New B&M 100lux headlight.

Old December 6th 17, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On 03/12/17 15:02, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 2:34:34 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
https://www.bike24.com/p2144878.html

-- JS

B&M plays the lux only racket. But their lights are poor lumens/lux
ratio. Lux only says the intensity at the brightest point anywhere
in the beam. No mention if this is STVZO or not. Best guess is that
it isn't. My STVZO working concept is more efficient than any STVZO
beam currently on the market. It would need 18 watts for 100lux
STVZO, and even that would probably not be able to stay under 2 lux
on the horizon. ~65 lux at ~9 watts making 650+ lumens is about the
ceiling for a single LED STVZO compliant light.

Nah, they just have a more intricate beam shape than ol' flood light Barry.

--
JS
Old December 6th 17, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 05 Dec 2017 17:24:28 -0600, Tim McNamara
wrote:

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 20:19:24 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:
On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 10:47:49 PM UTC-5, Tim McNamara wrote:

snip

Not bright enough and you don't see well enough; too bright and you
don't see well either because near objects are too bright and
interfere with dark adaptation. Too narrow causes the same sort of
problem. The top of the beam should be brighter than the bottom.
Some scatter to the sides is helpful, scatter above the horizon is
not (I notice even my new Subaru has a sharp upper cutoff to the
headlight beams). It's easy to get into thinking that brighter is
always better, in which case one will ultimately ride only during the
day in full sun.

And even then there are those who believethat you MUST use
super-bright flashing lights in the daytime.

I'm not that overcautious, but I get the notion given the complete
obliviousness of about 1/4 of the car driving population. They're
looking at their phones, eating lunch, drunk, stoned, whatever.
Anything but responsible behind the wheel. What puzzles me are the
folks who only use a flashing light as a headlight in full darkness.
WTF is up with that?

What I like to see on a website is an image of the ACTUAL BEAM PATTERN
on the road not a wall.

Hence my reference of Peter White's page of beam photos. There are some
other collections of beam photos out there on the interwebs. The
challenge is setting the camera so that it sees approximately what the
human eye does, not making the beam falsely bright or falsely weak.

I've always thought that all the discussion about Lummins, luxes, and
whatever else, ignores what I suggest may be the most important fact,
the ambient light. In a situation where there is no light, where one
literally cannot see one's hand in front of their face, lighting a
match provides a truly amazing amount of visibility. I've also noticed
the reverse phenomena driving on roads with large overhead lighting.
Gee, can hardly see any light from the headlights.

I've always wondered about where people take the photos that they
publish showing beam coverage :-) Deep in the jungle, on a moonless
night, a candle and the mirror in your wife's Compact will show an
amazing beam pattern :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 6th 17, 09:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 12:49:38 AM UTC+1, sms wrote:
On 12/5/2017 11:58 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 03/12/17 22:35, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 10:39:17 AM UTC, Tosspot wrote:
On 03/12/17 05:02, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 2:34:34 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
https://www.bike24.com/p2144878.html

-- JS

B&M plays the lux only racket.Â* But their lights are poor
lumens/lux ratio.Â* Lux only says the intensity at the brightest
point anywhere in the beam.Â* No mention if this is STVZO or not..
Best guess is that it isn't.

https://www.bumm.de claim it is StVZO compliant.

You guessed wrong, Barry. I would be exceedingly surprised to
discover that any BUMM lamp is not StVZO compliant. That is BUMM's
USP or unique selling point and has always been. It is precisely this
StVZO compliance that makes their lamps inferior to yours in output
and superior to yours in beam shaping.

Who the **** is Barry?

Barry manufactures the Oculus light, a very nice battery powered,
self-contained, 1800 lumen battery powered light, and now there is a
3000 lumen model. Very well designed beam that doesn't suffer from the
limitations of most dynamo lights.

but still is a battery powered light with the drawback of their limited running time which is the main reason for the people using dynamo lights not to chose for that option.

Lou
Old December 6th 17, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 04/12/17 17:33, sms wrote:
On 12/3/2017 5:21 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 16:56:24 -0800, sms
wrote:
On 12/3/2017 4:28 PM, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 2:34:34 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
https://www.bike24.com/p2144878.html

-- JS

Is there a power rating?Â* 100 lux at 10 meters, as the STVZO test
requires, is exceedingly bright.Â* I'm hesitant to state they "must"
be drawing at least so much power, but my gut feeling is that its in
a range that a single LED can't handle. Anyone can rate a light
without stating the distance.Â* My single LED 325 lumen measures 33
lux at 10, 500+ lumen measures 50 lux, and the best of the others on
the market, such as Supernova's 205 lm that's standard equipment on
many e-bikes, measure 25 lux at 10 meters, at most.

It's not all that new, and it's not very well rated. The complaints I
saw are a) the beam shape is too narrow, and b) the standlight is
inadequate. Neither is surprising. Dynamo lights make trade-offs, and
one major one is concentrating the limited available output into a
narrow beam, which is a big compromise in terms of safety, both in
seeing and being seen. The second is that the standlight is
necessarily fairly weak because the internal battery or super-cap
can't provide enough power.

The only suitable dynamo light for use in the U.S., in a dynamo-only
configuration, remains the Supernova E3 Triple 2. It has a proper
beam, and is not StVZO compliant for on-road use in countries where
StVZO compliance is mandatory.

Have you even looked at beam pictures?

Yes. The criticism was valid.

Here is what the review stated:

"The beam is too narrow

In focussing all the output from the LED directly ahead to hit that
magical 100 lux figure, B&M have made something akin to a laser… If it’s
outside a narrow degree arc from the front, it’s going to be near
invisible.

Two examples. Take a standard lane-in-each-direction road, in complete
darkness. If you’re cycling in the centre of the left-hand lane with the
IQ-X, you may not see a road joining on your right as almost no light
will reach the opposite verge. Or, take a winding single-lane road. As
you lean the bike to take a right-hand bend, the right side of the beam
dips too, and you cycle into complete darkness.

I’ve often praised the way German light manufacturers make the best use
of every photon by focussing the output into useful areas. With the
IQ-X, B&M have gone too far."

from https://www.darkerside.org/2017/02/bm-iq-x-dynamo-headlight-review/

That's on a recumbent. It is far lower than the light is designed for.
Even on my Bullit I had to bodge higher mounts as the crown mount made
the EYC useless. Mounted higher it's fine.

Old December 6th 17, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/6/2017 9:46 AM, sms wrote:
I'm sure we'd all run out and buy a
dynamo light if it was possible to build one that was adequate for the
riding conditions we experience. Unfortunately it isn't yet possible to
build such a dynamo light.

So how do you explain the several people here who have ridden
successfully with only dynamo lights for decades?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 6th 17, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 11:58:53 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/6/2017 9:46 AM, sms wrote:
I'm sure we'd all run out and buy a
dynamo light if it was possible to build one that was adequate for the
riding conditions we experience. Unfortunately it isn't yet possible to
build such a dynamo light.

So how do you explain the several people here who have ridden
successfully with only dynamo lights for decades?

Excellent night vision? Brightly lit streets? Full moon? I need all the light that I can get when riding the gnarly single-track on my way home, being chased by cougars. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jgFVixm_e1c/hqdefault.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 6th 17, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/6/2017 9:46 AM, sms wrote:
I'm sure we'd all run out and buy a
dynamo light if it was possible to build one that was adequate for the
riding conditions we experience. Unfortunately it isn't yet possible to
build such a dynamo light.

So how do you explain the several people here who have ridden
successfully with only dynamo lights for decades?

Excellent night vision? Brightly lit streets? Full moon? I need all the light that I can get when riding the gnarly single-track on my way home, being chased by cougars. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jgFVixm_e1c/hqdefault.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.

For seeing add: familiar roads, slower speeds
For being seen add: A large amount of luck, better drivers

Also remember that many of the people posting the virtues of dynamo
lights live outside the U.S., many in places with far better bicycle
infrastructure and more enforcement of traffic lights. Some live in
countries where high-quality bicycle lighting, with proper optics, is
illegal.

Old December 6th 17, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 3:20:50 PM UTC-6, sms wrote:
On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 11:58:53 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
So how do you explain the several people here who have ridden
successfully with only dynamo lights for decades?

Also remember that many of the people posting the virtues of dynamo
lights live outside the U.S., many in places with far better bicycle
infrastructure and more enforcement of traffic lights. Some live in
countries where high-quality bicycle lighting, with proper optics, is
illegal.

I live in the USA. Not too far from the middle of the contiguous portion. I rode OK with a dynamo and two halogen bulbs for several years. Rode PBP in 2007 with that setup. PBP is in France. It was very RAINY during the night on that PBP. Somehow I made it OK. Then I got modern and put two LED lights on the bike. WooHoo. It was an improvement over halogen bulbs. Wasn't night and day improvement though.
Old December 7th 17, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
On 12/6/2017 9:46 AM, sms wrote:
I'm sure we'd all run out and buy a
dynamo light if it was possible to build one that was adequate for the
riding conditions we experience. Unfortunately it isn't yet possible to
build such a dynamo light.

So how do you explain the several people here who have ridden
successfully with only dynamo lights for decades?

Excellent night vision?Â* Brightly lit streets? Full moon?Â* I need all
the light that I can get when riding the gnarly single-track on my way
home, being chased by cougars.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jgFVixm_e1c/hqdefault.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.

For seeing add: familiar roads, slower speeds
For being seen add: A large amount of luck, better drivers

Ah yes. If you haven't died, it's because you were so brilliant in your
personal choice of equipment. If someone else hasn't died, it's only
because they are lucky. Gosh, hardly any bias there!

My headlights have more than sufficed on familiar roads, on unfamiliar
roads, on roads in other states and roads in other countries.

And as I've mentioned many times, I've gotten spontaneous compliments on
my lights from motorists and from pedestrians. Many of those compliments
were back in the halogen bulb days, powered (as they are now) by dynamos.

Also remember that many of the people posting the virtues of dynamo
lights live outside the U.S., many in places with far better bicycle
infrastructure and more enforcement of traffic lights. Some live in
countries where high-quality bicycle lighting, with proper optics, is
illegal.

Far better infrastructure like the ordinary rural roads of Brittany,
where they run Paris-Brest-Paris, and where randonneurs who have never
before been there ride all night, many using dynamo lights?

You're daft.

I've ridden in about a dozen foreign countries. Almost all of that has
been on ordinary streets and roads. It's pretty ignorant to believe or
pretend that all of Europe has kiddie tracks along every road.

--
- Frank Krygowski

The last headlight you will ever need somebody[_2_] Techniques 115 April 28th 14 02:12 AM
Headlight Tom $herman (-_-) Techniques 16 August 17th 12 03:43 AM
FS: L&M ARC HID headlight Zach Marketplace 0 February 13th 08 08:25 PM
LED Headlight HughMann Australia 12 August 30th 06 11:51 AM
Headlight Bruni Techniques 8 August 31st 03 06:27 PM