GUILTY! SMU prof to be sentenced

Old June 17th 05, 08:55 AM
Bill Baka

Tom Keats wrote:
In article .com,
"Bob" writes:

Without independent witnesses and the testimony of the
investigating police officer that the driver admitted to him on the
scene that she had *intended* to "tap" the cyclist it could very well
have been another "he said, she said" case.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Hi Bob, I think you (and others) might enjoy this site:

http://www.baitcar.com

The local constabulary around Greater Vancouver has been
setting up these "bait cars" to nab car thieves. The
cars are equipped with video recording equipment and
electronics to remotely disable the engine, etc. The
above site has a bunch of videos of car thieves caught
in the act. There's a particularly scary one of a guy
driving recklessly while tweeking on crystal meth.

Apparently convictions and sentences have remarkably
improved because of the evidence provided by the
bait car program.

I hear they're now also using bait motorcycles, bait
ATVs and bait boats. No bait bicycles yet.

cheers,
Tom

I'm for the cops on this one, but doesn't that come under the legal
loophole of entrapment? I have had 3 cars, 3 motorcycles, and 2 bicycles
stolen so I am all for it.
Bill Baka
Old June 17th 05, 09:14 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Bill Baka writes:

I'm for the cops on this one, but doesn't that come under the legal
loophole of entrapment?

No, the thieves randomly select the bait cars without
any overt enticement, in the course of their usual
criminal activities. They just have the misfortune
of picking the wrong car. I'm pretty certain the
entrapment issue and all sorts of other considerations
as well would have been thoroughly covered when the
program was designed.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old June 17th 05, 03:21 PM
Brian Huntley

Tom Keats wrote:
[snip]
I hear they're now also using bait motorcycles, bait
ATVs and bait boats. No bait bicycles yet.

Toronto police used some bait bikes a few years ago. They'd lean them
up against an urbane wall and walk away... with the camera van right
there. They claimed the average time until the bikes were stolen was 15
seconds, but I'd rather dubious. I also never heard of any direct
convictions, but understand they tumbled out a few outstanding
warrents, etc.

It seemed more like a PR stunt and a good 'lock your bike' campaign to
me.

Old June 17th 05, 05:23 PM
Roger Zoul

Bob wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::
::: I take it you're a practicing lawyer, right?
::
:: That's a low blow. g IANAL, just a cop. It's my job to know
:: criminal law because it's hard to make *good* arrests without
:: knowing what is and is not a crime.

Sorry, wasn't trying to hit low. My only point is that, as you surely know,
there is an "inside" good-ole boy network that will likely work to prevent
her from losing that license, especially if she's not actively practicing,
but teaching.

Old June 17th 05, 05:28 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Brian Huntley wrote:

Tom Keats wrote:
[snip]
I hear they're now also using bait motorcycles, bait
ATVs and bait boats. No bait bicycles yet.

Toronto police used some bait bikes a few years ago. They'd lean them
up against an urbane wall and walk away... with the camera van right
there. They claimed the average time until the bikes were stolen was 15
seconds, but I'd rather dubious.

I'm a bit dubious as well, although I remember reading a story in Toronto a
number of years back of someone having a bike stolen that they'd just paid
for -- before they even left the shop!

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber
Old June 19th 05, 06:08 PM
booboo

In closing arguments, attorney Mike Gibson said the incident was
nothing more than an accident and disputed the argument that Ms.
Dolkart's car was a deadly weapon. He said the victim's account of the
collision was "exaggerated and full of mistakes."

"If distracted driving was a crime, we'd have to build five courthouses
because people do it every day," he said.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that a LAWYER was arguing that
there is such a thing as an ACCIDENT! If I had been in the jury I
would not have been able to contain my laughter when THAT statement
was made.

These parasites make their livings denying that there is such a thing
as an ACCIDENT.

F**k lawyers! May they all rot in hell.

Now, when does the civil suit go to trial?
Old June 20th 05, 10:28 AM
Maggie

booboo wrote:

F**k lawyers! May they all rot in hell.