Annual Road-Find Thread

Old November 30th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Annual Road-Find Thread

First of all, for those who recall that I was in a nasty crash three
months back, I'll announce that I rode a bike last week! Just down to
the corner and back, and I was kinds wobbly, but I'm getting better.
I'm also back on to work at last.

Now on to business. My only useful road find this year was a rather
nice pair of pliers, complete with interesting indentations in the jaws
for holding -- something -- in place while squeezing it.
That, plus of course the usual sockets, towels, and inexplicable
cutlery. In three successive days this spring I found a spoon, a knife,
and the proverbial Fork In The Road.
How did the rest of you do?

Bill

__o | You never know what is enough
_`\(,_ | until you know what is too much.
(_)/ (_) | --William Blake
Old November 30th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

someone wrote:

My only useful road find this year was a rather nice pair of pliers,
complete with interesting indentations in the jaws for holding --
something -- in place while squeezing it. That, plus of course the
usual sockets, towels, and inexplicable cutlery. In three
successive days this spring I found a spoon, a knife, and the
proverbial Fork In The Road. How did the rest of you do?

Lots of road money, cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters. No tools
lately. I guess the number of folks who work on cars and leave tools
under the hood is declining. However, people who lay things on the
roof of the car and drive away seems to remain constant... clothing
and occasionally wallets.

Jobst Brandt
Old November 30th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
rms[_2_]

However, people who lay things on the
roof of the car and drive away seems to remain constant... clothing
and occasionally wallets.

I found a nice piece of luggage, likely from the above scenario, on a
mountain road shoulder. No identifying marks in it tho.

rms

Old December 1st 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
wrote:

First of all, for those who recall that I was in a nasty crash three
months back, I'll announce that I rode a bike last week! Just down to
the corner and back, and I was kinds wobbly, but I'm getting better.
I'm also back on to work at last.

Now on to business. My only useful road find this year was a rather
nice pair of pliers, complete with interesting indentations in the jaws
for holding -- something -- in place while squeezing it.
That, plus of course the usual sockets, towels, and inexplicable
cutlery. In three successive days this spring I found a spoon, a knife,
and the proverbial Fork In The Road.
How did the rest of you do?

Slim pickings this year. But locally, learning and new drivers are
required to sport a magnetic placard about 4"x6" (it's an "N" on a
reflective green background or an "L" on a reflective red background).

I find about one of those a month, usually lying face-down.

There was a dime, inconveniently located in a busy intersection, that I
rode past for days on end.

Also, a nice big hook with a carabiner closure and about 4" of webbing
still attached to it. Haven't decided what to do with that.

--
Ryan Cousineau
http://www.wiredcola.com/
Old December 1st 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ted

On Nov 30, 12:39*pm, wrote:
* *First of all, for those who recall that I was in a nasty crash three
months back, I'll announce that I rode a bike last week!

Glad to hear you're back!
About all I found was a piece of vinyl siding laying diagonally across
the side of the road. The road crew knew it was not part of their job
description so they painted over it. Other than that the usual
skunks, porcupines, raccoons, frogs, and a few pennies.

Ted.

Old December 1st 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Nov 30, 11:39*am, wrote:
* *First of all, for those who recall that I was in a nasty crash three
months back, I'll announce that I rode a bike last week! *Just down to
the corner and back, and I was kinds wobbly, but I'm getting better. *
I'm also back on to work at last.

* *Now on to business. *My only useful road find this year was a rather
nice pair of pliers, complete with interesting indentations in the jaws
for holding -- something -- in place while squeezing it.
* *That, plus of course the usual sockets, towels, and inexplicable
cutlery. *In three successive days this spring I found a spoon, a knife,
and the proverbial Fork In The Road.
* *How did the rest of you do?

I found an inflatable dinghy by the Harpeth, started to roll it up,
but decided against dragging it thirty miles home. Got a couple water
bottles that I sterilized, a soccer ball, and a woman's watch.
Old December 2nd 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bluezfolk

On Nov 30, 12:39*pm, wrote:
* *First of all, for those who recall that I was in a nasty crash three
months back, I'll announce that I rode a bike last week! *Just down to
the corner and back, and I was kinds wobbly, but I'm getting better. *
I'm also back on to work at last.

* *Now on to business. *My only useful road find this year was a rather
nice pair of pliers, complete with interesting indentations in the jaws
for holding -- something -- in place while squeezing it.
* *That, plus of course the usual sockets, towels, and inexplicable
cutlery. *In three successive days this spring I found a spoon, a knife,
and the proverbial Fork In The Road.
* *How did the rest of you do?

Bill

* *__o * | *You never know what is enough
*_`\(,_ *| until you know what is too much.
(_)/ (_) | * * * * * * * * --William Blake

My best find ever was a wallett with $72 in it. Only ID was a piece
of paper with "mom's cell phone #" on it. I tracked it down and
returned it to the kids sister. She asked for my phone # so the kid
could call and thank me, but he never did.

Eric
Old December 4th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
bluezfolk writes:
On Nov 30, 12:39*pm, wrote:
* *First of all, for those who recall that I was in a nasty crash three
months back, I'll announce that I rode a bike last week! *Just down to
the corner and back, and I was kinds wobbly, but I'm getting better. *
I'm also back on to work at last.

* *Now on to business. *My only useful road find this year was a rather
nice pair of pliers, complete with interesting indentations in the jaws
for holding -- something -- in place while squeezing it.
* *That, plus of course the usual sockets, towels, and inexplicable
cutlery. *In three successive days this spring I found a spoon, a knife,
and the proverbial Fork In The Road.
* *How did the rest of you do?

I've been on the lookout for interesting and useful places to stop.

One is a grocery store that sells Dole Sparklers[tm]
Pink Grapefruit Cocktail. I've developed a taste for
the stuff, and this store is the only source I've
found for it. I also (rather too easily because
these are not too far afield) came across yet another
specialty cheese shop, and a shop that sells board &
tabletop games -- I bought a nice pleather-bound set
of double-12 dominoes from that one.

I'm currently keeping an eye open for a source of
Barritts Stone Ginger Beer. I probably won't find
such a source, but what the heck. I've been
serendipitied before.

I also keep a weather eye open for neighbourhood
corner grocery stores when riding through areas
in town I'm less familiar with. They used to be
practically a Vancouver tradition, but they're
now an endangered species. And sometimes it's
nice to haul into a quiet backwater neighbourhood,
and know exactly where to buy a Coke and whatever
confections tickle your fancy to enjoy (like
Twizzlers,) while you cool yer heels for a bit.

I think the early 80's Recession plus the
contemporaneous cocaine trade killed our
corner stores 'cuz they just got robbed so much,
so the corner store proprietors decided to just
close down. It's a regrettable loss to society.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old December 9th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

I found a brassiere (B-cup) on a ride a couple of weeks ago. I left it
there, it was of no use to me.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"