Your gearing is obsolete

Old June 11th 20, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Your gearing is obsolete

https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new
10~50 cassette!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 11th 20, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/11/2020 11:53 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new 10~50 cassette!

50 teeth! Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when my 34 tooth biggest
cog was considered too small.

I'm getting a little out of date. I gotta catch up.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 11th 20, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 7:23:34 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2020 11:53 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new 10~50 cassette!

50 teeth! Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when my 34 tooth biggest
cog was considered too small.

I'm getting a little out of date. I gotta catch up.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Ah, you give us a voucher to make fun of your dorky handlebar bag and all the other stuff you bolted to your bike one more time. Keep up the good work.

Lou
Old June 11th 20, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 11:13:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 7:23:34 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2020 11:53 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new 10~50 cassette!

50 teeth! Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when my 34 tooth biggest
cog was considered too small.

I'm getting a little out of date. I gotta catch up.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Ah, you give us a voucher to make fun of your dorky handlebar bag and all the other stuff you bolted to your bike one more time. Keep up the good work.

You are not a true utility cyclist. Be quiet. You probably wear a helmet, also known as a head-shackle.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 11th 20, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 9:35:56 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 11:13:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 7:23:34 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2020 11:53 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new 10~50 cassette!

50 teeth! Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when my 34 tooth biggest
cog was considered too small.

I'm getting a little out of date. I gotta catch up.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Ah, you give us a voucher to make fun of your dorky handlebar bag and all the other stuff you bolted to your bike one more time. Keep up the good work.

You are not a true utility cyclist. Be quiet. You probably wear a helmet, also known as a head-shackle.

-- Jay Beattie.

I'm certainly not a true utility cyclist. Hauling gallons of milk or crates of beer seems silly to me if you have a car on your driveway.

Lou
Old June 11th 20, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/11/2020 4:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

That's interesting. The U.S. currently has an enthusiastic industry and
publicity machine saying we should build Netherlands-style bike paths
everywhere.

Why? Because then people will stop driving their cars!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 11th 20, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, 11 June 2020 11:53:41 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new
10~50 cassette!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

How does the weight of that 10-50 cassette compare to a three allow chainrings and a 7-speed or 8-speed steel cassette of 14-32?
Old June 11th 20, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 8:01:23 PM UTC+2, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 11 June 2020 11:53:41 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new
10~50 cassette!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

How does the weight of that 10-50 cassette compare to a three allow chainrings and a 7-speed or 8-speed steel cassette of 14-32?

Weight isn't the reason to come up with this kind of stuff. Get rid of the FD is.

Lou
Old June 11th 20, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 8:01:23 PM UTC+2, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 11 June 2020 11:53:41 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new
10~50 cassette!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

How does the weight of that 10-50 cassette compare to a three allow
chainrings and a 7-speed or 8-speed steel cassette of 14-32?

Weight isn't the reason to come up with this kind of stuff. Get rid of the FD is.

Lou

Indeed this was driven by MTBers modifying their bikes, so companies
followed SRAM in particular.

My old MTB which was 3-9 I switched over to 1-9 few years back.

Makes for a simpler system for the commute and with a chain catcher much
less hassle.

For that bike it works well even with kit that’s not intended, ie not a
wide/narrow chainring hence the chain catcher.

Roger Merriman

Old June 11th 20, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/11/2020 2:14 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 8:01:23 PM UTC+2, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 11 June 2020 11:53:41 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new
10~50 cassette!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

How does the weight of that 10-50 cassette compare to a three allow chainrings and a 7-speed or 8-speed steel cassette of 14-32?

Weight isn't the reason to come up with this kind of stuff. Get rid of the FD is.

Because it's SO difficult to move another lever?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Dynamos - obsolete? Jim Easterbrook UK 3 December 22nd 05 02:47 PM
Dynamos - obsolete? Tony B UK 1 December 22nd 05 11:55 AM
Dynamos - obsolete? Just zis Guy, you know? UK 1 December 22nd 05 12:40 AM
Dynamos - obsolete? Nigel Cliffe UK 0 December 21st 05 08:48 PM
Parts already obsolete? [email protected] General 68 September 24th 05 03:00 AM