DOT Fluid

Old June 18th 20, 05:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default DOT Fluid

Someone cautioned that DOT brake fluid, in bicycle disk brakes, should
be changed annually.
Is this correct? A requirement of the disk makers? Or ?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 18th 20, 07:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 6:48:38 AM UTC+2, John B. wrote:
Someone cautioned that DOT brake fluid, in bicycle disk brakes, should
be changed annually.
Is this correct? A requirement of the disk makers? Or ?
--
cheers,

John B.

Never heard of that requirement. In my car is is changed every 2 years.

Lou

Lou
Old June 18th 20, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 18.06.2020 um 08:32 schrieb John B.:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 23:07:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 6:48:38 AM UTC+2, John B. wrote:
Someone cautioned that DOT brake fluid, in bicycle disk brakes, should
be changed annually.
Is this correct? A requirement of the disk makers? Or ?

Never heard of that requirement. In my car is is changed every 2 years.

Somebody here, talking about bicycle disk brakes mentioned that DOT
liquid must be changed annually while mineral oil did not require
this.

As the DOT brake oil in my pickup truck has been there for probably 20
years without being changed I asked the question.

Outch. DOT brake fluid (as opposed to mineral oil) is strongly
hygroscopic, i.e. it absorbs water, changing it properties
significantly. Therefore, DOT brake fluid must be changed regularly; in
Europe, the age of brake fluid is one of the safety checks that need to
be documented every 2 years, or the car will be taken out of service.
If your truck was 40 years old instead of 20, it might still have the
old mineral oil that doesn't need changing

In cars and motorbikes, the exchange interval is every two years
irrespective of mileage. Possibly, in bicycles it has to be changed
more often due to the smaller brake fluid container, or possibly the
bike manufacturers are just more cautios if they stipulate annual change.

Given that bicycles have significantly lower problems with overheating,
mineral oil seems more appropriate than DOT fluid for bicycle brakes.

Rolf
Old June 18th 20, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 09:22:03 +0200, Rolf Mantel
wrote:

[...]

While I don't doubt you I have never, in the 70 years or so that I've
been fooling about with motor vehicles heard of anyone changing brake
fluid per some schedule and I just checked the Honda HR-V service
manual and there is no mention of changing the brake fluid.

It must be a European thing.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 18th 20, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I do regularly every spring.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 19th 20, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I didn't change the brake fluid on our previous car. I believe that's
why I had to eventually replace a sticking front brake caliper.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 19th 20, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 05:53:05 +0700, John B. wrote:

While I don't doubt you I have never, in the 70 years or so that I've
been fooling about with motor vehicles heard of anyone changing brake
fluid per some schedule and I just checked the Honda HR-V service manual
and there is no mention of changing the brake fluid.

It must be a European thing.

Err, did you ever have it serviced under one of those routine services
based on distance and time?

Whilst I've never performed a change, I've always found it easier on my
time to just pay the local garage, in the past and the dealer now, to
carry out these services and some of them have invoiced brake fluid.

Old June 19th 20, 07:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

That's odd.

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...honda-2016-crv

Implies every 2 or 3 years. Here the same

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-of...1420680336417/

It must be a silicone fluid. My CBR will not manage 4 years without
clutch and brake fluid changes, I've tried it and what comes out isn't
worth ****, and I tried it because of noticeable brake performance
degradation.

Old June 19th 20, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/18/2020 3:53 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

While I don't doubt you I have never, in the 70 years or so that I've
been fooling about with motor vehicles heard of anyone changing brake
fluid per some schedule and I just checked the Honda HR-V service
manual and there is no mention of changing the brake fluid.

It must be a European thing.

A repair shop will normally change the brake fluid when they replace
brake pads, it's not routine maintenance, it's replacing a wear item
(both the pads and the fluid). If you do the brake jobs yourself you may
not have known that it was a good idea to change the fluid.

Fluid trainers Rick Roof Marketplace 1 November 20th 05 04:56 PM
Gas as cleaning fluid? Zog The Undeniable Techniques 78 April 14th 05 10:14 PM
Fluid vs Mag Trainer? Sarotherodon General 3 February 25th 05 09:07 PM
Fluid trainers available in Aus Brad Hubbard Australia 2 October 13th 04 12:01 AM
CycleOps Fluid 2TT? Fotonature General 1 August 1st 04 09:15 PM