Bike Ride for Charity

Old February 4th 05, 03:30 PM
davek

Default Bike Ride for Charity

It's a good idea to start locally - contact local papers and local
radio stations and see if they are interested in publicising you (past
experience of working on local newspapers suggests that they will be
very interested). Also try contacting the bigger local businesses
directly. I wouldn't bother with any of the really big
national/regional companies - not at first, at least - because they
tend to get lots of requests of this kind (having said that, the UK HQ
of Pfizer is local to me and I know someone who successfully tapped
them up for a few quid on a recent charity endeavour).

It also helps if you have a specific charity in mind - if you do,
contact them and see what mechanisms they have in place to help you.
The bigger charities usually have a press office and 'packaged'
strategies for fund-raising activities that will make life much easier
for you.

d.

Old February 4th 05, 04:17 PM
JohnB

dannyfrankszzz wrote:

Hi, I'm thinking about doing a long bike ride for charity later this
year. I was thinking about doing a Europe to Asia trip of some
variety.

If I asked my close family and friends, then I would probably not raise
much more than a few hundred pounds and so I was thinking about
approaching some companies for sponsorship.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this sort of thing - if so I
would very much like to hear from you and what sort of approach you
took.

Certain Trusts can be worth approaching so long as you can show that
there is benefit to others and its not just a way of financing a holiday
- which far too many charity events are.

And *always* be prepared to give something tangible back.

John B
Old February 5th 05, 11:17 AM
congokid

In message .com,
davek writes

Also try contacting the bigger local businesses
directly. I wouldn't bother with any of the really big
national/regional companies - not at first, at least - because they
tend to get lots of requests of this kind (having said that, the UK HQ
of Pfizer is local to me and I know someone who successfully tapped
them up for a few quid on a recent charity endeavour).

Most large and multinational companies draw up charity policies to avoid
getting tapped by every person looking for sponsorship for this or that
charity. They vary in nature, but in my experience it's usually a lump
sum for a year over an agreed number of years, before the policy is
reviewed and another charity selected (sometimes voted on by staff from
a shortlist produced by the HR office).

There's usually nothing to stop local offices supporting their own local
charities, but these tend to be ones in which the staff, or whoever in
the company takes on the job of fundraising, already have a specific
interest.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google