Canberra Riding

Old December 21st 06, 09:30 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Marty

Default Canberra Riding

I had to take a little trip to Wellington, (NZ) and Canberra (Aus) so I was
hoping for a bit of spare time to get "out and about". It turned out there
was no time in Wellington but I did have a free afternoon in Canberra so I
hooked up with a local bike shop who brought me a well used Giant, a helmet,
a water bottle, and a map. I was worried that I had no repair kit but the
shop owners instructions were, "If you find yourself in a bind, call me and
I'll hop right over and fix you up". I rode out of the downtown area and
managed to find some fire roads into the ridges and got myself well and
truly lost for about 3 hours. The temps were in the 90's and it was
extremely dry. By the time I got back to the Plaza I was knackered, thirsty,
and in desperate need of a brew. I did find an Aussie brew that is my new
favorite, Coopers Pale Ale. Fifty plus hours of flying for 3 days in
Wellington and 2 days in Canberra. I'd do it all again to get out into those
Aussie hills just one more time.

Marty

Old December 21st 06, 11:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Chris Glidden

"Marty" wrote in message
[...]

I hear there is awsome riding on the South Island of NZ. I'm heading there
on the 1st with the family, we'll be in the north there. Hoping to get a
least a day of riding in Rotorua. Probably won't have alot of time, my
wife is a Kiwi and we will be visiting family and such.

Old December 22nd 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Marty

"Chris Glidden" wrote in message
news

"Marty" wrote in message
[...]

My wife and I lived in Australia for a few years in the early 90's. We spent
a week of that "doing" the south island on an R&R. Bus, train, and helo.
Shotover jet in Queenstown is a must do. Get over to Milford Sound. One of
the prettiest places on earth. This past trip was purely business but I did
take a short hop from Wellington to Blenheim but had no chance for fun. I
looked at those hills surrounding the Marlborough valley and did a lot of
dreaming.

Have fun!

Marty

Old December 22nd 06, 01:52 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

Marty wrote:
[...]

Way to go international, Gunny.

JD

Old December 22nd 06, 05:21 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

Marty wrote:
"Chris Glidden" wrote in message
news

My wife and I lived in Australia for a few years in the early 90's. We spent
a week of that "doing" the south island on an R&R. Bus, train, and helo.
Shotover jet in Queenstown is a must do. Get over to Milford Sound. One of
the prettiest places on earth. This past trip was purely business but I did
take a short hop from Wellington to Blenheim but had no chance for fun. I
looked at those hills surrounding the Marlborough valley and did a lot of
dreaming.

Have fun!

Marty

Did you ever get down to Stewart Island, more particularly, Half Moon
Bay?

CDB

Old December 22nd 06, 08:16 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Parbs

Marty wrote:
snip a brief tale of riding downunder

I did find an Aussie brew that is my new
favorite, Coopers Pale Ale.

Good choice! The preferred post ride re-hydration fluid of most Aussie
riders

Fifty plus hours of flying for 3 days in
Wellington and 2 days in Canberra. I'd do it all again to get out into those
Aussie hills just one more time.

Canberra has some great riding and all very close to the centre of the city

Parbs
Old December 23rd 06, 01:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Marty

"Paladin" wrote in message
ps.com...

Marty wrote:
"Chris Glidden" wrote in message
news

My wife and I lived in Australia for a few years in the early 90's. We
spent
a week of that "doing" the south island on an R&R. Bus, train, and helo.
Shotover jet in Queenstown is a must do. Get over to Milford Sound. One
of
the prettiest places on earth. This past trip was purely business but I
did
take a short hop from Wellington to Blenheim but had no chance for fun. I
looked at those hills surrounding the Marlborough valley and did a lot of
dreaming.

Have fun!

Marty

Did you ever get down to Stewart Island, more particularly, Half Moon
Bay?

CDB

Never made to that loc but I've heard its a beauty place to be.

Old December 25th 06, 03:13 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

"Marty" wrote in message
[...]

If you take a cruise I'd highly recommend Doubtful Sound over Milford.
Less than 1% of the tourists of Milford and just as beautiful.

It's been quite some time since I've been there but I talked to a couple
of mtn bikers in Wellington and they say there is tons of singletrack
within riding distance of the city. There are lots of hiking tracks on
the south island but I don't know if access for mtn bikes has changed
since I was there.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old December 25th 06, 10:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

"Marty" wrote in message
[...]

Melrose, Australia is sister city to the land of Fruitians.

JD

Old January 5th 07, 05:44 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
steve

For a drink after your ride in Canberra try the Wig and Pen Pub which
brews its own beer on the premises. Probably one of the best beers in
the world ( and I ' m from England) is the Aviator Dupple Bock they
sell there in October.

Be careful if you get lost around Canberra as there is not much
civilisation south of it for the next 600km.

There is a new MTB centre at Stromlo which is bidding to hold the 2009
worlds.