Cities Turning to Bicycles

Old September 19th 04, 02:57 PM
Fx199

George Conklin wrote:

"Mark Jones" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"RJ" wrote in message

You only bought lumber once in your life?

If I am needing a really large amount of lumber, I will have it
delivered instead of making several trips in my pickup.

Obviously this is a man who never has done anything practical in his life.

It's not obvious. Do you think he should go full monty and buy the land
forests, lumber comapanies etc... to get a sheet of plywood?

Jack Dingler

George Conklin wrote:

"Mark Jones" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"RJ" wrote in message

You only bought lumber once in your life?

If I am needing a really large amount of lumber, I will have it
delivered instead of making several trips in my pickup.

Obviously this is a man who never has done anything practical in his life.

It's not obvious. Do you think he should go full monty and buy the land
forests, lumber comapanies etc... to get a sheet of plywood?

Jack Dingler

Mark, he might have been replying to the guy who said he only needed lumber
once in his life.
Old September 19th 04, 02:58 PM
Fx199

As I keep writing, it was three tons of stone. I really don't think it
would be prudent to follow the advice given and buy a truck big enough
to haul it, and a forklift, just for this one time purchase. Still seems
stupid that you folks insist this is necessary.

Jack Dingler

No, it wouldn't, other people obviously need a pickup worse than you do, does
it matter.
Old September 19th 04, 04:23 PM
Claire Petersky

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...

That's just the point, cars are great to have when you want to use them.

I've made a concious decision to use my car less than I "want to".

Thich Nhat Hanh has a wonderful section devoted to this in his book, "Peace
Is Every Step", a book I highly recommend to everyone. If you go to my
bookcrossing bookshelf (link in the .sig below) and order books according to
rating, you'll find it and you can read the review.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old September 19th 04, 08:58 PM
Claire Petersky

[Trimmed off rec.bicycles.rides, and also rec.autos.driving on the list of
newsgroups.]

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
Brent P wrote:

Also, these humps, speed bumps, etc are also an annoyance on bicycle.

Not at all, in my experience.

I think it depends on design. We had a spirited discussion :-) at one of the
ped/bike advisory meetings with the design engineer about the design of
speed humps on a particular street. The neighborhood is gung-ho on traffic
calming because the street is both on the way to the local high school and
elementary school, and a back way in to a major employer (Microsoft), so it
sees more traffic than it was originally designed for.

The street is two lanes, curbed with fog lines. The question was, where do
you end the speed hump? You can end it at the fog line, but then you'll have
cars going over the fog line all the time to avoid the hump on the right
side. So, this was ruled out. The design engineer thought it might be a good
idea to end the speed hump half-way across the paved area between the fog
line and the curb. The cyclists present at the meeting objected, saying that
if you are a commuter, and riding in the dark, you might not realize you're
at the edge of the hump and lose your balance because you haven't hit the
hump square on. We argued for the hump going all the way to the curb. This
is how it eventually was built.

During the day, during light traffic, say on a weekend ride, you can aim
your bike down the slot they have for the emergency vehicles, which is about
where the left wheel well is, and avoid the hump completely. Otherwise, you
just ride over the hump, which even at 22 mph or so (what I'd average on the
downhill-ish side of the street) is noticeable, but not jarring.

Warm Regards,

CP

Old September 19th 04, 09:14 PM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:46:40 -0400, , Frank
Krygowski wrote:

Also, these humps, speed bumps, etc are also an annoyance on bicycle.

Not at all, in my experience.

There's some new ones on a route I frequently use that are somewhat
more of a nuisance than others. They're short but steep. There's no
posted speed but AFAICT they're shaped and spaced for about 15KmH.

There's a very small space for bicycles to bypass most of them but not
all. The rain gutter in the middle is tempting, being just wide enough
to take a bike tire, but the shape of the sides is steep and the
trough is full of debris.
--
zk
Old September 20th 04, 02:49 AM
Frank Krygowski

Krygowski wrote:

Also, these humps, speed bumps, etc are also an annoyance on bicycle.

Not at all, in my experience.

There's some new ones on a route I frequently use that are somewhat
more of a nuisance than others. They're short but steep. There's no
posted speed but AFAICT they're shaped and spaced for about 15KmH.

There's a very small space for bicycles to bypass most of them but not
all. The rain gutter in the middle is tempting, being just wide enough
to take a bike tire, but the shape of the sides is steep and the
trough is full of debris.

I'll accept that some are probably better than others. And I'll admit
that I've biked over just a few of them - three separate neighborhoods
worth that I can recall, in three different cities.

But of the ones I tried all were bike friendly. Sort of a pleasant
"whoop-de-doo" and not the least inclined to make me lose control. If I
were going over them at 25 mph, I might want to stand up, but that's all.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old September 20th 04, 03:41 AM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:49:56 -0400, ,
Frank Krygowski wrote of speed humps:

But of the ones I tried all were bike friendly. Sort of a pleasant
"whoop-de-doo" and not the least inclined to make me lose control. If I
were going over them at 25 mph, I might want to stand up, but that's all.

Most of the newer ones are so gentle that it's nothing to ride over
them without hands. There's some designed for 30KmH that unless I'm
leaning forward, the front wheel goes airborne at 37KmH.
--
zk
Old September 21st 04, 09:20 PM
Zoot Katz

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:33:50 GMT,
. net,
"Mark Jones" wrote:

There are a lot more narrow speed bumps where I live than
there are wide ones.

So. Slow down. That's why they're there.
Or don't slow down and trash your stinky toy.
Either way you're going to whine.

BWAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!
--
zk
Old September 22nd 04, 01:38 AM
Mark Jones

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:33:50 GMT,
. net,
"Mark Jones" wrote:

There are a lot more narrow speed bumps where I live than
there are wide ones.

So. Slow down. That's why they're there.
Or don't slow down and trash your stinky toy.
Either way you're going to whine.

I don't need to slow down because I do not speed in
residential areas. Too many ways to have an accident
because of kids playing and people entering and leaving
driveways.

You are the one whining because I have a performance
car and you don't like them. Get over it.

Old September 22nd 04, 04:37 AM
Frank Krygowski

Mark Jones wrote:

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

So. Slow down. That's why they're there.
Or don't slow down and trash your stinky toy.
Either way you're going to whine.

I'm glad Zoot said that. I'm trying hard to be diplomatic, so it's good
to have someone speak right up!

I don't need to slow down because I do not speed in
residential areas. Too many ways to have an accident
because of kids playing and people entering and leaving
driveways.

And this is perfectly sensible!

Owning a "performance car" is no crime. The problems come when
motorists (whether in performance cars or minivans) get too
self-important, and impose on others.

It's merely annoying when the imposition is, say, loud exhaust noise.
But it's much more serious when it's speeding through residential
neighborhoods to save a few seconds.

If more drivers thought like Mark, traffic calming measures like speed
humps would be much less necessary. And I think all of us would prefer
that.

--
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]