More cyclists getting in the way

Old March 30th 11, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

Default More cyclists being put at risk.

On 30/03/2011 19:57, Adam Lea wrote:
On 30/03/11 13:09, PhilO wrote:
On Mar 30, 9:13 am, wrote:

when I went to central London recently the endangerment and injury to
pedestrians that I saw all came from cyclists.

Really? How many injuries to pedestrians by cyclists did you see?
You didn't see any endangerment to pedestrians caused by motor
vehicles?
We don't believe you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

QUOTE:
Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is a
tendency for people to favor information that confirms their preconceptions
or hypotheses regardless of whether the information is true.[Note 1][1] As a
result, people gather evidence and recall information from memory
selectively, and interpret it in a biased way. The biases appear in
particular for emotionally significant issues and for established beliefs.
ENDQUOTE

This must be part of the reason why some cyclists routinely refuse to accept
that there is so much aggressive and anti-social cycling, especially on
footways in Central London, even though any unbiased pedestrian observer will
witness numerous instances every day.

Old March 30th 11, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

JNugent wrote:
On 30/03/2011 18:08, Tony Raven wrote:

JNugent wrote:

The probability he saw three in two and a half hours beggars
belief. But I am sure you believe him; I wouldn't expect anything
else.

Why would he not be telling the truth? What benefit could he derive
from it? Surely you are the one with more incentive to dissemble on
this issue? And to over-interpret statistics which are hazy at best?

How long have you been here and you haven't twigged why non-cyclist
Mr Cheerless is here?

Answer my questions first?

I do have several bicycles and even ride them in fine weather.
Anything I state is something that I have actually seen has quite definitely
happened, I have no interest in the Doug school of reporting.
I was brought to this group to counter Doug's rubbish and have been a happy
member of the group ever since I worked out whom to killfile.

The particular one way street where several cyclists were either on the
pavement or going the wrong way along it is on the other side of the main
drag outside the V and A and I would guess a little to the West. Two of the
pedestrians that I saw being bumped into and abused by cyclists were at a
crossing of the same main drag, again a bit to the west (left if you look at
the front of the va) The other ped was at a miscellaneous set of lights and
was got by a cyclist abusing an advanced stop line thing, the two cyclists
colliding was somewhere over toward Greenwich, one cyclist came straight off
the pavement at a set of lights and was hit by a cyclist who was RLJ. I
just wish that I had a magic camera and had recorded it for youtube.

Mrcheerful

Old March 30th 11, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 30/03/2011 20:59, Tony Raven wrote:

Tony wrote:

I haven't been near the V& A for ages so I don't know what it is like
there, what made you think I have?

I didn't. But I seem to remember both you and JN have complained of
frequently being hit by cyclists in London. BICBW

Clearly and ironically (given your recent backfiring attempt at an insult
related to London geography), you really don't know London very well. In
particular, you appear to have a very odd sense of its size relative to the
size of the Victoria and Albert Museum.

Additionally, you have resorted to fabrication again, haven't you? I have
never claimed to have been "frequently being hit by cyclists in London" or
elsewhere. But I do see frequent blatant aggressiveness and illegalities
committed by cyclists - particularly in Central London. In fact, so do you,
though you cannot bring yourself to admit it (possibly due to Confirmation
bias [sic]).

I'm happy to put you right. Hope you accept the corrections in the spirit in
which they are intended.

Old March 30th 11, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Tony wrote:

[...]

You know I don't often agree with all you say, but this time you are
spot on.
Old March 30th 11, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

"Mrcheerful" wrote:

I do have several bicycles and even ride them in fine weather.

Why don't you tell us something about your bikes, some of your rides?

The particular one way street where several cyclists were either on the
pavement or going the wrong way along it is on the other side of the main
drag outside the V and A and I would guess a little to the West. Two of the
pedestrians that I saw being bumped into and abused by cyclists were at a
crossing of the same main drag, again a bit to the west (left if you look at
the front of the va) The other ped was at a miscellaneous set of lights and
was got by a cyclist abusing an advanced stop line thing, the two cyclists
colliding was somewhere over toward Greenwich, one cyclist came straight off
the pavement at a set of lights and was hit by a cyclist who was RLJ. I
just wish that I had a magic camera and had recorded it for youtube.

I can't recall anywhere round there that has crossings except the ones at
the light controlled junctions on the A4 and there is no way you would ride
the wrong way round the South Ken one way system or on the pavements there.
The only place left is Thurloe Square and you wouldn't ride the wrong way
on the road there or on the pavement - far easier to use the nearby
parallel leg in the other direction. So I'm at a loss as to where this
could possibly have happened.

--
Tony
Old March 30th 11, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 30/03/2011 21:39, Tony Raven wrote:

wrote:

The particular one way street where several cyclists were either on the
pavement or going the wrong way along it is on the other side of the main
drag outside the V and A and I would guess a little to the West. Two of the
pedestrians that I saw being bumped into and abused by cyclists were at a
crossing of the same main drag, again a bit to the west (left if you look at
the front of the va) The other ped was at a miscellaneous set of lights and
was got by a cyclist abusing an advanced stop line thing...

I can't recall anywhere round there that has crossings except the ones at
the light controlled junctions on the A4 and there is no way you would ride
the wrong way round the South Ken one way system or on the pavements there.

Just as *if* a cyclist would abuse a pedestrian crossing, ignore a red
traffic light, cycle along the footway or go the wrong way in a one-way
street, eh?

Is your post an example of what another poster called "Confirmation bias"?
Old March 30th 11, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Cromwell place is the one way street, I believe, which is shown on sky views
of google earth as one way and street view as two way, there are road works
and traffic lights to the left on cromwell road and it was there that the
peds got knocked about by cyclists.

Old March 30th 11, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterG

*wrote:
[...]

Has Tony Ravin ever blamed a cyclist for anything?
Old March 30th 11, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor A Panther

wrote:
[...]

Rarely -- if ever!

--
From
Trevor A Panther

Old March 30th 11, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On 30 Mar 2011 10:34:38 GMT, Tony Raven wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote:

when I went to central London recently the endangerment and injury to
pedestrians that I saw all came from cyclists.

You need to go to Specsavers. TfL 2009 figures for Greater London:

Pedestrians injured by cyclists: 78
Pedestrians injured by motor vehicles: 5,049.

Bet you didn't really see a single pedestrian injury by a cyclist with only
one happening in the whole of London every 5 days.

I really wonder if you believe this ****e that you post?

Do you really believe that there is only one accident between a pedestrian and a cyclist only once
every five days in the whole of London?

You are getting just like Porky Chapman and his little piglets - not exactly lies but as close as
can be.

What you meant to say was that the police were involved with such accidents once every five days.
I have witnessed (and experienced) a number of accidents between pedestrians and cyclists.

The police were never called - and half the time the cyclist ****ed off smartish.

So that is why the number appears to be low.

But of course you know that don't you?

However - it is great that you post ****e like this on a regular basis - as people can see that you
are having to clutch at straws more and more often.

--

"Then back to my club on Pall Mall "

Tony Raven - pretentious tosser