Cheap Chinese shorts work out OK early on

Old August 5th 16, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

Default Cheap Chinese shorts work out OK early on

Picked up a pair of these for about $12:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bran...438298503.html

Comfortable on today's 9 mile commute. True test is longer rides
coming up and what kind of shape its in 5 years from now. Spandex is
..004" think compared to .005 on my Pearl Izumi's (using Elcometer
thickness meter). Probably won't last as long but for the price who
cares?

Also got Santic shorts with pocket same place. Big enough for credit
card + cash. Fabric is same thickness. Comfy fit, good padding.
Again, have to see on longer rides and how long term durability is.
Sizing is funny - Chinese 3Xl is same as our XL.

Anybody out there have long-term experience with cheap shorts like
these?

---

Old August 5th 16, 10:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 22:33:57 -0400, somebody
wrote:

Picked up a pair of these for about $12:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bran...438298503.html

Comfortable on today's 9 mile commute. True test is longer rides
coming up and what kind of shape its in 5 years from now. Spandex is
.004" think compared to .005 on my Pearl Izumi's (using Elcometer
thickness meter). Probably won't last as long but for the price who
cares?

Also got Santic shorts with pocket same place. Big enough for credit
card + cash. Fabric is same thickness. Comfy fit, good padding.
Again, have to see on longer rides and how long term durability is.
Sizing is funny - Chinese 3Xl is same as our XL.

The Chinese seem to feel the same way :-)

Anybody out there have long-term experience with cheap shorts like
these?

I usually buy Thai made bike clothes three sets at a time and wear
them in rotation. They last two - three years, or so. The Thai made,
which are made by a company that, I think, manufactures for different
foreign companies, at least I've got a pair of Trek shorts, from the
Trek Shop, that appears identical to a pair I bought directly from the
company (except the T R E K of course).

The Chinese made I see here are thinner than the Thai made and I
haven't bought any as yet although I am thinking about it. They are
substantially, at least half, or less, of Thai made direct from the
factory and probably a third of the cost at the Trek shop, so even if
they wear out twice as fast I would still be money ahead.

---

cheers,

John B.

Old August 5th 16, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

wrote:

Picked up a pair of these for about $12:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bran...438298503.html

Comfortable on today's 9 mile commute. True test is longer rides
coming up and what kind of shape its in 5 years from now. Spandex is
.004" think compared to .005 on my Pearl Izumi's (using Elcometer
thickness meter). Probably won't last as long but for the price who
cares?

Also got Santic shorts with pocket same place. Big enough for credit
card + cash. Fabric is same thickness. Comfy fit, good padding.
Again, have to see on longer rides and how long term durability is.
Sizing is funny - Chinese 3Xl is same as our XL.

The Chinese seem to feel the same way :-)

Have to watch out for that. One of the 3XL's turned out a bit too
big. Yes I can return it but return postage is close to what I paid
to begin with. Some of the retailers warn that sizing is
larger/smaller or give a translation from Chinese to US sizes.

Anybody out there have long-term experience with cheap shorts like
these?

I usually buy Thai made bike clothes three sets at a time and wear
them in rotation. They last two - three years, or so. The Thai made,
which are made by a company that, I think, manufactures for different
foreign companies, at least I've got a pair of Trek shorts, from the
Trek Shop, that appears identical to a pair I bought directly from the
company (except the T R E K of course).

The Chinese made I see here are thinner than the Thai made and I
haven't bought any as yet although I am thinking about it. They are
substantially, at least half, or less, of Thai made direct from the
factory and probably a third of the cost at the Trek shop, so even if
they wear out twice as fast I would still be money ahead.

Do any of the Thai companies do direct mail order sales? Perhaps they
need their own version of Aliexpress - You order from multiple
retailers and make one payment at the end. Very convenient.

---

Old August 5th 16, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Problem with the extra thin shorts is they become see through quicker. Flashing everyone while you ride isn't good. I get Pearl Izumi high end shorts for about $30 each through Sierra Trading. Last for years and years and years before becoming see through. Don't see the point going for super cheap shorts when high quality is that reasonable price.
Old August 6th 16, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes :-) It might be well to realize that U.S. sizing is not the only
sizing system in the world and that as a general statement Orientals
are smaller people then Usians :-)

[...]

I don't know about direct mail order. The company I mentioned has a
web site at www.sdlwonga.com and while most of it is in Thai the
"contacts" page is in English which usually indicates that someone
there has English.

I might add that they appear to be basically a clothing manufacturer
and might, or might not, be interested in a small order but an e-mail
would be free.

Additionally, U.S. credit cards seem to be honored here so that would
be no problem, but I think it likely that it would be a direct pay for
goods deal.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 6th 16, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 09:41:10 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Problem with the extra thin shorts is they become see through quicker. Flashing everyone while you ride isn't good. I get Pearl Izumi high end shorts for about $30 each through Sierra Trading. Last for years and years and years before becoming see through. Don't see the point going for super cheap shorts when high quality is that reasonable price.

Good point. I have shorts beat up enough to be cold weather-only,
worn under tights. Most are Performance/Nashbar or other off brands.
And the stitching is coming off. They just don't last as well as PI.

And thanks for the tip. I will keep an eye on Sierra Trading.

---

Old August 6th 16, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Price is very near overall cost.

Something is wong.

Is there a chemical odor from the fabric ?

A super balclava from Amazon is loaded to burning scalp

fabrics are washed in a tub like a rotisserie with bleaches n chemicals removing chemicals necessary for production.

Chinese use glues/adhesives with chemical carriers dissapatong in a year or ...