Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see (London)

Old June 18th 07, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Default Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see (London)

From the London Cycling Campaign:

See and Be Seen around HGVs.

June 26-27 Tuesday & Wednesday 7am - 7pm

Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see. Turn up
anytime

Two large lorries will be set up all day Tuesday and Wednesday in
Trafalgar Square. This is your chance to get up close and stay safe.
Sit in the driver's cab, see what you look like in the driver's mirror.
Walk / cycle around the lorry, discover where you can be seen and where
you cannot. Talk to the police and some drivers, explain what it's like
cycling near a lorry.

One objective is to educate cyclists by getting to understand lorries.
The other objective is to educate lorry drivers and trainers. You can
take part in video filming of your moves and reactions, tell them what
you think and feel. These videos will be used to help train lorry
drivers in London. The aim is to reduce the number of collisions and
deaths. If a lorry hits a cyclist - it's the cyclist who hurts.

This show is put on by the Commercial Vehicle Education Unit of the Met
Police. They are working to make freight transport safer.

=
Please pass this information on to other cyclists . . . . .

Charlie Lloyd
Cycling Development Officer
London Cycling Campaign

Old June 19th 07, 02:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jonathan Schneider

"Pete Biggs" writes:

From the London Cycling Campaign:

See and Be Seen around HGVs.

June 26-27 Tuesday & Wednesday 7am - 7pm

Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see. Turn up
anytime

I've always felt the driving test should include compulsary rides
in/on an HGV, a horse and a motorbike.

Jon
Old June 19th 07, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_2_]

Jonathan Schneider wrote:
"Pete Biggs" writes:

From the London Cycling Campaign:

See and Be Seen around HGVs.

June 26-27 Tuesday & Wednesday 7am - 7pm

Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see. Turn up
anytime

I've always felt the driving test should include compulsary rides
in/on an HGV, a horse and a motorbike.

Oh... a *horse*...

I read it at first as "hearse".

Might not be a bad idea though - concentrating the mind and certainly
better than a ride on a horse.
Old June 20th 07, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Clayton

"Pete Biggs" wrote in
message ...
From the London Cycling Campaign:

See and Be Seen around HGVs.

June 26-27 Tuesday & Wednesday 7am - 7pm

Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see. Turn up
anytime

snipped

This show is put on by the Commercial Vehicle Education Unit of the Met
Police. They are working to make freight transport safer.

=
Please pass this information on to other cyclists . . . . .

Charlie Lloyd
Cycling Development Officer
London Cycling Campaign

Sounds to me like a damn good idea.
Should be a national roadshow -and just like Johnatthan Schneider said - it
ought to involve others too.
Sadly - little or fat chance.
John Clayton
www.calder-clarion.co.uk

Old June 26th 07, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 18 Jun, 22:55, "Pete Biggs" wrote:
From the London Cycling Campaign:

See and Be Seen around HGVs.

June 26-27 Tuesday & Wednesday 7am - 7pm

Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see. Turn up
anytime

The police were handing out leaflets about it this morning. Good idea.

Old June 26th 07, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

On Jun 26, 8:37 am, POHB wrote:
On 18 Jun, 22:55, "Pete Biggs" wrote:

From the London Cycling Campaign:

See and Be Seen around HGVs.

June 26-27 Tuesday & Wednesday 7am - 7pm

Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see. Turn up
anytime

The police were handing out leaflets about it this morning. Good idea.

It would be great if someone could get some reasonable pictures of the
event. Post them on the citycycling Flickr group..

...d

Old June 27th 07, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Jun 18, 10:55 pm, "Pete Biggs"
p...@pomegranateremovehighlyimpracticalfruitbiggs .tc wrote:
From the London Cycling Campaign:

See and Be Seen around HGVs.

June 26-27 Tuesday & Wednesday 7am - 7pm

Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see. Turn up
anytime

Two large lorries will be set up all day Tuesday and Wednesday in
Trafalgar Square. This is your chance to get up close and stay safe.
Sit in the driver's cab, see what you look like in the driver's mirror.

This is well worth going to see. I'd recommend it to everybody.

Tim.

Old June 27th 07, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On Jun 27, 7:57 am, "
wrote:
This is well worth going to see. I'd recommend it to everybody.

Another copper tried to give me a leaflet and said I'd get a free gift
if I went.
What are they giving away?

Old June 27th 07, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Jun 27, 2:45 pm, POHB wrote:
On Jun 27, 7:57 am, "
wrote:

This is well worth going to see. I'd recommend it to everybody.

Another copper tried to give me a leaflet and said I'd get a free gift
if I went.
What are they giving away?

A fluorescent yellow waterproof thing to cover your bag. Folds up into
it's own pocket - it will be quite useful for me as my brompton bag is
not completely waterproof and it's small enough and light enough that
it can just live in the bag permanently.

Tim.