Riding snow

Old February 1st 18, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Riding snow

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 12:52:32 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
http://cyclingsavvy.org/2018/01/navi...snowy-streets/

--
- Frank Krygowski

Riding in snow is fun IF you have studded bike tires. I use 35mm. Up until the snow is about 6 inches deep its fun. Once the snow gets to 1-2 feet deep, then its not fun. You sink into the snow and you cannot pedal. Even the fat bikes everyone seems to love sink into the snow and will not go.
Old February 1st 18, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Op donderdag 1 februari 2018 20:28:07 UTC+1 schreef :
On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 12:52:32 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
http://cyclingsavvy.org/2018/01/navi...snowy-streets/

--
- Frank Krygowski

Riding in snow is fun IF you have studded bike tires. I use 35mm. Up until the snow is about 6 inches deep its fun. Once the snow gets to 1-2 feet deep, then its not fun. You sink into the snow and you cannot pedal. Even the fat bikes everyone seems to love sink into the snow and will not go.

We don't get snow very often here but when is does I sure go out for a ride:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oA...o/IMGP1161.JPG

Lou
Old February 2nd 18, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Lee[_2_]

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 10:28:07 AM UTC-9, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 12:52:32 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
http://cyclingsavvy.org/2018/01/navi...snowy-streets/

--
- Frank Krygowski

Riding in snow is fun IF you have studded bike tires. I use 35mm. Up until the snow is about 6 inches deep its fun. Once the snow gets to 1-2 feet deep, then its not fun. You sink into the snow and you cannot pedal. Even the fat bikes everyone seems to love sink into the snow and will not go.

The link I posted of the fat bike is using the newly widest available 5.6" wide tires, and you can see when he gets off that it's at least 2.5 feet deep. Writing as a cross country skier that doesn't own a fat bike, that is truly impressive. He is going a lot faster than cross country skis would be able to in snow that deep. I remember taking about 3 hours to go 2 miles in snow about that deep on cross country skis when we had a dump like that 15 years ago.

Here's a comparison between 3.8" and 4.8" tires, and you can see a large difference there. 5.6" is obviously another huge step up:

https://youtu.be/0RxMGAjVX1g

..

Riding in the snow? T.M.C. Unicycling 5 December 14th 08 07:30 PM
DX Snow Riding unitoon Unicycling 13 January 14th 07 08:36 PM
RR: A Little Snow Riding... Paladin Mountain Biking 22 January 11th 07 02:31 PM
Riding in Snow Badger South General 23 December 15th 03 07:23 PM
Riding in snow asqlerth Unicycling 15 October 19th 03 12:47 AM