Traffic Cameras: The Sheep are Fighting Back!

Old April 22nd 09, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ken Freeman

Default Traffic Cameras: The Sheep are Fighting Back!

On Apr 17, 7:11*pm, "PatTX" wrote:
Rick wrote:

:: traffic cameras are only the visible tip of the iceberg.
:: Most cars come with black boxes that record your driving behavior and
:: are used in accident investigation.

Nope. That's just something imaginary under discussion. If you think
otherwise, Prove it!

: Cars can be tracked using on-star or lojack.

Only if the owner pays for the service!

:: Cars, and you, can be tracked using your cell phone.

This isn't CSI, Rick. When you dial 911 with a cell phone they can't even
tell where you are! You have to tell them!

:: London uses cameras to record license plates so then can send out
:: bills for driving in certain parts of town. (Congestion fees).
:: Illinois tollways use cameras to fine those without i-pass units (or
:: malfunctioning units).

All lawful.

:: Homeland Security has been monitoring phone calls & emails since 911.

Some, not all phone calls. Thank George Bush for that illegal activity.

:: Your boss/company has records of every web site you visit at work.

Only if they pay for the software and install it. Not everyone does that.

::
:: Red light cams to fight terrorism? *No way, money is the reason. *The
:: cops will say it's to reduce accidents but it affects their budgets.

bottom line: it changes the way people drive, ergo, reducing accidents.

:: How many politicians have said they need new, creative ways of
:: generating revenue. *The biggest problem with red light cams is they
:: are mostly put in by private companies that get a cut and there is no
:: appeal process.

All you have to do is NOT SPEED through an intersection on a red light.
Simple.

Pat in TX

Pat, I agree with 99% of your reality talk, including the black
boxes. What's not right is the cell phones location. It is possible
to estimate location of a phone that is in contact based on which
towers it is talking to and relative signal strength. It's nowhere as
precise as GPS, but it is there.

Bottom line is exactly right: just follow the traffic light.
Old April 23rd 09, 10:39 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
Ken Freeman tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

How do you know there aren't procedures in place that prevent all-but-
necessary access to your information?

Data security is a strong consideration for some other systems under
development.

You're not from round here, are you? We BRITONS suffer from an Officaldom
congenitally disposed to losing confidential data in all manner of unlikely
ways. Leave your laptop on public view in a motorcar for the pikeys to rob,
leave your laptop on a train, send it via a courier on an unencrypted DVD,
carry a hard copy plainly visible to photographers, the list is endless.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old April 24th 09, 08:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Ken Freeman

On Apr 23, 5:39*am, "Dave Larrington"
wrote:
,
[...]

No, I'm not from around there, there's a gigantic salty lake between
us, then about 1000 miles (sorry, 1600 km) of beach! I'm in Michigan,
USA.

I'm not saying "all security methods will be effective." I am saying
that there is a new information system based on "digital short range
communication (DSRC)," aka Wireless Access in the Vehicle Environment
or WAVE. Technologically its based on a variation of WiFi. I'm on
one of the committees to define the standards for this, and we liaison
with the committee that is handling the security procedures. Clearly
security is one of the biggest worries.

The EU is involved in this as well, as are Japan, Korea, China,
Taiwan, and I think India. I'm sure British Standards Institute has
provided some UK representation. So even though it appears the UK may
need a disproportionate attitude adjustment compared perhaps to some
other nations, IF IT COMES TO REALITY the UK will be there.
Presumably the UK delegates are aware of the same issues you've
indicated.

Ken Freeman