Camping delights

Old August 14th 05, 05:57 PM
cathwood

Default Camping delights

Hi,
I've just returned from a weekend camping at a place called Shell
Island.

I took my Onza because it is a place of many grassy fields and the odd
gentle hill.

I rode round the island on the grassy slopes and along the track (which
was a bit of a pain cos I had to get off and stand at the side every
time a car came). It was a bit windy and the sea around the island was
the colour of welsh slate but I managed to ride every day.

And not one person asked me where my other wheel was - not one. Last
week, on an hour's ride, I had seven such questions. On three rides
during camping, noone said it. Bliss! And even more - one young lad said
"is that a unicycle? my sister's got one". And I was talking to a guy
(about age 50) who had a unicycle at home but wasn't riding at the
moment because of a work-related injury. He said he was going to
persuade his wife to let him buy a unicycle more like mine.

I guess you just find a more relaxed class of people camping.

Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old August 14th 05, 07:40 PM
arcane

It sounds like you were in a little piece of heaven.

--
arcane - See my power!

I refuse to enter a battle of wits with an unarmed man. -Unknown
arcane's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10051

Old August 14th 05, 09:20 PM
Mikefule

cathwood wrote:
*Hi,
I've just returned from a weekend camping at a place called Shell
Island.
*

Shell Island, called Mochras by the locals? (Not sure of the spelling,
could be Mocras.) Small island connected by a causeway accessible at
low tide, somewhere on the Welsh coast? If so, I had many family
camping holdiays there as a child.

Did you find my red spade?

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Old August 14th 05, 10:41 PM
cathwood

Mikefule wrote:
*Shell Island, called Mochras by the locals? (Not sure of the
spelling, could be Mocras.) Small island connected by a causeway
accessible at low tide, somewhere on the Welsh coast? If so, I had
many family camping holdiays there as a child.

Did you find my red spade? *

Yeah. Right place, but didn't find any red spade. Sorry. Also didn't
find my son's tooth - which was the first of his ever to fall out. Never
mind the tooth fairy came anyway.

Small world.

Did you enjoy your camping holidays at Mochras? I could do without the
smelly toilets, rain and wind myself but it's part of our marital
'contract'. Jim comes to juggling/unicycle conventions with me and I go
camping/abroad with him. It works most of the time. As long as I can
take a unicycle along.

And wonder of wonders - I also did my usual 7 miles along the prom with
no other wheel comments. People were very positive and friendly. Must be
something in the air this weekend.

Cathy

Old August 14th 05, 11:36 PM
Mikefule

cathwood wrote:
*Jim comes to juggling/unicycle conventions with me and I go
camping/abroad with him.*

Shell Island isn't abroad. Accept nothing less than Paris. You know
you're worth it!

We had great holidays on Shell Island. It was before I became a
vegetarian, and my dad and I used to collect winkles at low tide, then
cook them for supper. I remember a stormy weekend there when we had to
tie the frame tent to the car with the tow rope. When I was just
getting into snorkelling (I later became a very keen scuba diver) I
spent many hours in the murky waters of Mochras, and saw my first wild
fish. I was so startled that I stood up. (It was only shallow - I was
even shorter then!)

Oh, happy days.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Life is making good memories: for yourself, your friends, then for those
you leave behind. And if you are fortunate, for those who come after.

Old August 15th 05, 03:35 AM
forrestunifreak

Thats neat.

We're going camping this weekend, Im taking my muni of course, but it
will be wayyyy back in the backcountry, im sure there's noone for miles
and miles away. Real wildernessy. Only about two hours away from my
house.

--
forrestunifreak - The buck stops here.

warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.

it has been known to the state of california to cause warts, toe jam,
ring-around-the-collar, compulsive twitching, and in some severe cases,
' diaper rash.' (http://tinyurl.com/ct5lp)
it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pshycological nudity, and
traces of peanuts.

Team YAMS member.....

Old August 15th 05, 02:12 PM
yoopers

Cathy,

We do quite a bit of camping over the summer at a local campground and
always take our trailer full of unicycles. The campground kids love to
try them and some of the kids actually learn to ride by the end of the
weekend. Over the years, we've seen many kids come back with their own
unicycles. Just happened again this past weekend.

We weren't camping but I was in charge of the music for the church
service at the campground yesterday so we were there. One boy who
learned on our unicycles last month was back camping again sporting a
brand new 24" uni. He had become pretty proficient and was tooling
around the grounds to the pleasure of his parents. I was pretty proud
of him as well.

We had to scoot right after church to get to 'our own unicycle
performance' (http://tinyurl.com/dgmp6).

Camping and uni's are just the perfect fit.

Bruce

--
yoopers - Bruce & Mary Edwards

`_______
/L ,[____],
L---L –0LLLLLLL0-
()_) ()_)----)_)

Munipsycho on the art of raising children: "My job is not to keep them
from falling. It's to teach them to always get back up."

Always give lots of credit and take very little. Seems to make everyone
happier. Conversely, take as much responsibility for mistakes as one can
assume! - Dr. Bobo

unicycledude93: Steve Dekeokeok
unicycledude93: Yoopers
Byrnetown: haha, those are old guys

yoopers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/31

Old August 15th 05, 08:36 PM
cathwood

Shell Island isn't abroad. Accept nothing less than Paris. You know
you're worth it!

Thanks Mikefule.

Will Turkey do? We're going on Sunday. And yes, I am taking my uni, the
20" will just about fit into my suitcase!

The campground kids love to try them and some of the kids actually
learn to ride by the end of the weekend. Over the years, we've seen
many kids come back with their own unicycles.

Yoopers, that must feel great. So far I have only lured one person into
unicycling - my husband. Mind you, there are a few on the way at the
circus club.

Keep up the good work.

Cathy

Old August 15th 05, 09:45 PM
innes

I was thinking about how small you could pack down a unicycle for
traveling, and I found these folding pedals: 'Folding pedals'
(http://tinyurl.com/ao7re)

They are very expensive, but there could be some others out there that
are cheaper. It would be a good way to pack up a unicycle, and
reassemble it with out any tools. You could use a quick release for the
seat post, and fold the pedals, and it wouldn't take up that much
room.

Innes

--
innes - Unicyclist
innes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9123

bicycle camping C.J.Patten General 136 June 17th 05 12:12 PM
OT camping on usenet DDEckerslyke UK 8 April 4th 05 06:39 PM
Camping in Moab nbrazzi Unicycling 12 March 17th 05 05:12 AM
WTB: Decent 1-man Tent for Bike Camping Tony B UK 38 August 30th 04 10:16 PM
Tips for first overnight camping MTB trip Trevor S Australia 14 August 16th 03 05:00 PM