Charmed life ...

Old May 4th 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Charmed life ...

I watched in dumbfounded disbelief yesterday as a cyclist travelled
toward me...#
Firstly he was travelling East, on the south carriageway, in the North
most lane of the Embankment just below Hungerford Bridge, against the
traffic flow. He then turned to his left,over the pedestrian refuge/
crossing and, without pausing, into the path of a taxi travelling East
in the North carriageway, at this point I thought he would surly die. He
avoided the imminent collision by turning very sharply East and wobbling
Eastwards before performing a U turn in the carriageway that took him
over the pedestrian refuge at the end of Northumberland Avenue nearly
hitting two pedestrians as he cycled between them. He then proceeded up
Northumberland Avenue toward Trafalgar Square crossing in front of two
or three motorcycles who dived to their brakes as he did so without
signalling his intent to cross the carriageway from left to right and
without even glancing behind him. Having completed this manoeuvre he
cycled up the Southbound carriageway almost without incident although a
pedestrian at the crossing halfway up nearly came to grief as the
cyclist zipped past from seemingly the wrong direction, I didn't note
the colour of the crossing. The cyclist then took the wrong side of the
island at the top of Northumberland Avenue again crossed the pedestrian
refuge/crossing area between pedestrians crossing and cycled out into
the traffic stream of vehicles moving ahead into Whitehall at which he
turned right in front of a very large blue bus emerging as if by magic,
for I could see no other reason why the bus did not hit him to zig round
the end of the pedestrian refuge separating East and West Traffic in
Whitehall at its junction with Trafalgar Square, his journey having
taken him a little distance into Whitehall. Having regained Trafalgar
Square he cycled through the Red ATS, in front of the Westbound traffic
entering Trafalgar Square and disappeared toward St James's. I just
could not believe his bare faced cheek or damn luck. If anyone deserved
to be a statistic it had to be him, frankly I can't see why he hasn't
been one yet - other than the bike looked brand new and was a female so
perhaps borrowed bike.

Sniper8052
Old May 4th 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
I watched in dumbfounded disbelief yesterday as a cyclist travelled
toward me..

Dammit, man. You know that in those circumstances, you stop him and ask
him for his choice of lottery numbers.

R.
Old May 4th 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
other than the bike looked brand new and was a female so
perhaps borrowed bike.

Possible permanantly borrowed off some poor chap and she was making a
speedy getaway!

peter

Old May 4th 06, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Sniper8052(L96A1)" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I can only assume, with all that detail that the "cyclist" was you!

Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.

Old May 4th 06, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Pinky" wrote in message
. uk...

"Sniper8052(L96A1)" wrote in message
o.uk...
I watched in dumbfounded disbelief yesterday as a cyclist travelled toward
me...#
Firstly he was travelling East, on the south

snipsnip

Square and disappeared toward St James's. I just could not believe his
bare faced cheek or damn luck. If anyone deserved to be a statistic it
had to be him, frankly I can't see why he hasn't been one yet - other
than the bike looked brand new and was a female so perhaps borrowed bike.

Sniper8052

I can only assume, with all that detail that the "cyclist" was you!

Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.

and while I think about it

*plonk*

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old May 4th 06, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Pinky wrote:
I can only assume, with all that detail that the "cyclist" was you!

If it was he could have done all that legally by turning the blue
flashing light on..

...d

Old May 4th 06, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
[...]

And you chose not to whip out your police badge and re-educate him about
considerate, legal and safe cycling?

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old May 4th 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Pinky wrote:
Sniper8052

and while I think about it

*plonk*

????
Sniper would be one of the last I would killfile. His posting history
is generally well thought out and a positive contribution to the group
(not to mention entertaining about how he actively improves safety for
us on the road).

Definitely more light than heat, even if I don't agree with him at
times.

...d

Old May 4th 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Pinky wrote:
and while I think about it

*plonk*

That seems unreasonable. Sniper has long been a valued contributor to
this ng, and I saw nothing in his observations in this case that
warranted plonking.

--
Danny Colyer URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
Subscribe to PlusNet URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/
Old May 4th 06, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Pinky wrote:
and while I think about it

*plonk*

WTF for? Sniper's posts are well-thought out and/or amusing, albeit
infrequent. They're certainly not kneejerk, like most of mine. :-)

R.

Chain life vs cassette life Euan Techniques 32 August 24th 05 12:34 AM
Bicycleism Bicycleism Social Issues 1 July 19th 05 01:58 PM
Joey D'Antoni and a life of lies..... crit pro Racing 83 December 25th 04 12:52 AM