Mountain Drive or Schlumpf Planetary Drives

Old May 27th 08, 10:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Kim Hawtin[_3_]

Default Mountain Drive or Schlumpf Planetary Drives

Hi guys,

Been putting some miles on my mtb ss and i need to replace the whole BB
internals. Also thinking about moving to a rohloff or nexus geared hub.

Found this on the BOB list and thought it might work nicely;
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/mountain_drive.shtml

Has anyone seen these for sale in Australia?

I recon that I would spend most my time in 1:1 and a bit of hill
climbing in 2.5:1. Currently running 30:18 which is too low for most the
riding I'm doing now... maybe 42:18 with this Schlumpf could work...?

Thoughts?

cheers,

Kim
Old May 27th 08, 11:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_2_]

"Kim Hawtin" wrote in message node...
Hi guys,

Been putting some miles on my mtb ss and i need to replace the whole BB
internals. Also thinking about moving to a rohloff or nexus geared hub.

Found this on the BOB list and thought it might work nicely;
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/mountain_drive.shtml

Has anyone seen these for sale in Australia?

I recon that I would spend most my time in 1:1 and a bit of hill
climbing in 2.5:1. Currently running 30:18 which is too low for most the
riding I'm doing now... maybe 42:18 with this Schlumpf could work...?

Thoughts?

cheers,

Kim

My brother was thinking like this for a long while. Owned a Giant Yukon. Usual kind of 3 sp front, 9 sp rear.

Ended up getting a recumbent trike. Normal derailleur gears.

T.
Old May 27th 08, 12:52 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

Kim Hawtin wrote:

Hi guys,

Been putting some miles on my mtb ss and i need to replace the whole BB
internals. Also thinking about moving to a rohloff or nexus geared hub.

Found this on the BOB list and thought it might work nicely;
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/mountain_drive.shtml

Has anyone seen these for sale in Australia?

I recon that I would spend most my time in 1:1 and a bit of hill
climbing in 2.5:1. Currently running 30:18 which is too low for most the
riding I'm doing now... maybe 42:18 with this Schlumpf could work...?

Thoughts?

cheers,

Kim

I'm a roadie and wasn't aware such gadgets existed which included
gearing in the crankset.

At age 40, the lowest chain cog ratio I needed was 42 x 23.
Now I am nearly 61, and I find the same hills I still ride have become
steeper
in the last 20 years and I now need 39 x 28.

This makes it just comfortable ( not too much swearing ) for climbing
long hills
at 10% slope. I can stand on pedals, then sit awhile, then stand and so
on, and
average about 9kph. I figured I'd go a bit faster if I had a higher
cadence
with an even lower gear and probably do my knees a favour.

On a mountain bike in the rough there would be times where the slope
could be 20%, no?
So a much lower gear might be needed, to avoid brute strength or
anaerobic
power to get you up the pinch.

I switched from old style 7 speed clusters with levers to 8 speed with
indexed,
and cassette rear hubs etc and I couldn't find a road cassette with 28
or 32,
but I did find a mountain bike cassette 8 speed that would work with a
Shimano SORA shift set with a deraileur with longer jockey wheel arm.

I changed the 12t&11t to a 14t&13t from road cassette to get a better
range of gears with the
largest rear at 28t.

As years pass, I will chuck out the the 1988 Shimano 600 52/39 crankset
and get a compact
50/30 or whatever, maybe even a triple to get lower gears as I need
them.

By then the slope of the hills will be so steep that cars won't even get
up.

Patrick Turner.
Old May 28th 08, 05:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:48:49 +0930, Kim Hawtin wrote:

Has anyone seen these for sale in Australia?

No, but you could try asking Cheeky Monkey at Newtown(?), NSW.
Rep seems to include low geaing situations/usage.

Old May 28th 08, 06:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
jur[_7_]

Greenspeed in Melb sells them.

--
jur

Old May 30th 08, 01:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Rory Williams[_39_]

Kim Hawtin Wrote:
Hi guys,

Found this on the BOB list and thought it might work nicely;
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/mountain_drive.shtml

Has anyone seen these for sale in Australia?

Kim

St Kilda Cycles in Melbourne also has a lot of internal hub gear stuff
- sold me a shifter for a 7 gear nexus hub I picked up on ebay.

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

has anyone tried the schlumpf mountain/speed/high-speed crank drive? Jon Bendtsen Recumbent Biking 8 December 20th 07 09:30 PM
Write up and thoughts on Schlumpf drive siafirede Unicycling 9 March 6th 07 12:35 AM
Schlumpf high-speed drives dlhii Recumbent Biking 7 October 2nd 06 11:59 PM
Schlumpf Speed Drive Tosspot UK 5 May 11th 05 07:07 AM
Recumbent trikes for trails also Schlumpf drives? peter Recumbent Biking 7 November 18th 03 12:34 AM