Groupsets

Old June 8th 20, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Groupsets

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 3:38:41 PM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
On 6/7/2020 11:42 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 7 June 2020 14:25:13 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/7/2020 1:14 PM, Mark J. wrote:
On 6/7/2020 11:05 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/7/2020 9:50 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 7 June 2020 10:43:20 UTC-4,
 wrote:
Op zondag 7 juni 2020 16:35:52 UTC+2 schreef Frank
Krygowski:
On 6/7/2020 10:17 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 7 June 2020 06:35:42 UTC-4, Wolfgang
Strobl wrote:
Snipped
The owner of a bicycle shop, whom I consulted for
getting a replacement
shifter tried to convince me to use a an older
shifter, he called them
"Wäscheleinenschalthebel", clotheeslines shifter,
because these didn't
have this - to him - well known reliability
problem. For me, this
wasn't an option, because I very much rely on my
large handle bar bag.

My wife rides a Scott bicycle with the older 105 3x10
version of the
group, which actually has these clotheslines.

https://www.mystrobl.de/ws/pic/fahrrad/scott.png

She actually would like to have a decent handlebar
bag, too, but alas,
that's not possible her. On the positive side, those
shifters work
flawlessly, so far.
Snipped

I've seen people using those exposed "clothesline"
shifter cable housings to clip their route crib sheets
to. they put the sheets inside a clear plastic cover
and then use a couple of binder clips to clip them to
those cable housings.

Some other people apparently have use the noodles from
V-brakes to direct those cable housings away from
their handlebar bag.

https://thecrazyrandonneur.wordpress...-sti-shifters/

A good tip, I think. I've seen people cram a small
handlebar bag in
there by just letting those "clothesline" cables flex
out of the way.
The noodles look much more elegant.

--
- Frank Krygowski

If you still see the clotheslines models is prove of the
reliability of STI.

Lou

I find it to be quite interesting that Campagnolo had
their Ergo shifter cable routed under the handlebar
tape/wrap LONG before Shimano did.

Cheers

Ergos have an undocumented (probably unintended as well)
design feature;Â The gear wire wraps on its capstan in a
different plane from STi so although they do fail, they
fail less often and the cable stumps don't jam inside. As
Ergo riders have discovered, the first frays of a gear
wire stick through the rubber cover into the rider's palm,
just enough to notice, before the wire breaks altogether.

Agree entirely with the Ergo description. I have felt the
"Ergo prick in the palm" [restrain your dirty minds!] many
times over 20 years using Ergo, but I never knew it was a
design feature.

Mark J.

I suspect that was not intended, but you have to admit you'd
not think about gear wire replacement otherwise.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

The other thing I liked about my 2001 (-speed Mirage Ergos was that they could be rebuilt. In fact you could rebuild them as either 8-speed, 9-speed or 10-speed. IIRC the kit was $50.00

Cheers

Exactly. I've rebuilt Campy levers 4-5 times (20+ years and I shift a
LOT). I'm tolerating the Shimanos that came on my gravel bike a lot
more, though, than I did the ones on my Domane - those long since
swapped for Campy. Maybe I /can/ store two distinct shift motions in my
subconscious - subconscious for when the brain goes on holiday toward
the top of long killer climbs.

Campy's newer models, at least the mid-range, appear to be
non-rebuildable. It would be great if they simply don't /need/ it. I'm
not clear on the consensus around recent Shimano brifters. I read fewer
complaints about scrapped, malfunctioning and non-repairable Shimano
brifters these days than, say, ten years ago.

Mark "shifts two ways?" J.

I am told by my friend that Record 12 speed are not rebuildable. I think 10 and below are rebuildable, but Andrew can confirm.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 8th 20, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/7/2020 2:12 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/7/2020 10:09 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 5:04:30 PM UTC+2, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 7 June 2020 10:53:16 UTC-4, jbeattieÂ* wrote:
On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 3:35:42 AM UTC-7, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
Am Fri, 5 Jun 2020 21:31:26 -0400 schrieb Frank Krygowski
:

On 6/5/2020 7:32 PM, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:

I own and ride a road bike equipped with a an Ultegra 3x10 group
from
2010 (6703, AFAIR) and I'm quite happy with it.Â* Changing gears ist
easy, fast and works like a charm. Except when it it doesn't.
Problem
is, the construction is a mechanical nightmare. I bought it
specifically
because both cables (bowden cable?), both those for braking and
those
for changing gears are routed along the handle bar, so that there is
enough space between the handles to moutn a large Ortlieb
handlebar bag.
Have look at
https://pluspora.com/posts/296e60b0625701384a38005056264835, fifth
picture or
https://www.mystrobl.de/ws/pic/fahrrad/20200416/DSC01809.jpg

Changing the inner cable is difficult, when one of the wires is
already
broken. Somehow I damaged an tiny spring while removing the old
cable.
In consequence, the whole expensive grip had to be replaced.

But mainly, I'd really like to get rid of all those arkwardly routed
cables, which break much to often.

Interesting. I have always used large handlebar bags on (almost) all
bikes.

So do I.

197x ff: https://www.mystrobl.de/ws/pic/fahrrad/loire1.jpg
1996-2010: https://www.mystrobl.de/ws/pic/fahrrad/IMG-2461.JPG

Gadzooks. No offense, but that last photo looks like a dumpster find
-- except for the undoubtedly expensive hydro rim brakes. What do
you use for a fun, fast ride? I hope you at least remove the kickstand.

-- Jay Beattie.

Wolfgang Strobl, in regards to IMG_2461, how do you stay on t hat
saddle? Don't your arms get sore?

Cheers

That puzzles me too.

Lou

Well and truly, people like what they like. Inexplicably.

I'm noting who is being tolerant of others' choices and who is not.

When I saw Wolfgang's photo, I thought "Hmm. His handlebar bag is
tilted. Mine are level. Looks like that bike has done some real
traveling! Oh, he's got a kickstand like my friend Jim. Hmm, what's that
headlight? Wow, he tilts his saddle a lot." Then I clicked away.

Not a bit of that was deprecatory. But others' reflex seemed to be "You
should ride what I ride!"

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 8th 20, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On Sunday, 7 June 2020 06:35:42 UTC-4, Wolfgang StroblÂ* wrote:
Snipped
The owner of a bicycle shop, whom I consulted for getting a
replacement
shifter tried to convince me to use a an older shifter, he called
them
"Wäscheleinenschalthebel", clotheeslines shifter, because these
didn't
have this - to him - well known reliability problem.Â* For me, this
[...]

That same "design feature" ;-) is built into my bar end shifters. I've
made use of it several times.

My maintenance doesn't tend toward "replace things on schedule." It's
more "if it ain't almost broke, don't fix it."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 8th 20, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/7/2020 10:43 AM, wrote:
[...]

Or, you're seeing a bike that hasn't been ridden much since 2003. That's
the case for the one of those I see most.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 8th 20, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/7/2020 6:38 PM, Mark J. wrote:

Exactly.Â* I've rebuilt Campy levers 4-5 times (20+ years and I shift a
LOT).Â* I'm tolerating the Shimanos that came on my gravel bike a lot
more, though, than I did the ones on my Domane - those long since
swapped for Campy.Â* Maybe I /can/ store two distinct shift motions in my
subconscious - subconscious for when the brain goes on holiday toward
the top of long killer climbs.

Speaking of two distinct shift motions, last week I had my first test
ride on a Sram setup, with their oddball shift setup - push a little for
higher, push a lot for lower gears.

In reading about it, I thought it might be tricky to get used to, but it
immediately seemed quite natural to me.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 8th 20, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Strobl wrote:
[...]

Yes that's right. Second version Ergo (1998~2007) are the
peak of serviceability. Prior can't go Ten and 2006 up are
much lighter due to metal extraction in the design process.

That said, late model Ergos are indeed really light and the
replacement body is not too expensive, very available and
swap out quickly.

For those who care about taxonomy, original Ergo are 'pointy
top', second are 'round top'. The various 2006-up models
curve inward when viewed from above

Old June 8th 20, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Strobl wrote:
[...]

I did a "consult" for a friend's setup last year; recent Athena 10 I
think, or some similar mid-range model. The lever was *completely*
different on the exterior from the Chorus/Centaur models of ~2005.
IIRC, the Athenas I looked at were "Powershift" as compared to
"Ultrashift." I thought I read at that time that Powershift isn't
rebuildable.

Wouldn't surprise me if the 12s aren't rebuildable either, or maybe it's
all the newer Campy stuff. Designs change. Sometimes for the better,
we'll see about this one.

Mark J.
Old June 8th 20, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 6/6/20 1:54 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

What matters is total gear range for a given task or terrain. Minimizing
percent change between gears is far, far less critical. But that's what
the industry has been selling for a long time.

That's why I find it frustrating to ride my gravel bike at times on the
road compared to my road bike. The percent change between gears on the
gravel bike in the vicinity of gearing that I want to use on the road is
bigger than on my road bike and consequently I cannot find a gear that
is close to right.

--
JS
Old June 8th 20, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/7/2020 9:28 PM, James wrote:
On 6/6/20 1:54 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

What matters is total gear range for a given task or terrain.
Minimizing percent change between gears is far, far less critical. But
that's what the industry has been selling for a long time.

That's why I find it frustrating to ride my gravel bike at times on the
road compared to my road bike.Â* The percent change between gears on the
gravel bike in the vicinity of gearing that I want to use on the road is
bigger than on my road bike and consequently I cannot find a gear that
is close to right.

I think it's obvious that people have different tolerances for that.
Perhaps it's due in part to their habitual levels of exertion - that is,
faster people are more likely to demand exactly the right gear ratio.

But then there's my fast friend who seldom shifts her gears...

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 8th 20, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 5:10:26 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/7/2020 2:12 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/7/2020 10:09 AM, wrote:
[...]

I thought it looked like a dirty beater. I could hear the thing rattle, and the chain rings look like they're shark-toothed. Tape is shot, rear fender broken, and wash the thing. Even my commuter is in better shape, and I'm known for deferred maintenance. If he just got back from a trans-Siberia ride, I get it, but if that is just a riding around bike, Lou needs to give him some tips.

And for just riding around, do you really have a handlebar bag that big? You could put two Chihuahuas in there.

-- Jay Beattie.

Groupsets sam[_9_] Racing 5 March 24th 11 07:08 PM
Groupsets Ryan Cousineau Racing 0 March 21st 11 05:56 PM
Groupsets Ryan Cousineau Racing 7 March 21st 11 10:21 AM
Groupsets Ryan Cousineau Racing 0 March 19th 11 06:13 PM
Shimano groupsets Chris Walters UK 8 April 26th 04 08:33 PM