Disk brakes

Old June 15th 20, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

Default Disk brakes

So if I go the disk brakes route thinking Lynskey. Option for mechanical or hydraulic, what is the better option? Are either of them really all that hard to keep working with properly? Seems if you have bleed hydraulic that would be a little more but nut rocket science.

Finally I really do fine with standard rim brakes but seems the future is only in disk. I can only see a downside to rim brakes in going down long mountains and heating. Rain would make them better too. Could all be completely overblown too?

Deacon Mark
Old June 15th 20, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 10:10:39 AM UTC-7, Mark Cleary wrote:
So if I go the disk brakes route thinking Lynskey. Option for mechanical or hydraulic, what is the better option? Are either of them really all that hard to keep working with properly? Seems if you have bleed hydraulic that would be a little more but nut rocket science.

Finally I really do fine with standard rim brakes but seems the future is only in disk. I can only see a downside to rim brakes in going down long mountains and heating. Rain would make them better too. Could all be completely overblown too?

Deacon Mark

I prefer hydraulic discs, and on some bikes, the cable runs for mechanical disks add too much cable drag for weak return springs and you end up with pad drag and weak braking. After initial installation, bleeding is unnecessary (at least for Shimano road discs), and the only thing you need to do is watch pad wear. The brakes self-adjust, but you can find yourself braking with the aluminum pad carriers. Set up is easy -- far easier than cantilevers.

Pads are expensive, you will need a bleed/install kit (assuming you're building the bike) and will have bikes with different wheels -- and you will have to deal with odd-ball through axle standards (12mm/15mm). You have to buy rotors. If this all comes OE, then no big deal except the cost of pads. Also, hydro discs means either 10/11/12 speed, and if you had your heart set on 8sp STI/Ergo, you're out of luck. I don't know of any hydro levers-only for road, so if you had your heart set on DT shifters or bar-ends, you'll have to shop around.

Wet braking with discs is superior to rim brakes. There is no rim wear, which was a problem for me riding in the PNW. You can use whatever rim you want (CF, aluminum, dimpled steel) and can use whatever tire fits your bike because there is no brake arch or straddle cable. Great fender clearance. I have discs on my wet weather bikes but not on my racing bike (descriptive term for bike type and not my use), but sometimes I wish I did because even in dry weather, my poor rims are getting ground down. OTOH, rim brakes on dry weather bikes are fine, light and simpler. They work well for most people.

IF I were building a one-bike solution, it would have hydro discs.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 15th 20, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/15/2020 1:10 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
So if I go the disk brakes route thinking Lynskey. Option for mechanical or hydraulic, what is the better option? Are either of them really all that hard to keep working with properly? Seems if you have bleed hydraulic that would be a little more but nut rocket science.

Finally I really do fine with standard rim brakes but seems the future is only in disk. I can only see a downside to rim brakes in going down long mountains and heating. Rain would make them better too. Could all be completely overblown too?

"I do fine with rim brakes but I'm getting disc" is a very common meme
these days!

I've gone down mountains with rim brakes and heavy loads. I was aware of
the potential problem and was careful about it, but I never had that
problem. For people riding mountain bikes in mud or (like Jay) commuting
in six months of rain, discs make sense. For others, not so much, IMO.

I have only a tiny bit of experience working on discs, so I'm not
qualified to comment on hydro vs. cable, etc. My only advice is to buy
extra pads early (maybe on sale?) and carry one set when you ride.

I'd worry, perhaps needlessly, about someday being told "Oh, you need
pads for an Acme 1100-Z disc brake? Dude, that's SO unfashionable! They
stopped making pads for that one five years ago!"

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 15th 20, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 11:01:35 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Hé, Frank what took you so long? I'm a little disappointed.

Lou
Old June 15th 20, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 4:34:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

This was all very helpful. Now the question is how much do replacement pads cost. Personally I can see no reason to go to disk but in the rain would be the first reason. I live in Illinois so we are flat as a pancake. Not sure the longest descent in the mountains I have done but not done a lot of riding in mountains. One time around Bozeman Mt and I did fine on a rental bike. I would like to travel and do some riding in mountains. The steepest grade of any length I have gone down is about 6% for a mile and feather the brakes but have no idea how much you have to descend until brakes get hot.

One other item is taking the wheel off and on any more tricky or harder to line up. Seem they don't use quick release levers? I would hope it is easy to set up because would not want brake rub.

Deacon Mark
Old June 15th 20, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 2:53:58 PM UTC-7, Mark Cleary wrote:
[...]

Through axles have guides that line up the wheel, and the axle places the disc in the right orientation. You will not get brake rub if the calipers are properly installed unless you bend a disc. It takes five minutes to learn how to deal with through axles, if that long. It is faster to remove a front wheel with a through axle than a front wheel with lawyer lips and QR.

I never had a problem with brake fade except on a tandem with cantilever brakes -- after over heating and blowing up a front tire. On a single, I don't think it is an issue with rim brakes or discs -- at least not on a mile of 6%. I'd probably go with the disc on a super-steep decent, but some of that is avoiding hand fatigue.

-- Jay Beattie
Old June 15th 20, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/15/2020 5:53 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
[...]

The guy who was my department chairman until he retired once went to
Hawaii on vacation. He came back bragging about the bike ride he and his
wife did. The rental company took them to the top of some mountain and
they had miles and miles of downill to the pickup point.

This was probably 20 years ago. I'm sure the bikes had rim brakes. My
friend said nothing at all about the brakes, so I assume they were not a
problem.

One other item is taking the wheel off and on any more tricky or harder to line up. Seem they don't use quick release levers?

My neighbor's new bike has through axles. She fussed for several minutes
yesterday trying to get the axle back in. But as she says, she's not
very mechanical.

I would hope it is easy to set up because would not want brake rub.

As I've mentioned, one friend of me had a rubbing or noise problem on
his brand new bike. It took the shop three tries to fix whatever the
problem was with his rear disc. I've briefly ridden other disc brake
bikes that had rubbing. I remember one owner (a tourist passing through
here) saying the noise didn't bother him, he was used to it.

IMO, rim brakes are easier to diagnose. You can easily see what's
happening. Comparatively speaking, disc brakes are a black box.

But of course, most people do fine with them. It all depends on your
priorities and standards, and perhaps on your luck.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 16th 20, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I seem to recall some of the Hawaiian “ride down a volcano” bikes use
coaster brakes, which get rebuilt after nearly every ride.

Old June 16th 20, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 14:53:55 -0700 (PDT), Mark Cleary
wrote:

[...]

H, Frank what took you so long? I'm a little disappointed.

https://www.amazon.com/shimano-brake...ano+brake+pads

One other item is taking the wheel off and on any more tricky or harder to line up. Seem they don't use quick release levers? I would hope it is easy to set up because would not want brake rub.

Deacon Mark

--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 16th 20, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

wrote:

no idea how much you have to descend until brakes get hot.

West of Albany, New York, you could get bored coasting downhill.
I used to stop every mile or two and feel my rims, and never found
them the least bit warm.

But I never feathered the brakes. I would coast until I started
feeling a bit nervous, then brake hard until I was going a bit
slower than I preferred.

If the road was straight and the pavement was good -- neither was
common -- I wouldn't brake at all, but count on the following climb
to slow me down.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Disk Brakes Again Tom Kunich[_5_] Techniques 60 May 29th 19 04:02 AM
Disk vs. V-Brakes mike[_3_] Techniques 19 May 9th 07 03:46 AM
Disk brakes? Sticky Wicket Techniques 112 February 8th 07 04:27 PM
Disk brakes? Hot! ain Mountain Biking 20 May 5th 04 12:57 PM
Disk Brakes john Mountain Biking 4 January 22nd 04 01:44 AM