Cities Turning to Bicycles

Old September 17th 04, 11:43 PM
Fx199

Bicycles
From: "Mark Jones"
Date: 9/17/2004 1:01 PM US Eastern Standard Time

You mean busy bodies whose mission in life is to wag their
finger at anyone who isn't doing things according to what
they think is acceptable?

Thank you, Mark, you aren't alone in thinking that. How does simply enjoying
riding a bike turn people into a bunch of delusional holier than though
politwits?
Old September 17th 04, 11:46 PM
Fx199

ull****! Insurance costs me about $100 a month even though I only drive
maybe 20 miles or so a month, and that is only when I absolutely have to.

Doesn'[t mean everyon'es costs that much just for basic PLPD

Going to pick up a new vacuum for my wife, taking the kids to the once a
month junk food feast, buying hardware that won't fit on a bike, trailer
or not. The insurance company just says that is I want to drive legally I
have to pay their blood money. I also never buy a car that costs more than
$2000.00 because I will never get my investment back on a new car, so it
doesn't matter how much I have available to spend on a car to impress my
friends (they don't care, they know me) and my neighbors (SUV addicts). I
could buy a Hummer H-1 (original Arnold type) and impress the **** out of
my neighbors,

Sure if you cash in your life savings.
H1's are 100 grand.

Sure you've got the money...uh huh

but why if I would never drive it and it would cost me $50.00
to back it out of the driveway, Diesel, insurance, depreciation, etc.
A bike may make me look like a geek to them but I dare any local 30 year
old
couch potato to race me on foot or bike around the block or around town.
I have more money and time for wht counts, they have 30 pounds of excess
fat
and credit card bills to match, and I am happier and way healthier.
Who is winning?
Bill Baka

OOOh big tough guy, he only races couch potatoes

Old September 17th 04, 11:53 PM
Fx199

The Corvette gets whatever maintenance it needs along with as
many parts as it needs to continue looking like a new car. I do
not want to go to this much trouble with my truck, so it will get
traded in at very low mileage.

Corvettes get surprising very good mileage on the highway and decent overall
mileage for a V8
Old September 18th 04, 12:38 AM
Eric S. Sande

There's just no way bicycles will replace cars. What if someone wants
to go somewhere when it's minus 5 degrees out and dark and the roads
are icy. They should only have a damned bicycle for a choice?

Well, in my case, I get on the damn bicycle and do it.

That's MY choice.

But perhaps you missed the intended humor.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old September 18th 04, 02:26 AM
Mark Jones

"Fx199" wrote in message
The gym is still great for cross training with doing some weight lifting
though.

I have my own weight bench and weights to get this type of exercise.

Old September 18th 04, 03:05 AM
Frank Krygowski

Subject: Cities Turning to Bicycles
From: Frank Krygowski...
But in my case, we were able to go from a two-car to a one-car family
for many years because of my bike commuting. We specifically chose a
house location that allowed that. (And, BTW, we used the cash from
selling the car to finance a bike tour of England and Scotland!)

My two vehicles are very modest and cost very little to own, you surely
couldn't fund a vacation from their worth...

Well, the car we sold (back in 1976) was a VW Beetle, about four years
old. Not much to take a vacation on...

.... but the trip around England and Scotland was for 3.5 weeks. It was
inexpensive and great fun. Traveling by bike is like that!

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old September 18th 04, 05:18 AM
R15757

Mark Jones mentioned:

I still haven't gotten down to the $1 per mile level with my Corvette.
It has less than 45,000 miles on it and so far it has probably cost
me at least $50,000 to own it.

Yeah but did it get you laid?
Old September 18th 04, 10:06 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Perfect utilization of the bike without getting preachy, thank you Helen

Gosh... (blush) cor, thanks ;-) Not quite perfect though - I still have a car
and I still use it - I just use it quite a bit less than I used to.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old September 18th 04, 02:35 PM
Fx199

Oh my god,

At first I seriously thought that was someone's satirical webpage, but
it really is a private luxury vehicle being marketed by International.

You know the SUV crowd has gone off the deep end when pictures of
their vehicles look like parodies.

relax, they're only making about 50 of those per year. That link is turning
into a knee-jerk propaganda page.