Cold weather

Old October 29th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob Burns

Default Cold weather

I'm trying to extend my riding into the cold weather this year. Two
problems- what to do about pants and shoes? I can deal with the upper
body and hands with XC ski gear, but I'm having a hard time finding
pants with tapered legs (to stay out of the chain) and shoes. I use toe
clips and an old pair of leather tennis shoes which have smooth soles,
but even with wool socks my feet get cold.

TIA!
"Every day is Saturday when you're retired."

Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
(email is a spamtrap)
Old October 29th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Earl Bollinger

"Bob Burns" wrote in message
k.net...
I'm trying to extend my riding into the cold weather this year. Two
problems- what to do about pants and shoes? I can deal with the upper
body and hands with XC ski gear, but I'm having a hard time finding pants
with tapered legs (to stay out of the chain) and shoes. I use toe clips
and an old pair of leather tennis shoes which have smooth soles, but even
with wool socks my feet get cold.

TIA!
"Every day is Saturday when you're retired."

Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
(email is a spamtrap)

Use duct tape or a wide rubber band or a length of velcro if you want to be
fancy.

Usually everyone opts for things like knee warmers, leg warmers, an under
garment of some sort, tights or bib-tights with and without the inner poly
fleece micro-fibre layer.
The various types of Windstopper fabrics on the front of the tights are good
too.
I really like the latest ASSOS cold weather riding outfit, but I am afraid
that if it fit me I would look more like a M&M in them than what the
advertisements depict.
Usually I suggest toe covers, or booties for the shoes, and taking a thin
foam piece from a egg carton or carry out container, and slip it into your
shoes to help insulate the soles.
Usually a lot of heat is lost out through the bottom of the shoes via the
sole and cleats to the pedals, especially if you use metal cleats like the
SPD pedals use.
:-)

Old October 29th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Eric

Bob Burns wrote:
I'm trying to extend my riding into the cold weather this year. Two
problems- what to do about pants and shoes? I can deal with the upper
body and hands with XC ski gear, but I'm having a hard time finding
pants with tapered legs (to stay out of the chain) and shoes. I use toe
clips and an old pair of leather tennis shoes which have smooth soles,
but even with wool socks my feet get cold.

TIA!
"Every day is Saturday when you're retired."

Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
(email is a spamtrap)

When I rode in 50 degree weather, I just used ski pants. They are
plenty warm, good at keeping the wind out, and have zippers/elastic
bands at the ankles. Don't recall ever having them get eaten by the
chain. The only problem was they weren't tall enough on the back, so
sometimes my back would be exposed. Bibs may help.

I found that shoe covers worked ok, but usually after an hour ride my
feet would have enough. Make sure you wear a hat so your body doesn't
send extra blood to your head. Ski socks have extra padding on the
front of the calf and bottom of the foot, that helps on warmer days.

However, since you're buying all this ski stuff, it is much easier to
ski instead.

How is central PA these days? I-99 done yet?

Eric (formerly from State College)

Old October 29th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob Burns

Eric wrote:
Bob Burns wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I'll ski if we get any snow this year!

I99 is a mess, and not done. They had acid drainage from some of the
rocks they had moved, which turned out to be pyrites and now there is a
big hoo-ha about what to do with the rick. Of course, nobody wants it,
and Penn-Dot is working on a way to cover it in place.

Old October 29th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob Burns

Eric wrote:
Bob Burns wrote:
[...]

big hoo-ha about what to do with the rock. Of course, nobody wants it,

Old October 29th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chris Neary

I found that shoe covers worked ok, but usually after an hour ride my
feet would have enough.

Typical neoprene booties are good for wet weather, but tend to cause cold,
sweaty feet since there is no way for the sweat to escape.

I'm more partial to either:

1) Neoprene toe covers - keep the wind out of your shoes, but are still
comfortable up into the 70's. Below about 40F they are of limited usefulness
for me.

2) Lycra shoe covers. Again, just a windblock for your feet, work down to
about 30F for me. Plus, you get to look like a pro time trialist!

Both items are easy to stow in a jersey pocket if the temperatures really go
up, like it does around my house. Left for a ride yesterday at 30F, by the
time I got home it was about 90F.

Good luck,

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old October 30th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

"Earl Bollinger" I'm having a hard time finding
pants
with tapered legs (to stay out of the chain) and shoes.

I wear blue jeans that I don't mind getting a bit greasy, and keep the front
gear in high so my pants don't hang up on the big gear.

Old October 30th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Matt O'Toole

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:04:34 +0000, Bob Burns wrote:

I'm trying to extend my riding into the cold weather this year. Two
problems- what to do about pants and shoes? I can deal with the upper
body and hands with XC ski gear, but I'm having a hard time finding
pants with tapered legs (to stay out of the chain) and shoes.

Normal tights work fine for me into the mid 30s F. Below that, I have
some Bellwether Windfront tights, which seem like they'd be warm enough to
below 0 F. Supposedly they're Iditasport favorites.

I use toe
clips and an old pair of leather tennis shoes which have smooth soles,
but even with wool socks my feet get cold.

All wool socks are not equal! Look for densely woven, fitted ones (right
and left) from mountaineering stores. These are fine for me with no
booties in mesh shoes to the 30s F. A little plastic wrap around my toes
keeps the wind out. Below the mid-30s F you'll probably want booties.
Most people put them on well above that, but they don't have my good
socks.

Finally, try www.icebike.com

Matt O.
Old October 30th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Matt O'Toole

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 00:32:44 +0000, Ron Wallenfang wrote:

"Earl Bollinger" I'm having a hard time finding
pants
with tapered legs (to stay out of the chain) and shoes.

I wear blue jeans that I don't mind getting a bit greasy, and keep the front
gear in high so my pants don't hang up on the big gear.

I do too for riding around town, at least in dry weather. Classic
Levi's 501 jeans, the shrink to fit kind with the button fly, are slim cut
with narrow cuffs, perfect for cycling.

Matt O.
Old October 30th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

Matt O'Toole wrote:
Normal tights work fine for me into the mid 30s F. Below that, I have
some Bellwether Windfront tights, which seem like they'd be warm enough to
below 0 F. Supposedly they're Iditasport favorites.

I used to use "rain pants" over tights to get an air-insulation space,
but they got chewed up by the chain. Last year, I went with thin
underwear under tights (and over bike shorts for extra groin
protection.) Worked great. I'm thinking of getting a couple pair of
"silk weight" longjohns this year - last years were very thin cotton,
and didn't wear well.

Minus 20C was as cold as I remember. That's about 0F.