Chain Reaction closes Los Altos store.

Old December 3rd 17, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Chain Reaction closes Los Altos store.

I was just in Los Altos today and noticed that Chain Reaction is gone.
This is the store owned by Steve and Mike Jacubowsky--Mike used to post
in this group. Their Redwood City store is still open.

I was surprised to see it gone. That store was located in an area where
people have high disposable incomes, and was the only Trek dealer in the
area. They said that parking and rent were issues. The space is still
empty and they closed about 2.5 months ago, so no one is a rush to rent
it. That shopping center can get very crowded because there is a popular
Trader Joe's and a popular produce store, and an unpopular Rite Aid
store. Also there's both a Starbucks and a Peet's coffee.

I never bought a bicycle from them, my only Trek is a tandem and when I
bought it Chain Reaction didn't have the size I needed in stock, even
though they were cheaper than the place I ended up buying it from. For
all the other bicycles we've bought in the past 25 years or so Trek did
not have any models that met our needs, and Chain Reaction is a
Trek-only store. But I know a lot of people who bought expensive
carbon-fiber bicycles from them, one multiple times after the
carbon-fiber frame broke. They were a very well thought-of shop for Trek
buyers.
Old December 3rd 17, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 1:06:52 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
[...]

Trek has a bike for everything. https://www.trekbikes.com/ They even have bike-packing bikes. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey

Not that you have to buy Trek (particularly if you're an anti-American communist), but I'm surprised you couldn't find something that suited your needs. Bike Gallery has a mind-boggling variety of bikes. https://www.bikegallery.com/ That's where I got my Emonda via Trek directly because I know the guys in legal. Shameless plug: Bike Gallery.

The Yelp post indicates Mike got squeezed on rent and parking. I'm sure he also go hit by the downturn in the bike market -- which, I am told, hit all the retailers regardless of brand.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 4th 17, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/3/2017 2:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I like Bike Gallery. Purchased my first Burley trailer there while on a
business trip up to Intel in Hillsboro.

Trek's touring bicycle selection has always been lousy, they have the
Trek 520 which is inferior to other brands' touring bicycles. Chain
Reaction's business model is to be a Trek-only dealer and it seems like
a good plan though it does result in some lost sales when Trek has no
product to serve a specific segment. But if you look on Trek's European
web site, there were quite a few suitable bicycles that we would have
considered, but they aren't sold in the U.S..

Not bashing Trek, their business model makes sense--concentrate on
selling high-profit, high margin, carbon-fiber road bikes. A bicycle
shop as good as Chain Reaction should have been able to have two
locations in this area, but shopping center owners can get unreasonable
when it comes to lease renewals. Their Redwood City location is not open
Sundays which is a pain. The owner of the shopping center where
Cupertino Bike Shop moved to a few years ago is looking to tear down the
shopping center to build housing, I'm already being lobbied by someone
to support that rezoning when it comes up, probably next year.

Last Friday night I went to the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition holiday
party held at Microsoft/Linked-In. The companies in this area are really
promoting bicycle commuting. At the party I talked to one of
counterparts in Sunnyvale about bicycle infrastructure. Unfortunately,
SVBC has become involved in issues that discourage bicycling,
Old December 4th 17, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 3:41:21 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
[...]

Hey, synchronicity -- last night, I went to a birthday celebration and campaign rally for a friend of mine who is running for Washington County chair. She is currently a Metro Councilor. Yes, envelopes were distributed, but I'm happy to give. She's a former Intel EE and totally over-powered for any job short of the White House.

I got button-holed by a guy who was on the Bicycle Transportation Alliance board with me a million years ago. Nice guy, but he wanted to talk traffic circles/roundabouts and the various bicycle infrastructure projects in close-in Washington County (Intel and Nike). I was trying to get to the wine. Raptor Ridge -- fabulous Pinot. This guy is still active and trying to make a difference with the local planning departments and has a different agenda than the current iteration of the BTA -- the "Street Trust," which has become too big for its own good and too tied to large scale projects that make the world worse for cyclists like cycletracks, confusing hardscape, etc., etc. It made me want to get involved again -- until I got my wine and got over the impulse.

Its funny that back in the day, the BTA was fighting city planners, including Mia Burke, who went on to start Alta -- the death star of crazy bicycle infrastructure. https://altaplanning.com/alta-planning-and-design/ She told me I was in her book, but I haven't bought a copy. https://www.amazon.com/Joyride-Pedal.../dp/0615384110 I like Mia. I just have a different vision of what makes cycling convenient and pleasant.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 4th 17, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/3/2017 5:04 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Hey, synchronicity -- last night, I went to a birthday celebration and campaign rally for a friend of mine who is running for Washington County chair. She is currently a Metro Councilor. Yes, envelopes were distributed, but I'm happy to give. She's a former Intel EE and totally over-powered for any job short of the White House.

Heh, I was so shy about asking for money. I believe I ran about the
lowest cost campaign in the last 30 years.

I sent you a link to a Google Doc with some of the campaign stuff that
worked for me, maybe your friend can use some of the ideas.

It was a real experience running for office, with unexpected
experiences, i.e. dealing with the distractions like a former mayor, who
is not one my fans, who at one point insisted that someone from our
grassroots group tried to steal his car.

You should run for something.

I got button-holed by a guy who was on the Bicycle Transportation Alliance board with me a million years ago. Nice guy, but he wanted to talk traffic circles/roundabouts and the various bicycle infrastructure projects in close-in Washington County (Intel and Nike). I was trying to get to the wine. Raptor Ridge -- fabulous Pinot. This guy is still active and trying to make a difference with the local planning departments and has a different agenda than the current iteration of the BTA -- the "Street Trust," which has become too big for its own good and too tied to large scale projects that make the world worse for cyclists like cycletracks, confusing hardscape, etc., etc. It made me want to get involved again -- until I got my wine and got over the impulse.

They served Linked-In private label wine at the SVBC party, but they ran
out of the red wine. They had good beer. I expect that in Portland, no
one would dare serve bad beer at any event. The food at the SVBC event
is always terrible, cold, soggy, low-quality, pizza.

Its funny that back in the day, the BTA was fighting city planners, including Mia Burke, who went on to start Alta -- the death star of crazy bicycle infrastructure. https://altaplanning.com/alta-planning-and-design/ She told me I was in her book, but I haven't bought a copy. https://www.amazon.com/Joyride-Pedal.../dp/0615384110 I like Mia. I just have a different vision of what makes cycling convenient and pleasant.

Ah, Alta design. Quite familiar with them of course. They have proposed
nothing crazy in Cupertino. They produce really beautiful reports! I
would think that our own public works people would have come up with
identical proposals since what can be done in terms of infrastructure is
pretty straightforward here, but I can't complain about their proposals.
Old December 4th 17, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 5:41:21 PM UTC-6, sms wrote:

Trek's touring bicycle selection has always been lousy, they have the
Trek 520 which is inferior to other brands' touring bicycles.

Trek has the 520 for loaded touring. Most every other bike company has exactly ONE loaded touring bike too. The 520 is very similar or the exact same as every other loaded touring bike sold. There are no differences in loaded touring bikes. They all have steel frame and forks made in China. Shimano or maybe SRAM mid/low level components. Bar end shifters. 9 speed cassette. Triple crank. They are all the same. None are inferior or superior to the others. They are all the same. Only difference is price. Nashbar and Bikes Direct are at the cheaper end and Trek is at the higher end. Same bike.

I assume you have never ever in your life been loaded touring. The Trek 520 works just fine as a loaded touring bike. I have several months and thousands of miles to back this up. You just want a bike that works just fine day after day. Nothing fancy or wild.
Old December 4th 17, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 4:34:35 PM UTC-6, jbeattie wrote:

Not that you have to buy Trek (particularly if you're an anti-American communist),

-- Jay Beattie.

Probably 99.9% of every bike Trek sells is made in China. I think only their Project One OCLV 9000 or so bike is actually made in USA. All the other carbon bikes come from China. I guess Dell Computer is an American company even though 100% of everything they sell is made in China. And Toyota is a foreign company even though their cars are made in USA. Its a wacky world we live in.
Old December 4th 17, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-12-03 14:34, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I am quite certain I'd rip out those tiny rack mounts within the year:

https://trek.scene7.com/is/image/Tre...=0&cache=on,on

This is how it's done right, four 1/4" diatemer bolts and so on:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy4.JPG

Not that you have to buy Trek (particularly if you're an
anti-American communist), but I'm surprised you couldn't find
something that suited your needs. Bike Gallery has a mind-boggling
variety of bikes. https://www.bikegallery.com/ That's where I got my
Emonda via Trek directly because I know the guys in legal. Shameless
plug: Bike Gallery.

The Yelp post indicates Mike got squeezed on rent and parking. I'm
sure he also go hit by the downturn in the bike market -- which, I am
told, hit all the retailers regardless of brand.

What is causing this bike market downturn?

I wonder if E-bikes could turn that around. Not that I like those, being
more of a purist, but yesterday I test-rode one that my MTB buddy built
up from parts. Heavy Specialized DH MTB, now with a 750W crank motor,
battery pack temporarily strapped to my back. Woohoo, that thing was
like a rocket, uphill it almost wanted to pull a wheelie.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old December 4th 17, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

no demand
Old December 4th 17, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/4/2017 10:46 AM, wrote:
[...]

You can tell the difference between loaded touring bicycles by looking
at the type of steel, the geometry, the components, and the included, if
any, racks.

A big advantage in newer models, is disc brakes, i.e. the Surly Long
Haul Trucker Disc model. These would have been very nice to have when
doing loaded touring on steep long downhill runs.

Chain reaction? atriage[_6_] Racing 7 September 23rd 12 09:47 AM
Anyone else having problems with Chain Reaction? PoB UK 5 December 19th 08 01:44 PM
Chain Reaction Cycles Colin Reed UK 45 August 29th 08 05:57 PM
Chain reaction E-vouchers - help please? Tim Dunne UK 0 January 5th 07 12:54 AM
Chain reaction cycles Bryan UK 4 January 23rd 04 06:03 PM