Can you use a new 8/9 speed chainring with an old (6/7) speed chain?

Old July 23rd 04, 11:08 AM
Simon Brooke

Default Can you use a new 8/9 speed chainring with an old (6/7) speed chain?

Well, can you?

I mean obviously in principle you *can*, but are there any particular
problems or gotchas to watch out for?

;; Perl ... is the Brittney Spears of programming - easily accessible
;; but, in the final analysis, empty of any significant thought
;; Frank Adrian on Slashdot, 21st July 2003
Old July 23rd 04, 12:31 PM
Pete Biggs

Simon Brooke wrote:
Well, can you?

Yeah, go on :-)

I mean obviously in principle you *can*, but are there any particular
problems or gotchas to watch out for?

I don't think so. In fact some 7sp chains are the same overall width as
8sp, aren't they? /Internal/ widths of all are virtually the same anyway.

~PB

Old July 23rd 04, 08:02 PM
tony R

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
Well, can you?

I mean obviously in principle you *can*, but are there any particular
problems or gotchas to watch out for?

I've been doing exactly this on my good bike since about March. No problems
to report so far. It's only a temporary thing 'till it goes 9-speed and it
hasn't done an enormous mileage with this set-up (c.1200 miles). So, not
sure about problems in principle, or long term, but seems to work OK to me
Having just reread the subject line maybe I should clarify: my set-up has a
new 9/10 speed chainset and 7 speed chain. I'm not sure if 6 speed chains
are much different.

tony R.