Tracing Routes on Google Maps

Old July 21st 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

Default Tracing Routes on Google Maps

I just used this site for the first time to document a recent ride:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com

Very nice. I like it, but does anyone know of a similar site that is
better oriented to cycling.

Two improvements that I would like to see are accumulated elevation gain
and a bigger map window on the page (the latter, alone, would be an
improvement).

Has anyone found anything better?

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old July 21st 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Jon Forrest

Chuck Anderson wrote:
I just used this site for the first time to document a recent ride:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com

Very nice. I like it, but does anyone know of a similar site that is
better oriented to cycling.
Two improvements that I would like to see are accumulated elevation gain
and a bigger map window on the page (the latter, alone, would be an
improvement).
Has anyone found anything better?

No, but another great idea would be to document the quality
of roads from the point of view of bike riding. Imagine
being able to look at a map and see which roads to take and
which to avoid.

--Jon-
Old July 21st 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

http://favoriterun.com/
http://routeslip.com/
all three have thier pluses and minuses.

Old July 21st 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

wrote:
http://favoriterun.com/
http://routeslip.com/
all three have their pluses and minuses.

Thanks for those.

In addition I have now also found this one:
http://www.bikely.com/

So far I like http://www.gmap-pedometer.com the best (easy to use,
displays quickly, mile markers, and elevation profile). Runslip and
Bikely, though, look like they have the best potential for cyclists.
They are both in sort of a beta stage (Runslip more so than Bikely).

Runslip is very nice - and includes elevation profiles. It does have
some drawbacks, though:
1. I don't see mile markers.
2. Maps won't load in Firefox (?? I use 1.0.7 and "some" extensions).
3. The maps are smaller than gmap-pedometer and runslip.

And not a drawback at all, but note that you must create a login to make
maps.

Runslip also lets you print a "cue sheet" of sorts (I didn't take a look
at one yet - the one I checked looked empty and I didn't send the job to
my printer).

----------------

Bikely looks pretty good. At least the maps load in my Firefox browser,
and much faster than routeslip (about the same speed as gmap-pedometer).
You can add comments along the route - a very useful feature. The
problems to me a
1. I do not see mile markers.
2. No elevation profiles.
3. No printable cue sheet.

Again, sign up is required.

Bikely has a nice feature allowing you to download an XML .gpx file of
your route (useful for GPS or can be translated to a format usable in
Google Earth).

The sign up on the above two only makes sense as they both keep track of
individuals maps and route locations are searchable. With Gmap-pedometer
all you can do is share your route with others by giving them the URL to
your route.

Favoriterun is for runners and requires sign up, so I didn't even take a
further look.

I think Runslip and Bikely are the two to watch and see how they improve
with time (They almost ought to merge, as this could become a great
resource for detailed route information anywhere in the world.)

If I am wrong about any of the above, please make corrections.

I think the ideal route mapping application (online) would have:
- mile markers on the route map
- an elevation profile (total elevation gain would be a nice add-on)
- comments along the route (what to look for - and description of
complicated turns)
- printable cue sheet
- printable elevation profile (gmap-pedometer requires scrolling the window)
- searchable database of routes
- some optimization for speed of loading (runslip is slow and CPU intensive)

A couple of years ago, I would have thought about learning how to use
the Google Maps API and begun forging ahead on my own. Unfortunately,
I've gotten pretty burnt out on writing web applications (for no-$$$).
.......... I'd rather get out and ride!

Chuck Anderson wrote:

I just used this site for the first time to document a recent ride:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com

Very nice. I like it, but does anyone know of a similar site that is
better oriented to cycling.

Two improvements that I would like to see are accumulated elevation gain
and a bigger map window on the page (the latter, alone, would be an
improvement).

Has anyone found anything better?

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson · Boulder, CO
http://www.CycleTourist.com
*****************************

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
http://www.CycleTourist.com
Everyone's journey should be different,
so that we all are enriched
in new and endless ways
*****************************
Old July 21st 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

Jon Forrest wrote:
Chuck Anderson wrote:

I just used this site for the first time to document a recent ride:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com

Very nice. I like it, but does anyone know of a similar site that is
better oriented to cycling.
Two improvements that I would like to see are accumulated elevation gain
and a bigger map window on the page (the latter, alone, would be an
improvement).
Has anyone found anything better?

No, but another great idea would be to document the quality
of roads from the point of view of bike riding. Imagine
being able to look at a map and see which roads to take and
which to avoid.

--Jon-

Colorado has an online (pdf) map with this information:
http://www.dot.state.co.us/BikePed/maps.htm (State Map)

The comments that you can add to the Bikely routes (see my other post)
could sure help in this regard. Route creators could describe any
necessary road conditions (no shoulder, wide shoulder, broken up
pavement, ....)

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old July 24th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Jon Forrest wrote:
Chuck Anderson wrote:
I just used this site for the first time to document a recent ride:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com

Very nice. I like it, but does anyone know of a similar site that is
better oriented to cycling.
Two improvements that I would like to see are accumulated elevation gain
and a bigger map window on the page (the latter, alone, would be an
improvement).
Has anyone found anything better?

No, but another great idea would be to document the quality
of roads from the point of view of bike riding. Imagine
being able to look at a map and see which roads to take and
which to avoid.

--Jon-

One can find an excellent example of this he

http://www.njbikemap.com

Apparently, he is now venturing out into Pennsylvannia.

-bdbafh

Old July 26th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Sweet Old Bob

Chuck Anderson wrote:

Bikely looks pretty good. At least the maps load in my Firefox browser,
and much faster than routeslip (about the same speed as gmap-pedometer).
You can add comments along the route - a very useful feature.

I've checked out a couple, and so far I like Bikely the best. Map
display is larger and you can add comments - which is very useful.

Bikely has a nice feature allowing you to download an XML .gpx file of
your route (useful for GPS or can be translated to a format usable in
Google Earth).

Last year my son bought me a Garmin GPS unit. I mounted it on the
bike, it's more of a tool than a toy than I thought. I'm still unsure
about this .gpx-to-GPS business. I think I'm map-impaired or
something. Part of the problem is that, when I'm on the road, I might
know where I am but don't know where I want to go!

The sign up on the above two only makes sense as they both keep track of
individuals maps and route locations are searchable. With Gmap-pedometer
all you can do is share your route with others by giving them the URL to
your route.

Yes. Remember to make a note of the URL or I don't think you can find
it again. Then keep some kindofa database of routes you've created and
the URL. Makes it handy for sharing.

Sometimes I think I'd rather not know about the elevations; might
discourage me from even starting out!

Slight OT Google Maps Dave A Australia 23 May 20th 06 03:57 AM
gps with google maps Simon Brooke UK 3 September 10th 05 10:19 AM
Google maps Paul A. Steckler General 8 August 1st 05 06:34 AM
TdF stage routes on google earch Joel Little Australia 0 July 13th 05 01:37 PM