To grease or not to grease?

Old July 19th 04, 11:27 AM
Simonb

Default To grease or not to grease?

Crank bolts. Did I read somewhere that it's best /not/ to grease them?

Old July 19th 04, 11:39 AM
Dave Larrington

Simonb wrote:
Crank bolts. Did I read somewhere that it's best /not/ to grease them?

IIRC one should grease the bolts, but not the cranks themselves (assuming
they're square taper jobs).

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old July 19th 04, 01:21 PM
Simonb

Dave Larrington wrote:
Simonb wrote:
Crank bolts. Did I read somewhere that it's best /not/ to grease
them?

IIRC one should grease the bolts, but not the cranks themselves
(assuming they're square taper jobs).

They're not square, they're splined. So I should grease them.

Old July 19th 04, 01:26 PM
Tim Izod

--

Having had the pain of dealing with seized cranks and bolts I
took to adding a spot of grease to both before applying the torque

A groups.google.com search of rec.bicycles.tech will find as
many opinions as you could wish for both for and against grease.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html may be of interest
& Sheldon Brown proably has advice on the issue on his site.

--
Tim.
Old July 19th 04, 03:53 PM
Dave Larrington

Simonb wrote:

They're not square, they're splined. So I should grease them.

The last set of splined cranks I had actually in a box, as opposed to fitted
to a bike when I bought it, had some green greasy gloop on the splines, so
if it's good enough for Shimano...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old July 19th 04, 05:43 PM
Michael Green

"Simonb" wrote in message ...
Crank bolts. Did I read somewhere that it's best /not/ to grease them?

Loctite 243.
Old July 20th 04, 12:55 PM
wheelsgoround

Pete Biggs Wrote:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html

~PB

Fair enough. Jobst has his views on this matter. John Barnett says
don't grease the spindle flats and I'll carry on working to the Barnett
method (unless I see first hand evidence that it is wrong)

Anyway, SimonB has his answer.

Ian

--
wheelsgoround
Old July 20th 04, 01:14 PM
Pete Biggs

wheelsgoround wrote:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html

Fair enough. Jobst has his views on this matter. John Barnett says
don't grease the spindle flats and I'll carry on working to the
Barnett method (unless I see first hand evidence that it is wrong)

That's also fair enough and is what Shimano and Campagnolo advise!
However, I'll carry on greasing as that method has worked best and
perfectly for me so far.

~PB

Old July 23rd 04, 10:01 PM
burt

"Pete Biggs" wrote in message
wheelsgoround wrote:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html

Fair enough. Jobst has his views on this matter. John Barnett says
don't grease the spindle flats and I'll carry on working to the
Barnett method (unless I see first hand evidence that it is wrong)

That's also fair enough and is what Shimano and Campagnolo advise!
However, I'll carry on greasing as that method has worked best and
perfectly for me so far.

Likewise, I always grease. Having seen cranks "welded" onto spindles, and
never having had a problem with greasing them, I'm carrying on doing so. At
least I know I'll be able to get them off again.

~PB