Disc Brakes on Touring Bikes

Old July 21st 03, 02:23 AM
Pheonix Ribbon

Default Disc Brakes on Touring Bikes

I am in the process of building a touring bike that will last me the
ages. I have found my frame (www.vanguard.com). It has housings for
both disc and v-brakes. Now, I know that it is best to stick to simple
brakes when out in the middle of nowhere, and I shall be using
v-brakes when I'm touring down Europe. But would still like to knwo if
it is possible to find/build-easily a drop handle lever that will be
able to operate a set of disc brakes.

Any ideas?

As we are on subject, if anyone can recommend a good set of
fully-loaded touring forks, then please divulge.

Many thanks,

Lief
Old July 21st 03, 02:32 AM
cyclist101

Pheonix Ribbon wrote:
I am in the process of building a touring bike that will last me the
ages. I have found my frame (www.vanguard.com). It has housings for

That link is for Vanguard Mutual Funds. I already knew they have great
index funds, but I didn't know they also sell frames. :-)

both disc and v-brakes. Now, I know that it is best to stick to simple
brakes when out in the middle of nowhere, and I shall be using
v-brakes when I'm touring down Europe. But would still like to knwo if
it is possible to find/build-easily a drop handle lever that will be
able to operate a set of disc brakes.

Any ideas?

I only use cantilevers on my touring bike. I wouldn't trust v-brakes
fully loaded for distances. Maybe others would, but I wouldn't.

As we are on subject, if anyone can recommend a good set of
fully-loaded touring forks, then please divulge.

Contact a local frame-builder or wherever you got your frame. Make sure
you get CrMo if you're going fully-loaded.

Old July 21st 03, 02:46 AM
Michael Dart

"Pheonix Ribbon" wrote in message
om...
I am in the process of building a touring bike that will last me the
ages. I have found my frame (www.vanguard.com). It has housings for
both disc and v-brakes. Now, I know that it is best to stick to simple
brakes when out in the middle of nowhere, and I shall be using
v-brakes when I'm touring down Europe. But would still like to knwo if
it is possible to find/build-easily a drop handle lever that will be
able to operate a set of disc brakes.

Any ideas?

Avid Mechanical ball bearing disc brakes are then next best thing to
hydraulic discs and better than V's. They make a version for road bikes.
They are quite simple and probably easier to set up and maintain than V's or
Canti's. I have hydraulic disc brakes on all my mountain bikes and will
never go back to V's except for maybe a beach cruiser.

As we are on subject, if anyone can recommend a good set of
fully-loaded touring forks, then please divulge.

Sorry can't help there.

Mike

Old July 21st 03, 02:50 AM
Jon Bond

"Pheonix Ribbon" wrote in message
om...
I am in the process of building a touring bike that will last me the
ages. I have found my frame (www.vanguard.com). It has housings for
both disc and v-brakes. Now, I know that it is best to stick to simple
brakes when out in the middle of nowhere, and I shall be using
v-brakes when I'm touring down Europe. But would still like to knwo if
it is possible to find/build-easily a drop handle lever that will be
able to operate a set of disc brakes.

Any ideas?

As we are on subject, if anyone can recommend a good set of
fully-loaded touring forks, then please divulge.

Many thanks,

Lief

Avid has cable actuated disc brakes that are designed for road bikes - which
includes taking into account normal roadie lever cable pull. Not hydraulic,
but cables are easy to find, whereas Shimano Mineral Oil or DOT 5.1 can be a
bit difficult to find in, say, Cambodia. Just bring an extra set of pads or
two, just in case - but they last a pretty damn long time.

Jon Bond

Old July 21st 03, 07:01 AM
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee

I only use cantilevers on my touring bike. I wouldn't trust v-brakes
fully loaded for distances. Maybe others would, but I wouldn't.

I would.
I've toured with Vs with no problem.
Usually tour with cantilever.
I've never had any problem with V-brakes and have had plenty with
cantilevers.

Old July 21st 03, 10:23 AM
gmaker

Pheonix Ribbon wrote:

I am in the process of building a touring bike that will last me the
ages. I have found my frame (www.vanguard.com). It has housings for
both disc and v-brakes. Now, I know that it is best to stick to simple
brakes when out in the middle of nowhere, and I shall be using
v-brakes when I'm touring down Europe. But would still like to knwo if
it is possible to find/build-easily a drop handle lever that will be
able to operate a set of disc brakes.

I was going to do this and bought the pieces.
However I discovered disk stuff is rugged and incredibly heavy.
Just one caliper Hayes MX-1 is 250 grams.
When touring I would rather this weight on board be something more useful
so will not be fitting them.

Old July 21st 03, 01:46 PM
M-Gineering import & framebouw

gmaker wrote:

Pheonix Ribbon wrote:

I am in the process of building a touring bike that will last me the
ages. I have found my frame (www.vanguard.com). It has housings for
both disc and v-brakes. Now, I know that it is best to stick to simple
brakes when out in the middle of nowhere, and I shall be using
v-brakes when I'm touring down Europe. But would still like to knwo if
it is possible to find/build-easily a drop handle lever that will be
able to operate a set of disc brakes.

I was going to do this and bought the pieces.
However I discovered disk stuff is rugged and incredibly heavy.
Just one caliper Hayes MX-1 is 250 grams.
When touring I would rather this weight on board be something more useful
so will not be fitting them.

diacompe 287V levers work with V-brakes, so probably with a V-brake
lever compatible mechanical diskbrake too.
--
Marten
Old July 21st 03, 03:37 PM
Steve Shapiro

(Pheonix Ribbon) wrote in message . com...
I am in the process of building a touring bike that will last me the
ages. I have found my frame (
www.vanguard.com). It has housings for
both disc and v-brakes. Now, I know that it is best to stick to simple
brakes when out in the middle of nowhere, and I shall be using
v-brakes when I'm touring down Europe. But would still like to knwo if
it is possible to find/build-easily a drop handle lever that will be
able to operate a set of disc brakes.

Any ideas?

As we are on subject, if anyone can recommend a good set of
fully-loaded touring forks, then please divulge.

Many thanks,

Lief

All but the very cheapest V-brakes are easy to set up and very
reliable. I use the Avid Single Digit 7 model now (the 5 or 3 are
just fine also). I've also used low cost Taiwanese V brakes that were
effective and easy to work with, but not so nicely finished. The key
to an easy set-up is that the brakes have an adjusting screw on each
arm. Also, it is important to note that you will have to match the
levers to the calipers. Cantis use the same levers as side pulls.
These levers have a greater mechanical advantage and pull less cable
per unit of lever motion then do V-brake levers. So, if you are using
brifters, then consider cantis or mini V-brakes. Also, there are
levers for drop bars that will work with standard V-brakes. Check
with http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/hub.html for these. If you
are using flat bars, then any modern mountain bike lever will work
with V-brakes.

Unless you are bound for mud or snow, using disk brakes seems to be of
questionable advantage. Mechanical and hydraulic versions are heavy,
costly, and may cause the front wheel to loosen while riding. Please
read the threads concerning front wheel loosening issues vs. disk
brakes in this newsgroup before you decide. If you choose to use disk
brakes, you would want to have a fork and frame with the appropriate
mounting features. Of course, you will also need wheels with disk
hubs. It does start to add up to real $$$ and you've got to ask
yourself why?

Fork recommendations: I've been using an inexpensive Tange chrome
molly fork. It cost me under $50.00, has V-brake bosses and one
eyelet located on each dropout. It has been trouble free for the one
season I've used it. I do not tour, but I do weigh 215 lbs., so the
fork sees a total of 240 lbs. (me plus the bike) every day.

Steve Shapiro
Old July 21st 03, 09:51 PM
Phillip Stevens

I swapped a Magura HS-66 rim hydraulic (drop levers) on my Touring bike for
an Avid mechanical on the front only (to get SDI rear changing).

Result: at 160mm disk the result was worse than the Magura hydraulic rim
system. But having become addicted to SDI, I persisted with a 185mm
"extreme" disk. Now the thing stops on a dime. Compare steep drop-offs where
friends on road bikes (Dura-ace, etc) get cramps in both hands, I've two
finger braking (I don't use the rear except when stopping at road
furniture).

If you're touring fully loaded, take a lot of spare pads (small but
expensive). In Hong Kong I went through a set every 4 to 6 weeks. Now I'm in
the UK, brakes are rarely needed. But touring fully loaded will eat pads for
breakfast.

And BTW non-original pads won't fit. There is an auxiliary spacer spring
that fits around the pad material tightly. Avid shapes their material to
allow it to fit. Non-originals were caught by 2001 model magnetic mounting
example and have not "fitted" their material exactly, resulting in the
spacer spring not fitting, in my experience.

Phillip

Old July 22nd 03, 12:41 AM
asqui

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:
I only use cantilevers on my touring bike. I wouldn't trust v-brakes
fully loaded for distances. Maybe others would, but I wouldn't.

I would.
I've toured with Vs with no problem.
Usually tour with cantilever.
I've never had any problem with V-brakes and have had plenty with
cantilevers.

I have Tektro cantilever (wide profile, by Sheldon's terminology
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html) brakes on my Dawes
Horizon. Compared to the Weinmann "U-style" brakes I had on my 15+ year old
Eddy Merckx, which I gather are also a type of cantilever, these are pretty
poor. They feel spongy and unresponsive, even after fully adjusted.

Though the Weinmanns are poorer still in comparison to the "V-style" brakes
on my friend's mountain bike -- let's just say I now believe all his praise
of V-Brakes and "I can pull an endo with one finger" ranting. But perhaps
that is a little extreme... I don't need something so responsive that I'm
going to wash out the front if a fly lands on my finger while I'm braking,
but I did like the brake response on the Eddy. (His girlfriend was riding
with me the other day and she locked up the rear pretty severely coming up
to some traffic lights, but she is an inexperienced rider.)

Dani