic position. Unsafe activities need to be banned from bicycle racing. If you want to be as low and aerodynamic as possible while descending a mountain on a road bicycle, then get a dropper seatpost. Otherwise, if you continue to use a normal rigid seatpost, stay seated on top of the saddle while descending. Basically ban putting your belly on top of the toptube while descending.

Outside of official racing, how people ride is controlled by normal traffic laws. People ride fixed gear TRACK bicycles on the streets, yet fixed gear bikes are only appropriate for velodrome TRACKS. Some people even still ride those 1800s high wheel bikes. I assume they are still legal to ride on the road.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Well considered except where you may have confused some
readers regarding 'fixed gear no brake' which I agree are
unsuitable for public roads and 'fixed gear w/front brake'.

I ride the latter myself often and stop in as short a
distance or less than any rim brake machine.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old December 1st 19, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster

On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 14:44:53 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

wrote:

--
- Frank Krygowski

--
- Frank Krygowski

But, but, but, I'm reading that one must have disk brakes or one
simply can't stop in time...

Disk brakes on a fixi?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 1st 19, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 08:57:32 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 4:17:23 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
wrote:

--
- Frank Krygowski

Scorned? Really? Maybe by some idiots, but in general?

Not over here. I heard that the US is a ****ed up country but this I can't believe.

Lou

Well, I live in Thailand and if you go to the bike shop you will find
that all the bikes in the "front row" have 11 speeds and even buying 9
speed parts is pretty much buying "old stock". I asked about a 9
speed STI set the other day and was told that "we don't stock that",
and that was in what is probably the largest bike shop in Bangkok. I
then asked about other 9 speed bits and pieces and yes, they had
several 9 speed chains and one or two 9 speed cassettes but I gathered
that they were considered almost as antique parts.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 1st 19, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:34:48 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

--
- Frank Krygowski

But is belly on the top tube actually unsafe? Do you have any
statistics to demonstrate that fact? Or have you simply made up your
mind that it is "unsafe" and therefore must be banned?
Or is this one of those "everybody knows" sort of facts?

--
- Frank Krygowski

--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 2nd 19, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 12/1/2019 4:33 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 14:44:53 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

wrote:

--
- Frank Krygowski

--
- Frank Krygowski

But, but, but, I'm reading that one must have disk brakes or one
simply can't stop in time...

Disk brakes on a fixi?
--
cheers,

John B.

Nothing wrong with disc brakes but the essential part is
that front wheels brake, rear wheels skid.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old December 2nd 19, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 12:17:04 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 7:17:23 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:

--
- Frank Krygowski

Scorned by whom? Who cares if you do or don't wear lycra? Who would care if you do or don't have a dropper post? Do people really make you feel bad because you have DT shifting? Man, I'm avoiding Ohio.

Almost all the scorn I've received has been on this newsgroup. Most recently
it's been about non-electronic shifting. Before that, disc brakes. Before that,
STI. Before that, toe clips instead of clipless, etc.

There have been a very few times I've gotten person to person scorn. Most common
has been helmet related (or rather, related to my not wearing a helmet). I
recall one young dude (years ago) mocking my 32 tooth rear cog. (That guy's
probably using a bigger one now.) I recall a different dude sort of mocking "all
the stuff" I have on my bike: lights, fenders, handlebar bag.

(Actually, I haven't had downtube shifters since about 1982. I mostly use bar-
end shifters.)

- Frank Krygowski