Take the lane. Any lane. Or both of them.

Old October 27th 19, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Take the lane. Any lane. Or both of them.

https://ktla.com/2019/10/26/video-dr...n-silver-lake/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 27th 19, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Sunday, October 27, 2019 at 8:24:59 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://ktla.com/2019/10/26/video-dr...n-silver-lake/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

This is an everyday occurrence in California.
Old October 28th 19, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, 27 October 2019 11:24:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://ktla.com/2019/10/26/video-dr...n-silver-lake/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Too bad he was riding in the middle of that road. Had he been on the right side of the road the car would most likely have missed him. The first time I watched the videos I thought it was a one-way street but then in one of the videos I saw a car going the opposite direction of the mini-cooper.

Cheers
Old October 28th 19, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 28/10/2019 3:56 p.m., Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 27 October 2019 11:24:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://ktla.com/2019/10/26/video-dr...n-silver-lake/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Too bad he was riding in the middle of that road. Had he been on the right side of the road the car would most likely have missed him. The first time I watched the videos I thought it was a one-way street but then in one of the videos I saw a car going the opposite direction of the mini-cooper.

Cheers

I thought the same. Looks like they were both riding in the middle of
the road. No lane markings. I would have been to the right I think but
it's hard to know what the circumstances were from this video. Maybe
the cyclist had a reason for avoiding the right side though I didn't see
any cars or anything.
Old October 28th 19, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, 28 October 2019 16:09:22 UTC-4, duane wrote:
[...]

IIRC, in the video at the top of the page (that video is no longer visible for me) near the end of that video you saw a car going in the opposite direction of the mini-cooper.

Another thing I think I see in the video still up is that the bicyclist actually stopped before the car hit him. Again if the bicyclist had swerved whilst sprinting he may have avoided being hit.

None of these are intended to remove blame from the driver for not stopping.. Perhaps the driver didn't stop because they needed time for alcohol or drugs to leave their system?

Cheers
Old October 28th 19, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

My thought was that maybe the driver was in the Center of the road for the
same reason that the cyclist was. Hard to say for our arm chairs.

Old October 30th 19, 11:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

My suggestion regarding hit-and-run drivers is that leaving the scene of a crash should be legally regarded as proof of intent.
Old October 30th 19, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/30/2019 6:08 AM, Chalo wrote:
My suggestion regarding hit-and-run drivers is that leaving the scene of a crash should be legally regarded as proof of intent.

It's already a serious crime in itself. On paper anyway.

Like 'felon in possession' and 'use of firearm in commission
of a crime', 'leaving the scene' and 'failure to render
aid' are seldom charged.

Old October 30th 19, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, October 30, 2019 at 6:36:18 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/30/2019 6:08 AM, Chalo wrote:
My suggestion regarding hit-and-run drivers is that leaving the scene of a crash should be legally regarded as proof of intent.

It's already a serious crime in itself. On paper anyway.

Like 'felon in possession' and 'use of firearm in commission
of a crime', 'leaving the scene' and 'failure to render
aid' are seldom charged.

It's a felony in Oregon and often charged as a fall-back or along with an assault crime. https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/811.705

-- Jay Beattie
Old October 31st 19, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 30, 2019 at 11:08:25 AM UTC, Chalo wrote:
My suggestion regarding hit-and-run drivers is that leaving the scene of a crash should be legally regarded as proof of intent.

+1

Andre Jute
Chalo has a habit of cutting to the nub of the matter