I'M BACK ON MY BIKE!

Old August 15th 04, 05:01 PM
Glenn Civello

I wrote:
..... I bought the Bell Influx because it fit well and was easy to adjust.
I had reasoned that such was a good criteria for my selection. I had
completely overlooked the "buckle-factor, assuming that all buckles on bike
helmets were pretty much alike (that's what failed in the CR test i.e.
buckles broke when force was applied)

Frank wrote:
As I (and others) have said before, CR is OK for some things, but not
very competent at others. You simply can't trust everything they say.
I have a research article reporting on tests of forces on bike helmet
straps in simulated crashes. They claim the typical force is about 10
pounds.

Hang a ten pound weight from your helmet straps. If the buckle breaks,
take it back. If it doesn't (and it won't), don't worry about it.

===
With the helmet off of my head I closed the buckle and then pulled the
straps as hard as I could. I repeated this several times. My buckle held
up fine. The CR review said that 3 of 12 samples failed... the force
applied was slightly less that the federal standard (according to CR)

Old August 15th 04, 06:16 PM
Frank Krygowski

Glenn Civello wrote:

Frank wrote:

As I (and others) have said before, CR is OK for some things, but not
very competent at others. You simply can't trust everything they say.
I have a research article reporting on tests of forces on bike helmet
straps in simulated crashes. They claim the typical force is about 10
pounds.

Hang a ten pound weight from your helmet straps. If the buckle breaks,
take it back. If it doesn't (and it won't), don't worry about it.

===
With the helmet off of my head I closed the buckle and then pulled the
straps as hard as I could. I repeated this several times. My buckle held
up fine. The CR review said that 3 of 12 samples failed... the force
applied was slightly less that the federal standard (according to CR)

What I really meant was that I think the federal standard for buckle
strength is overly stringent. The paper I read indicated 10 pounds
would be sufficient strength. I've certainly never heard of a cyclist
claiming they were head injured because their helmet's buckle broke.

Of course, cycling head injuries are actually extremely rare anyway,
despite all the horror hype. IOW, you could probably replace the buckle
with a piece of thread and be just as safe! But that's another issue.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old August 16th 04, 01:03 AM
Jeff Starr

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 23:32:50 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

As I (and others) have said before, CR is OK for some things, but not
very competent at others. You simply can't trust everything they say.

Hi, I have heard this said before, about CR. I have never found them
to make the ideal recommendation on any item or device that I had
knowledge of. So, I am afraid to trust them on things I'm not up on.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old August 18th 04, 08:00 PM
Har-VEE

I quit listening to Consumer Reports awhile back when they did a
review of bicycles.

You just need to shut the hell up and buy what you are told to buy.
If these people weren't EXTREMELY intelligent and unsusceptable to bribery
they would not be able to test toaster ovens on one day, and be the subject
matter experts on steering tube material the next.

You are being monitored now.