Do bicycles and cars mix?

Old December 11th 03, 07:07 PM
Steven M. O'Neill

Default Plumbing and Wiring

George Conklin wrote:
"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote in message
George Conklin wrote:
"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote in message
Matthew Russotto wrote:
In article , Jym Dyer
wrote:
By far the most expensive maintenance of underground
utilities is in Manhattan, due to underground congestion.

It's a U-shaped curve where moderate density is the sweet
spot.

=v= That certainly makes sense.

Sunny Ladd's study found this for overall taxes too.

=v= So we're all in agreement then: moderate density. Not
Manhattan, not suburban sprawl.

What you call "suburban sprawl" _is_ moderate density.

Queens is moderate density.

South Bronx is the role model for density.

At least it's starting to recover from the attempt to destroy it
with sprawl.

NYC creates is own problems. The population in the USA is not sprawled:
it is overconcentrated because cities like NYC have destroyed the rural
economy.

That's an interesting theory. How has NYC destroyed the rural
economy?

--
Steven O'Neill
www.bridgetolls.org
Old December 11th 03, 08:11 PM
Brent P

Default Do bicycles and cars mix? (Sierra Club and Sprawl)

In article .net, George Conklin wrote:

"Brent P" wrote in message
In article .net, George

Conklin wrote:

No one can use your land without your permission. So why did you

give
permission?

Are you one of those naive people who thinks because there is
a law against it, people automatically don't do it? There are alot
of people who simply do not respect the rights of others and could
care less about getting permission. Unless there is somebody with
a gun to stop them they're just going to do it.

You have a perfect right to stop others from using your property. I
suggest you stop being asleep and run your own life.

I think you are *WAY* behind with regards to how many rights we've
lost. Now lets say someone who owns some land actually catches the
person riding the ATV on it in the act rather than just finding the
muddy ruts later. He askes even demands that the guy leave. He refuses
and tells the land owner to **** off. How is the land owner going to
stop him (the atv rider)? Use a gun? Guess who'll go to jail? It
won't be the guy on the ATV. Will the cops bother? Maybe, it depends
on the local PD. But the owner is really powerless unless he wants
to risk going to prison. (not to mention countless firearms laws
that may get him charged just for having a one)

Old December 12th 03, 02:54 AM
DTJ

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:08:21 -0400, "Clark F. Morris, Jr."
wrote:

The Sierra Club does not like people using backcountry areas. They
support animals, not human animals.

As one human living in the country, I don't want ATV's and motorcycles
fouling my water supply and eroding my land. These comments are based
on viewing the results of use on my land. Backwoods motorcycling is not
benign. Both motorcycles and ATV's can mess up agricultural land.
Hikers normally aren't that much of a problem.

That is a bull**** argument. I don't like it either, but that is
trespassing. People using public land is a different issue.

Keep in mind that I am against ATVs and motorcycles too. But my views
are not what we make laws by.
Old December 12th 03, 06:43 AM
Dane Jackson

Default Do bicycles and cars mix?

In rec.bicycles.soc RJ wrote:
Claire Petersky wrote:

OK, since you're so worked up about sweat.

sneering rant deleted

Are you this obnoxious in real life?

Words fail
Buildings tumble
The ground opens wide
Light beams down from heaven
She stands before my eyes

She's actual size, but she seems much bigger to me
Squares may look distant in her rear view mirror but they're actual size
As she cycles away

Big men
Often tremble
As they step aside
I thought I was big once
She changed my mind

She's actual size, but she seems much bigger to me.
I've never known anybody like her, she's actual size
Nationwide, believe

====

Wow. If you thought Claire's post was obnoxious you must spend a
horrendous amount of your life in a perpetual state of flibberty-
gibbertery. Sorry to hear it.

Anyway, I wouldn't call it obnoxiouness in any case. Maybe a mild case
of "A deplorable excess of personality". Heh.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Absolutely nothing should be concluded from these figures except that
Old December 12th 03, 06:47 AM

In alt.planning.urban Brent P wrote:
: In article . net, George Conklin wrote:
:
: "Brent P" wrote in message
: news:eaJAb.450054$HS4.3520969@attbi_s01...
: In article . net, George
: Conklin wrote:
:
: Today banks consider the life of a new house to be 50-60 years.
:
: Maybe a vinyl clad twig construction.

Is this discussion really relevant to driving and cycling? Mind
your crossposting, people.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/

Old December 12th 03, 06:56 AM

In alt.planning.urban Bobby wrote:

: I exclusively use a bicycle to transport groceries for 4 people. It not a
: problem at all - 2 trips a week. There are 4 grocery stores within 2 miles,
: and my trailer
: and panniers allow me to carry what fits in a large filled grocery cart.

The legal cargo limit for a bicycle is 50 kg in Finland, 100 kg
for tricycles. There are also commercially available tricycles
that can take up to 500 lbs of cargo. Then you can add a trailer
to that... 50 kg is a lot of groceries.

Follow-up set appropriately, again...

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/

Old December 12th 03, 01:51 PM
Clark F. Morris, Jr.

Default Off road access to private land was Do bicycles and cars mix?(Sierra Club and Sprawl)

George Conklin wrote:
"Clark F. Morris, Jr." wrote in message

George Conklin wrote:

snip

The Sierra Club does not like people using backcountry areas. They
support animals, not human animals.

As one human living in the country, I don't want ATV's and motorcycles
fouling my water supply and eroding my land. These comments are based
on viewing the results of use on my land.

No one can use your land without your permission. So why did you give
permission?

Backwoods motorcycling is not

benign. Both motorcycles and ATV's can mess up agricultural land.
Hikers normally aren't that much of a problem.

Even hikers don't use your land unless you want them to.

If there is any large amount of land, unless you post it and probably
fence it people will trespass or otherwise use it without permission.
This is aggravated by laws in some provinces (such as Nova Scotia) and
states for access to streams and bodies of water to the general public
for fishing. The trespass problem is also aggravated by unwillingness
to enforce trespass laws in many jurisdictions. Fences don't always
work because some people will view them as impediments to be breached.
Just ask any railroad or highway department.

Old December 12th 03, 04:56 PM
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Jim Yanik wrote:

Doesn't "kcalories" mean KILOcalories? So,1700 kcal would be 1,700,000
calories;that would be SOME meal from Taco Bell.And cost a lot more than
$4.50 USD.

Especially in the US, calory is often used where kilocalory is meant.
This can be very confusing. Use standard units (Joule) instead.

To explain: 1 cal is the energy required to heat 1 l of water by 1
degree Celsius, and is equivalent to 4.18 J (N*m). That is a very small
amount of energy. An average male needs about 12,000 kJ/d (about 2900
kcal), a female 8800 kJ/d (2100 kcal). A large meal provides about
1500-2000 kJ (350-500 kcal).
Old December 12th 03, 05:08 PM

In rec.bicycles.soc Max wrote:

: ...and the number one reason not to cyclecommute ...

: 1. You Can't Live Next To The Walmart!

You got that reversed: Marts are everywhere, but it's still better
to live 20 miles away and drive it.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/