Bike Rack, or how to transport a trike?

Old August 7th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
SMS

Default Bike Rack, or how to transport a trike?

Jerry ? wrote:

Subject- Bike Rack, or how to transport a trike? I have a 2008 Yaris
and just had a trailer hitch installed on it. I also have a Sun Bike
EZ-3SX which I really enjoy. I'm looking for ways to transport my
trike to Rapid City to take advantage of some of the bike trails. I
live about 15 miles from Rapid City and no where really neat to ride
here. I want to be able to do some of the bike rides and trails in the
Black Hills. I'm diebetic, need the excerise, and the EZ-3 is my way
of doing it. I'm up to 2 miles each day and working on increasing it.
So I need sugguestions on how to transport my bike. My wife has a
regular bike and by taking the front and rear tires off we can get it
in the car. Either plans for a homemade carrier, or a commericial
one, any sugguestions??

See "http://cyclesimplex.com/trike-racks.asp"
Old August 9th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Roger Zoul

Another one: http://www.hitchrider.com/trike-rack.htm

Old December 6th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Cole[_2_]

gotbent wrote:
"trailgalore" wrote in message
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Jerry ? wrote:

I have a 2008 Yaris
and just had a trailer hitch installed on it. I also have a Sun Bike
EZ-3SX which I really enjoy. I'm looking for ways to transport my
trike to Rapid City to take advantage of some of the bike trails.
Either plans for a homemade carrier, or a commericial
one, any sugguestions?

Duh, U have trailer hitch, attach trailer to it, thus have way to
transport bikes. A Yaris can pull small trailer. I've an Chevy Aveo, thats
how I transport my Cat trike n other bikes.
.

A trailer would be a good solution if there is a place to store it. I saw a
light trailer that IIRC folded to reduce width, was light and easy to move
around by hand and was designed to be stored sitting on the tailgate so it
took up little precious floor space. Don't remember cost or maker...sorry.
FWIW, I have a Subaru Forester and a trike which fits inside if I fold down
the rear seats. I have also carried a trike on the roof of the car using one
crossbar and a couple of tie-down cargo straps. Bit of a PITA and requires
enough strength to lift the trike to the roof. That would have been a
perfect opportunity to have used a trailer.

gotbent aka FRVT rider

This is similar to a problem I had car topping a 10', ~100lb rowboat. It
was a two man job -- literally, not one man one woman -- not my wife,
anyway.

The solution I came up with was to make a frame to fit over/on the car
rack. The frame has 2 carpet covered runners and a crossbar that
overhangs the roof (hatchback) in the rear. First, I put the frame on
the car rack & tie it down, then we carry the boat and lean the bow on
the rear crossbar (stern on ground), then I (solo) lift the stern &
slide the boat onto the frame. The whole thing took about an hour to
make, 2x4 crossbars & 1x6 slides. It cost me nothing as my neighbor just
had a (siding) delivery & I used his discarded pallet.

I should be simple to make something similar for a trike. It might have
to be 2 parts, a frame (like for my boat), and a second frame (sled) for
the bike. Being a much lighter load, more modestly dimensioned lumber
would work. I envision the second frame simply being a couple of 10-12'
lengths of 2x3 with a couple of cross members to attach front & rear
trike wheels. Depending on the geometry of the car & its roof rack, you
might not even need the first frame. You just need to be able to lift
only one end at a time & be able to slide the bike on & off.