Bridle paths

Old June 3rd 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Bridle paths

As I'm thinking about getting back into off-road riding, I thought I'd
have a look to see where bridle paths are around here. I am right in
thinking that cyclists are allowed to use bridle paths, aren't I?
Anything I need to be aware of that might not be obvious, like can there
be local byelaws prohibiting access?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 3rd 06, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Paul Boyd typed

As I'm thinking about getting back into off-road riding, I thought I'd
have a look to see where bridle paths are around here. I am right in
thinking that cyclists are allowed to use bridle paths, aren't I?
Anything I need to be aware of that might not be obvious, like can there
be local byelaws prohibiting access?

AIUI cyclists on biycles can use bridleways, tricycles cannot.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old June 3rd 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

in message , Paul
Boyd ') wrote:

As I'm thinking about getting back into off-road riding, I thought I'd
have a look to see where bridle paths are around here. I am right in
thinking that cyclists are allowed to use bridle paths, aren't I?
Anything I need to be aware of that might not be obvious, like can
there be local byelaws prohibiting access?

Where are you? If in Scotland, it's legal to cycle pretty much
everywhere, whether there's a path there or not. In England, it's pretty
much the opposite.

;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.
Old June 3rd 06, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Paul Boyd wrote:
As I'm thinking about getting back into off-road riding, I thought I'd
have a look to see where bridle paths are around here. I am right in
thinking that cyclists are allowed to use bridle paths, aren't I?
Anything I need to be aware of that might not be obvious, like can there
be local byelaws prohibiting access?

Bridleways and byways and either RUPP's or their replacement, restricted
byways depending on how old your map is, but not footpaths.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old June 3rd 06, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Paul Boyd wrote:
As I'm thinking about getting back into off-road riding, I thought I'd
have a look to see where bridle paths are around here. I am right in
thinking that cyclists are allowed to use bridle paths, aren't I?
Anything I need to be aware of that might not be obvious, like can there
be local byelaws prohibiting access?

Highway code might help. I think it says cyclists can use bridleways
but must give way to horses.
Where bridleways are also tracks, you might encounter motrobikes or
4x4s - some legitimately accessing wherever the track leads but often
taking a shortcut or out for fun.

peter

Old June 3rd 06, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Paul Boyd wrote:
As I'm thinking about getting back into off-road riding, I thought I'd
have a look to see where bridle paths are around here. I am right in
thinking that cyclists are allowed to use bridle paths, aren't I?
Anything I need to be aware of that might not be obvious, like can there
be local byelaws prohibiting access?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Might be of use...

http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebik...ffroadlaw.html

Old June 4th 06, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Brooke wrote:

Where are you? If in Scotland, it's legal to cycle pretty much
everywhere, whether there's a path there or not. In England, it's pretty
much the opposite.

So you are saying in England its legal to cycle pretty much nowhere ? Or
in otherwords it's illegal to cycle pretty much everywhere. To the OP,
this is not true.
Old June 4th 06, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Paul Boyd wrote:
As I'm thinking about getting back into off-road riding, I thought I'd
have a look to see where bridle paths are around here. I am right in
thinking that cyclists are allowed to use bridle paths, aren't I?
Anything I need to be aware of that might not be obvious, like can there
be local byelaws prohibiting access?

British Waterways canal towpaths require a permit which is downloadable
from their website.
Old June 4th 06, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Thanks to all for your helpful responses. I'm in England, but Wales
would come into it as well. I'm aware of the voluntary ban on cycling
on bridle paths in Snowdonia at certain times though. I've printed off
the document pointed out by thebikezone, so that'll be a bit of bedtime
reading!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 4th 06, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

MSeries wrote:
Paul Boyd wrote:
As I'm thinking about getting back into off-road riding, I thought I'd
have a look to see where bridle paths are around here. I am right in
thinking that cyclists are allowed to use bridle paths, aren't I?
Anything I need to be aware of that might not be obvious, like can there
be local byelaws prohibiting access?

British Waterways canal towpaths require a permit which is downloadable
from their website.

So that's how you get the thing. I have twice tried to buy one in
pre-internet days with no success. The closest I came was finding a
locked hut or shed along the canal where one could get one assuming the
hut was open. However they listed no hours.
Still I did enjoy the rides
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada