Insurance / bikes on racks

Old June 19th 05, 10:54 PM
Telford

Default Insurance / bikes on racks

Can you tell me how auto insurance would work out for
bikes that are on car racks and gets damaged from accident?
Do you have to request some special clause from the
insurance company in order to have coverage?

Thank You.

Old June 20th 05, 12:06 AM
mark

"Telford" wrote ...
Can you tell me how auto insurance would work out for
bikes that are on car racks and gets damaged from accident?
Do you have to request some special clause from the
insurance company in order to have coverage?

Thank You.

If the accident was the other person's fault, and if the other person
carries liability insurance as the law requires, then that person's
liability (3rd party?) insurance should pay for your bike, your car, and
anything and everyone damaged in the accident.

If the accident was your fault or a single vehicle accident, your collision
coverage is probably only going to cover damage to your car. Lots of
cyclists rely on homeowner's or renter's insurance to cover their bicycle.
If the bike is really expensive it might not hurt to have photographs,
receipts, and a good written description of your bike to back up your claim.
Like the rest of the world, lots of insurance people think a bicycle is
something you buy at Wal-Mart for $100.

It sounds like you should talk to your insurance person about just what your
auto insurance and other insurance covers.
--
mark

Old June 20th 05, 12:11 AM
Claire Petersky

Telford wrote in message ...
Can you tell me how auto insurance would work out for
bikes that are on car racks and gets damaged from accident?
Do you have to request some special clause from the
insurance company in order to have coverage?

When my husband drove the car into the garage with the bike on top, it
punctured the roof of the car as well as damaged the bike. The whole thing
was covered under our car insurance without any special riders or clauses.

If the garage had been damaged, that would have been under our homeowner's
insurance, instead.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Old June 20th 05, 12:53 AM
Joe S.

"Telford" wrote in message
Can you tell me how auto insurance would work out for
bikes that are on car racks and gets damaged from accident?
Do you have to request some special clause from the
insurance company in order to have coverage?

Thank You.

Check with your insurance agent. Damage to the bike no matter how it occurs
probably is covered under your homeowner's or renter's policy.

You need to ask the agent if there are limits on the coverage, especially if
you have a bike that costs over $1,000.00. A lot of policies have limits
that apply per item and per occurrence for expensive stuff. For example,
let's say you have a ring worth $5,000.00 and 10 rings worth $200.00 each.
Assume your homeowner's policy has theft coverage that limits payment on
jewelry to $2,000.00 per item, $5,000.00 per occurrence. All your jewelry
is stolen, total $5,000 + (10 x $200) = $7,000 loss. You will get only
$5,000 from the insurance company because that's all they pay for one
occurrence. Now, assume only the $5,000 ring is stolen. You'll get only
$2,000 because the limit is $2,000 per item.

And don't forget all the expensive extras you put on the bike. Support
everything with receipts or with a catalog or an estimate from a bike shop.

--

-----
Joe S.

Old June 20th 05, 05:29 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Joe S." Check with your insurance agent. Damage to the bike no matter how
it occurs probably is covered under your homeowner's or renter's policy.
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It is implausible to me that your auto insurance would cover things that the
insurance company does not know about. I often go riding with two friends,
and carry three bikes on top of the car. This is a risk that AAA os not
going to pick up just to be nice. When my truck was rear-ended, I did not
get covered for the camper shell, until I brought in the policy and showed
AAA that I had paid for this coverage.

I'm not going to sweat it, because I do not believe in carrying insurance to
cover things I can afford to risk myself.

Old June 20th 05, 02:54 PM
Claire Petersky

Leo Lichtman wrote in message ...

I'm not going to sweat it, because I do not believe in carrying insurance

cover things I can afford to risk myself.

When my husband ran my bike into the garage, the damage to the bike was
within the budget. However, the bike rack got pushed up in the front, and
consequently down in the back, like a see-saw, punching a hole in the roof
of the car. The cost of replacing the rack and fixing the car was over
$3,000. That's what you have the insurance for, not for the replacement of
the headset and the fork.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Design News article about bikes [email protected] Techniques 8 January 14th 05 01:07 PM
Free Bikes Instead of School Bus (long) [Not Responding] UK 18 May 17th 04 06:44 AM
"Road" bikes Chris Zacho The Wheelman Techniques 8 April 5th 04 10:37 PM
rear hitch bike rack curt General 12 March 18th 04 09:55 PM
Mutant Road Bikes Dave Mayer Techniques 52 March 11th 04 06:45 AM