torque wrench issues

Old May 4th 17, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default torque wrench issues

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 12:33:02 PM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:
wrote in message
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 11:08:19 AM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:
wrote in message

A pH of 7 is neutral Normal rain is 5.5. It probably won't help you but
normal rain is acidic.

So what point were you supposedly trying to make?

Normal rain causes metal to corrode, and mostly due to galvanic action
around spots of impurities. Potential differences arise and electrolysis
dissociates metal ions.

Acid rain (as in sulphur pollution) simply does the same thing more
enthusiastically.

If rain was pure distilled water, there would be no galvanic potentials
and
probably hardly any corrosion - a lot less people would bother painting
or
plating metals.

What it means is that I'm sick and tired of some ass throwing around
leftist passwords about things that they don't know about.

"Acid rain" occurs every single day in many locations of the world from
totally natural events such as emissions from volcanoes or geothermal
outlets. That coal fired power plants also caused it only means that there
is a learning curve and if you aren't willing to take any chances at all
you are a idiot.

"leftist passwords" are orders of magnitude better than running off at a
totally irrelevant tangent that has nothing whatever to do with what's being
discussed.

You're quite right Ian. This is after all a bicycling TECH group and not a political group. So perhaps I can hold my stupid political prognostications if you can withhold your insults to everyone else and tell us about how etymology would have anything whatsoever to do with the discussions at hand.
Old May 4th 17, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 12:41:07 PM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:
wrote in message
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 11:13:45 AM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:
"John B Slocomb" wrote in message

Actually, like so much else of their culture, they have pirated the
term from the French.

"Galvanic - From French galvanique, after Italian physiologist Luigi
Aloisio Galvani"

And what did he invent/discover?

It would be very interesting to know what in hell YOU ever invented

Several novel circuits published in a variety of electronics magazines that
I could be bothered remembering.

Most of the bodges I devise are an improvement on the original equipment -
which I wouldn't have bothered messing with if it hadn't failed in the first
place.

And all I've ever seen you contribute is an abusive manner.

You seem to think you're superior - I can't be the only one who thinks
you're not.

And I automated the PCR system that identified the HIV virus in the world's blood banking system and then expanded it to analyze DNA. The gave the chief chemist, Dr. Mullis, the Nobel Prize in Chemistry before the Nobel committee decided to trash the good name of Alfred Nobel by handing out prizes to people for being good looking or black.

I have thrown away so many prizes and company rewards that I probably could have gotten rich by recovering the gold plating.

I don't think that any of this is particularly relevant to the subject we should be discussing here. The people I worked with didn't even know that I was project manager and was their boss. I was the guy that was part of the cycling group.
Old May 4th 17, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 11:18:22 AM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:
wrote in message
On Tue, 2 May 2017 19:12:39 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John B Slocomb" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 1 May 2017 19:49:36 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

a great deal deleted

know of cadmium plating being very dangerous.
You will only weld or braze galvanized steel in a poorly ventilated
space ONCE unless you are REALLY stupid.

I have never become aware of the dire consequences of welding zinc
plated
that are being spouted here.

"galvanised" can be plated with *ANY* metal that has a higher galvanic
affinity than the host metal. Including cadmium and various other toxic
heavy metals.

I can only assume that you are not from a country where English is the
common language as the definition of "galvanized" in the U.S. (and
likely in other English speaking countries) is, and I quote, "Covered
with Zinc".

I'm in an English speaking country that's heard of etymology.

You mayb be an etymologist and a Brit, but you have little or no
technical knowlege from what you keep saying.

You kooks are hilarious, but you do get tedious quite quickly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tedi...1330&bih =676
Old May 4th 17, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

I agree with you but perhaps the fix is to start a new thread about bicycle technology. How about why carbon frames are crappy?
Old May 4th 17, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

wrote in message

[...]

I'm confused - which of the points you raised have anything to do with
politics?

Some of the replies were from people so stupid they're a danger to
themselves and others - you can't just not bother making them aware of this.

If you knew what etymology was - you could find that galvanic effect
involves electrical potential differences that promote corrosion.

ISTR: it was you that started ranting about leftists.

Old May 4th 17, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

wrote in message
[...]

Or you could've given them to the interns that did all the work.

Old May 4th 17, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 3:32:42 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 3:37:44 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Feel free to go away.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Yo, Franki-boy, feel free not to read any posts whose senders make you uncomfortable by not agreeing that you know everything. However, don't feel free to decide who can come to RBT. You've already been burned once for that crime (what happened to your dream of being "a spokesman for bicycles"?), and I'll burn you for it again any time I see you attack anybody's freedom of speech. We have enough scum in erstwhile good universities trying to shut up and exclude people for whom they don't have answers, so we don't need tenth-rate superannuated ******s like you attempting the same slimy suppression of free speech on RBT.

Andre Jute
I may not agree with Ian Field, but I'll stomp you for denying his right to be wrong as persistently as he cares to be.

I don't mind his being wrong so much as purposely being so for no other reason than to be provocative. This isn't free speech - it's starting a fight. And I for one would give it to him in a second were he not protected by distance.

I already said earlier that on cadmium Field is just stupid. But being stupid -- or provocative -- is a constitutionally protected right in America, a privilege I'm perfectly happy to extend to everyone else in the world.

Andre Jute
Liberty is indivisible and it's smallest and largest units are both free speech
Old May 5th 17, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote in message

[...]

Does your understanding of the etymology of "galvanic corrosion" tell you that it has nothing in particular to do with zinc? Does your etymology tell you that at increased temperatures "pure water" can become acidic enough to promote galvanic corrosion?

Look, I don't know where you came from but I've a very good idea where you're going. And it isn't because you're smart.
Old May 5th 17, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

wrote in message

[...]

Any lie will do - its so easy to miss quote me - the point I made that you
were too thick to get was; zinc isn't the *ONLY* galvanic protection metal.

My understanding is plenty sufficient to see that I considered the whole
picture, while you pick out narrow examples that help your opinion.

Old May 5th 17, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

wrote:

[...]

I pointed out that cadmium is toxic, if you think that's stupid - good luck
with that...................

Inhalation is the most efficient route for cadmium poisoning, so my comments
about welding cad plated steel were exactly correct. If you think its less
dangerous than zinc - good luck with that...............

There's no immediate effects to warn you of the danger - but just you wait
till the osteoporosis sets in.

Cadmium ingestion is less dangerous - researchers reportedly fed small
amounts of it to laboratory rodents and observed much less toxic effect than
expected - but I still wouldn't bother trying it (this is left as a project
for the student).

torque wrench issues Andrew Chaplin Techniques 46 April 27th 17 02:55 PM
TORQUE WRENCH ? kolldata Techniques 3 June 22nd 11 04:04 AM
Torque Wrench Use Graham Sharman Techniques 11 July 3rd 07 11:04 PM