Shifter not Shifting right. Anyone have this prolem before? - shimano.jpg (0/1)

Old July 20th 03, 11:55 PM
B. Sanders

Default Shifter not Shifting right. Anyone have this prolem before? - shimano.jpg (0/1)

"Mike" wrote in message
Howdy,

I have an older (5 years maybe, not really sure) mountain bike. The

shifting mechanisms it has a
Shimano Altus ST-CT90s (See attached Picture). I've never had a problem

with them until this year
when I got my bike out. On this shifter, the thumb trigger is for

shifting down and the finger
trigger is for shifting up. THe thumb trigger works just fine. However

when I try to Upshift with
the finger trigger the ratcheting things inside there aren't catching on

what they are supposed to.
The only way I can get it to shif tis to apply a very strong pressure Down

(towards the ground) as I
pull the trigger forward. THen I can usually get it to catch inside and

shift gears.

I'm assuming I'll have to take my bike to some local bike shop but thought

I'd psot on here first
inc ase this is something anyone else has already seen.

There may be dirt and crud built-up inside the shifter that's keeping it
from working; but have you checked your derailleur? Is it clean and free of
grass and debris? Are the cables lubed and moving freely from end to end?
I'm willing to bet that your shifter is fine; but your derailleur and cables
need maintenance. A new shifter cable is probably a very good idea. It
will probably cure the problem. Just cleaning the jockey wheels on the
derailleur may work miracles for your shifting.

Barry

Old July 21st 03, 05:25 AM
Mike

I can feel that when I'm pulling the trigger it's physically not connecting with the mechanism
inside. The problem is definitely in the part that's screwed on to the handle bars. I did take it
apart and didn't see anything obviously dirty or bent or anything.

Guess I'll have to have someone that knows what they are doing take a look at it.

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:55:12 -0500, "B. Sanders" wrote:

.. .