grrr....stupid tire!

Old September 10th 03, 01:19 AM
Luigi de Guzman

Default grrr....stupid tire!

a quick trip to the LBS this morning yielded some grease, a 7-speed
freewheel, a pedal wrench. also hope that the raleigh would soon be
riding again.

screwed the freewheel onto the new rear wheel without a hitch, put new
rim tape on, mounted the tube.

The outer casing was another story. this has got to be the hardest
thing I've done. I've tried and tried and tried and yet the tire
won't mount.

Immediatly I checked for the bonehead error to see if I had
accidentally been trying to mount a 700c tire onto a 27" wheel. No,
the wheel was definitely 700c. The only difference I can possibly
think of is that the rim is slightly wider (am I imagining it?) than
the rim I was replacing. would this be enough to make it so hard to
mount the tire?

Any tips (other than the application of more brute force) on how to
get this tire onto the rim? my thumbs are raw from pushing and I
haven't even been able to seat one bead, fully, yet!

-Luigi
wrenching suspended for the day due to frustration. and dinner.

but the aurora has nifty new MKS platform pedals now, so that's good.
Old September 10th 03, 02:26 AM
Kenny Lee

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

Any tips (other than the application of more brute force) on how to
get this tire onto the rim? my thumbs are raw from pushing and I
haven't even been able to seat one bead, fully, yet!

-Luigi
wrenching suspended for the day due to frustration. and dinner.

but the aurora has nifty new MKS platform pedals now, so that's good.

Use the tire levers.

Kenny Lee

Old September 10th 03, 03:33 AM
Dave Rut

The reply from Michael (below) is a very good idea. I have owned a bicycle
store for over 30 years. And have had to his suggestion quite often.
Almost always with 700C tires.

"Michael" wrote in message
Check and make sure you didn't put too much air in the tube to hold it in
place while mounting the tire. I had a similar problem last Sunday.

After
I got the first side of the tire on the rim, I had to let most of the air
out of the tube and was finally able to get the rest of it on.

Old September 10th 03, 09:38 AM
Raoul Duke

"Kevan Smith" /\/\ wrote in message

Lube up the rim with a little dish soap.

Which works better, liquid or powder?

Dave

Old September 10th 03, 02:36 PM
Pbwalther

I had this problem frequently when I rode MA 40 rims. Seems that a lot of
standard 700 c tires did not want to go on, but with enough profanities and the
judicious use of tire irons, I was always able to get them on. The soap idea
sounds good. But don't forget the profanities!
Old September 11th 03, 10:44 AM
Raoul Duke

"Kevan Smith" /\/\ wrote in message

Some sort of colloidal suspension.

Thank you. Cuz I was having NO luck with that damn powder.

Dave

Old September 13th 03, 02:58 AM
Andrew Price

"Kevan Smith" /\/\ wrote in message

Which works better, liquid or powder?

a quick wipe of the inner sidewall with Armour all or similar product works
wonders if you have the bead centered in the middle of the rim.

best, Andrew