Clipless trikers?

Old December 15th 08, 02:52 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Default Clipless trikers?

Bernhard Agthe wrote:

Well, there are some floors that will get damaged when walking with the
SPD-shoes with recessed cleat (at least if the shoe has seen a bit of
use) - they will leave very ugly marks in wooden floor for example. It
*might* be an issue but you won't know until it's too late ;-)

I have wooden floors, I have recessed cleat shoes (Diadoras with Time
ATAC cleats), I have no trouble. Mileage will clearly vary between designs.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old December 15th 08, 02:54 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Bernhard Agthe

Hi,

Peter Clinch wrote:
Since you never have to worry about unclipping without warning on a
trike there's not much reason not to: you get your feet held in place
rather than having to hold them up yourself which is nice on a 'bent,
and power transmission is more effective.

I have seen rather typical MTB pedals with bolted-on
hook-and-strap-pedal that had a sturdy expander cord attached to the
back. Was a bit sub-optimal to get into but did keep the feet on the
pedal very well.

Downside is capital cost and having to walk around in your cycling shoes
off the trike, but get a touring or MTB pair and that's a bit of a
non-isse anyway.

Well, there are some floors that will get damaged when walking with the
SPD-shoes with recessed cleat (at least if the shoe has seen a bit of
use) - they will leave very ugly marks in wooden floor for example. It
*might* be an issue but you won't know until it's too late ;-)

Actually I once saw a site from a trike owner, who removed the pedal
outer cage and attached a roughly foot-shaped piece of sheet-aluminium
with a ridge mounted along the back side. He actually added some sheet
foam and was able to ride barefoot ;-)

Ciao..

Old December 15th 08, 05:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jeff Grippe

"32GO" wrote in message
On Dec 12, 9:07 pm, " wrote:
... I'm curious if any trikers here have [click-in pedals]. If so, do you
like it?
What kind of pedals did you get?

In our trike shop, we insist that test riders on tadpoles use click-in
pedals,
even though for most of our customers it's a first time experience and
takes a bit of getting used to. But the safety factor of positive foot
retention
to prevent one slipping off and getting caught beneath the tadpole's
crossbeam. Aside from the initial learning process of using these
pedals,
there doesn't seem to be any significant downside. New shoes and
pedals
are available very cheaply ($50 to $100 for both, with typically much
better
quality than the OEM 'plain' pedals. Used stuff can almost always be
found more cheaply on eBay or Craig's List.

Shimano SPD compatible systems are by far the most popular, and make
it easy to switch trikes with another tadpole owner for brief test
rides. My
personal preference, however, is the egg-beater system originally sold
by
Crank Brothers.

Regards,
Wayne
3-2-GO: The Trike Store
Ventura CA

I've never tried one that I like. When I made the move from bike to trike I
decided to give lock and pedal system another try but I had the same
problems on a trike that I had on a bike. I hate the small surface area and
the inability to change the point where my foot meets the pedal. I went back
to pedals and toe clips and was happy.

Jeff

Old December 28th 08, 07:35 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Roger Zoul

wrote in message
Hello,

I'd like to equip my recumbent trike with clipless pedals, and I'm
curious if any trikers here have done the same thing.

If so, do you like it? What kind of pedals did you get?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=10045

I certainly like not getting leg suck.

Should I go clipless? dgk General 48 May 28th 05 04:23 PM
Gone Clipless DJ Australia 21 November 16th 04 04:00 PM
Going clipless cc Mountain Biking 17 June 13th 04 09:18 PM
Going Clipless iarocu UK 37 April 24th 04 04:41 PM
Clipless... joona Unicycling 47 January 14th 04 08:03 AM